Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Lexus follow the FI trend

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 03:52 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Lexus follow the FI trend

I was wondering
Mercedes Benz is going completely turbocharged by 2010. Lots of supercharged cars.
Audi has been turbo charging their engines, more specifically the I4, since forever. They've got the RS6, v10 turbo, plus a lot of other stuff.
BMW, after a very very long sting with NA engines, released the n54 engine(135i, 335i, 535i,) which have little to no lag and also theres rumors of M division considering FI.

Makes me wonder, what are their japanese competitors going to do? More specifically, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura and plans for the future, with balance of performance and more importantly efficiency in mind? Grace me with your wisdom Car Chat.

Of course Subies, Mitsu, GTR, etc. dont count. I'm talking direct competitors
Old 08-02-08, 04:05 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i thought acura had already started to follow the trend with the RDX (k23a1)?
Old 08-02-08, 04:15 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tcr101
yeah forgot about that. oopsies
Old 08-02-08, 06:06 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

if you notice.. toyota barely has any turboed engine.. maybe even none at the moment?
Old 08-02-08, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Toyota's focus is hybrids.
Old 08-02-08, 10:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Right now, Toyota is unlikely to jump into FI. The rumor currently though is that in a few years Toyota will get back into FI with electrically-assisted turbo engines. That's supposedly Toyota's goal in terms of FI, but we'll see what happens.
Old 08-02-08, 11:59 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Right now, Toyota is unlikely to jump into FI. The rumor currently though is that in a few years Toyota will get back into FI with electrically-assisted turbo engines. That's supposedly Toyota's goal in terms of FI, but we'll see what happens.
Yeah.... more specifically variable geometry, electrically assisted turbos.
Old 08-02-08, 01:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tcr101
Not really,they stuffed turbos on a 4 cylinder, in a SUV of all things. No one else has followed that oxymoron.

Lexus power is comparable and so is their performance without FI. Their engines compression also does not make it attractive.

Lexus "turbo" are hybrid
s. Instant torque and power at any time. Passing power is incredible.

Old 08-02-08, 04:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of their new engines are so efficient, that I don't think they will need to turn to FI for decent power and gas mileage.

Valvematic will hit the mainstream in the next few years, plus dual vvti, direct injection, etc. Their commitment to engine technology is impressive IMO, as opposed to just dumbing down the engine and slapping on a turbo.

A lot of people, myself included, are turned off by the maintenance and dicey longevity of turbos.
Old 08-02-08, 05:07 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
if you notice.. toyota barely has any turboed engine.. maybe even none at the moment?
They have the turboed diesel v8 in the Land Cruisers overseas, and they have other turbo diesel engines, if you count the aftermarket TRD turbos, then Toyota cars in Japan have a bit of choices
Old 08-02-08, 06:22 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yeah.... more specifically variable geometry, electrically assisted turbos.
+1 Tru this

Here's a really cool read on Toyota R&D labs research into the future of FI.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108916/article.html

"In a seminal paper, Hiroshi Uchida of the Toyota Central Research and Development Labs has given a dramatic technical insight into where turbocharging is headed. The paper, Trends in Turbocharging Technologies, shows how turbos will be used in the next decade of high fuel efficiency, low CO2 emissions engines. Linking compound twin turbocharging with electric motor assist and variable geometry turbos, Uchida explains the form in which turbos will dominate production car engineering."

'...."It seems clear, therefore, that in the future the individual development of engines and turbochargers will be supplanted by the development of turbocharged engine systems.

“Turbocharged engines incorporating new technologies are expected to make a major contribution to satisfying the demands for reduced CO and NOx emissions.“

"And when you see your first twin turbo, twin intercooler, electric assist turbo Toyota – you read it here first!"

Last edited by MelF1fan; 08-02-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 08:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Many of their new engines are so efficient, that I don't think they will need to turn to FI for decent power and gas mileage.

Valvematic will hit the mainstream in the next few years, plus dual vvti, direct injection, etc. Their commitment to engine technology is impressive IMO, as opposed to just dumbing down the engine and slapping on a turbo.

A lot of people, myself included, are turned off by the maintenance and dicey longevity of turbos.
Don't forget Dual VVT-iE. Combined with Valvematic, that means a fully electric variable valve timing and lift system, most likely before any other automaker, including Honda.

Your points about turbos are certainly valid, and that is one big reason why Toyota is working towards electrically-assisted turbos. Electric assist means little to no turbo lag, and it also means less wear and tear on the turbo, improving longetivity/reliability and reducing maintenance.
Old 08-02-08, 11:30 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus will be behind the 8 ball as far as performance goes if they don't follow suit I am afraid. Their currently lineup is nice but not fast enough. They need the F models to really take off and get better with each one.
Old 08-02-08, 11:57 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

what if lexus.... combines turbo with hybrid

imagine, electric motors for low rpm torque, turbos for high rpm horsepower
Old 08-03-08, 02:31 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Don't forget Dual VVT-iE. Combined with Valvematic, that means a fully electric variable valve timing and lift system, most likely before any other automaker, including Honda.
it's amazing that I 1st heard about fully electronic valves back in 1998 from a teacher I had, still waiting to see this happen

Quick Reply: Will Lexus follow the FI trend