Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Announces Prices for 2009 RAV4 SUV (Page 2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 05:22 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota should sell these new RAV4's by the boat load. Decent power, great mileage, Toyota reliability. Perhaps next a hybrid version getting 30-35mpg should about do it!
Old 08-05-08, 06:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 08-05-08, 08:23 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering this car. I've been wanting to trade in the IS for a GS350 but a while now. But this car doesn't look so bad plus its half the price! And with another one on the way I could really use the extra room. Plus I have always hated the tire on the back, now with that gone.... I think I'm game.
Old 08-05-08, 10:02 PM
xioix
Racer

Wow, with the new upgraded I4, the V6 is still very close to it in MPG
Old 08-05-08, 10:39 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I must say it looks good, and the price ain't too shabby with all the features, although they should have taken the spare tire off from the rear on all models.
Old 08-05-08, 11:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101
I haven't heard any controversy about the Nissan 2.5L power figures being overstated.

In tests, the Altima 4 banger is consistently a half second to a full second faster than its competition. That is a significant difference.

In C&D's comparo, the Altima 4 (175 hp) went from 0 to 60 in 7.8s, while the Accord 4 (190 hp) went from 0 to 60 in 8.2s. Doesn't seem to me that Nissan overstated anything.

Anyways, I'm disappointed that a brand new Toyota 2.5L engine seems to have about the same overall power as an 8 year old Nissan 2.5L engine.

Nissan 2.5: 175/180
Toyota 2.5: 180/173
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro...e_r/index.html

Just some controversy regarding the QR25DE power and torque figures. Also, I hope you know the 2AZ-FE figures are under-rated. On dynos, the 2AZ-FE gets results very close to that of the QR25DE, despite a noticeable difference on paper.

I'm quite certain this new 2AR 2.5L from Toyota will be underrated and will dyno higher numbers than the Altima's QR25DE.

The Accord's 2.4L lacks torque, even compared to the 2AZ-FE. The engine is too high-strung and it needs to rev high to achievement respectable acceleration.

I'm disappointed that you continue to jump to conclusions here.

From the Toyota press release EPA figures for the 2.5L Rav 4 are 22/28 2WD and 21/27 4WD. The poster from the other forum was almost exactly right with the fuel economy estimates for the new engine. By the way, these are class-leading figures, achieved with only a 4 speed auto.

Let us compare to the Rogue. It makes about the same torque and 10 less HP compared to the Toyota 2.5L, and the Rogue uses a CVT to get a sizable boost in fuel economy. Even with a CVT, the Rogue achieves 22/27 EPA 2WD, and 21/26 EPA 4WD. The Rav 4 2.5L beats both figures using only a conventional 4 speed auto. If the Rav 4 was equipped with a CVT, it would blow away the Rogue's fuel economy figures.

This also brings up another point. The Rogue uses the QR25DE just like the Altima. Why is it then that in the Altima the engine is rated exactly 5HP and 5 lb-ft torque higher than in the Rogue? It makes the Altima numbers seem a little suspect.

This brand new Toyota engine is guaranteed to be more refined than Nissan's old engine, almost certainly will be more reliable, and is certainly quite a bit more fuel efficient, and will possibly achieve higher numbers on a dyno than Nissan's old engine.

Originally Posted by xioix
Wow, with the new upgraded I4, the V6 is still very close to it in MPG
Uh, no.

2WD V6: 19/27
2WD I4: 22/28

4WD V6: 19/26
4WD I4: 21/27

You must also take into account that the I4 uses a 4 speed, while the V6 uses a 5 speed. That makes it seem that the V6 is closer to the I4 in fuel economy than it actually is. Despite the differences in transmissions, the gap is sizable. 3/1 mpg difference for 2WD models, and 2/1 mpg difference for 4WD models. Real-world numbers should show an even bigger difference.

Originally Posted by ffpower
Why is Toyota still using 4-speed with the new 4-banger?

What bothers me even more is that according to the release, the 4-speed is actually "new"? Why didn't they develop a new 5- or 6-speed for the new engine to make it even more fuel efficient?
I agree, but perhaps it would have taken too much time and money in order to equip a 5 speed AND the new 4 cylinder into just a simple refresh of the Rav4. I expect to see the next-gen Rav4 have at least a 5 auto speed as the base transmission.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 08-05-08 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 11:50 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro...e_r/index.html

Just some controversy regarding the QR25DE power and torque figures. Also, I hope you know the 2AZ-FE figures are under-rated. On dynos, the 2AZ-FE gets results very close to that of the QR25DE, despite a noticeable difference on paper.

I'm quite certain this new 2AR 2.5L from Toyota will be underrated and will dyno higher numbers than the Altima's QR25DE.

The Accord's 2.4L lacks torque, even compared to the 2AZ-FE. The engine is too high-strung and it needs to rev high to achievement respectable acceleration.

I'm disappointed that you continue to jump to conclusions here.

From the Toyota press release EPA figures for the 2.5L Rav 4 are 22/28 2WD and 21/27 4WD. The poster from the other forum was almost exactly right with the fuel economy estimates for the new engine. By the way, these are class-leading figures, achieved with only a 4 speed auto.

Let us compare to the Rogue. It makes about the same torque and 10 less HP compared to the Toyota 2.5L, and the Rogue uses a CVT to get a sizable boost in fuel economy. Even with a CVT, the Rogue achieves 22/27 EPA 2WD, and 21/26 EPA 4WD. The Rav 4 2.5L beats both figures using only a conventional 4 speed auto. If the Rav 4 was equipped with a CVT, it would blow away the Rogue's fuel economy figures.

This also brings up another point. The Rogue uses the QR25DE just like the Altima. Why is it then that in the Altima the engine is rated exactly 5HP and 5 lb-ft torque higher than in the Rogue? It makes the Altima numbers seem a little suspect.

This brand new Toyota engine is guaranteed to be more refined than Nissan's old engine, almost certainly will be more reliable, and is certainly quite a bit more fuel efficient, and will possibly achieve higher numbers on a dyno than Nissan's old engine.
That was from 2002, we need some figures with new rating within 06 model years
Old 08-05-08, 11:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
That was from 2002, we need some figures with new rating within 06 model years
My point regarding the differences between Rogue and Altima 2.5L numbers still stands, as do the low dyno numbers achieved from the QR25DE.
Old 08-06-08, 02:17 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Blah blah blah.

I'm stating facts. Overall power numbers wise, the brand new Toyota 2.5L is no better than a 8 year old Nissan 2.5L.

Say what you want about the Nissan 2.5L being overrated. I predict that the Altima 4 cyl. will still be faster than the new Camry 4 cyl.
Old 08-06-08, 02:21 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Lol, you're disappointed Boo hoo! The Toyota 2.4L dynos the same as the Nissan 2.5L. Whatever.

Too bad the Altima 4 cyl. is consistently a full second faster than the Camry 4 cyl. (7.8s vs 8.9s in the latest C&D comparo.)
Old 08-06-08, 07:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

8.9s for the Camry 4 cyl? C&D must have some off numbers, as most tests have consistently shown the Camry 4 cyl to have 0-60 in the mid-to-low 8s. And if the MY 2010 Camry gets the new 4 cyl paired together with the 6 speed, it definitely will be faster than an Altima. But in the 4 cyl class, who cares anyways? The 4 cyl class is about fuel economy, and the 2010 Camry is almost guaranteed to achieve best-in-class economy. Comparing the V6 Altima to the V6 Camry where performance is more a priority, the Camry is faster.
Old 08-06-08, 08:16 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Definitely "will be" faster huh? Lol, talk about jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

People actually do care, otherwise why would manufacturers even bother upgrading power on these engines.

We'll have to see how the new engine actually does, but after such a long wait, I'm simply not impressed with the specs. A brand new engine should be several steps above old competitor engines.
Old 08-06-08, 08:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely "will be" faster huh? Lol, talk about jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

People actually do care, otherwise why would manufacturers even bother upgrading power on these engines.

We'll have to see how the new engine actually does, but after such a long wait, I'm simply not impressed with the specs. A brand new engine should be several steps above old competitor engines.
If people did care, the Altima 2.5L would be the best-selling sedan, but it's far from it. Especially in today's market conditions, people care more about fuel economy than power. Yes for the sake of competition different makers are always trying to one-up each other in performance numbers, but also smart makers realize the priority of fuel economy in this day and age.

The Toyota 2.5L is likely tuned very conservatively for maximum fuel economy and high refinement.

Once again, you're only focusing on power figures. Based on Toyota's past history, this new 4 cyl is likely to be several steps above the old Nissan engine in refinement, reliability, and fuel economy. Power numbers will likely be the only thing where it's not a huge step up. Toyota's GR V6 is a gem of an engine, and is a huge step up compared to the MZ engine it replaced. What makes you think this AR engine won't be the same sort of step up compared to the AZ?
Old 08-06-08, 10:38 AM
xioix
Racer

Lol, you're disappointed Boo hoo! The Toyota 2.4L dynos the same as the Nissan 2.5L. Whatever.

Too bad the Altima 4 cyl. is consistently a full second faster than the Camry 4 cyl. (7.8s vs 8.9s in the latest C&D comparo.)
Maybe because right now the current Altima is more powerful than the Camry?
Old 08-06-08, 10:52 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As a proud owner of a Rav4 Limited since 2002, I am proud to see the Rav4 progress.

Quick Reply: Toyota Announces Prices for 2009 RAV4 SUV (Page 2)