Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Under $65K???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 02:12 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as appearance, I'm not a fan of anything that Acura makes. I'd go with a new Range Rover Sport, a base LS, or a loaded GS.
Old 08-04-08, 02:18 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5.7L iForceTundra. Alot more useful than any car and very fast
Old 08-04-08, 03:08 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Porsche anything..........thats it haha
Old 08-04-08, 03:49 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tsavo
As far as appearance, I'm not a fan of anything that Acura makes. I'd go with a new Range Rover Sport, a base LS, or a loaded GS.
I like the Range Rover Sport, but that would be to replace my wife's car a 2005 Navigator. I'll look into a base LS, but unless there are really good deals I may not be able to do one of these.

As far as Lexus goes for me, it's either a base LS460, GS450H or if they change it enough a GS350AWD.
Old 08-04-08, 06:38 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Lexus/Toyota lover for a long time 25+++ years but I confess the New Lightning got me it is only $40,000 700 horsepower. Here is a link for those who do not know what it is http://www.lightningcarcompany.co.uk/
If I can include older cars 1980 ish Rolls Royce
Old 08-04-08, 06:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mixman
Which car fully loaded, under $65K, do you like best? Looking for a combo of luxury and sport. Coupe or sedan.
Mixman, while I respect MMarshall tons, you don't want the RL, b/c no one wants the RL. Its like that great car everyone recommends on the internet but no one will buy.

65k sport and luxury;
BMW 550i
Audi S5
Lexus GS 460 then buy every TOMS suspension piece out there or ENSURE you get it with the AAAS Active suspension, makes a HUGE difference.
Mercedes E550 (now comes standard with AMG sport kit)
BMW M3 coupe or sedan
Audi S4 sedan (new model is on the way in a couple years)
Infiniti M45 (I'm not a fan but you may like it)
Jaguar XF S/C (check this one out, its won a couple new comparos)

Old 08-04-08, 07:18 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Mixman, while I respect MMarshall tons, you don't want the RL, b/c no one wants the RL. Its like that great car everyone recommends on the internet but no one will buy.

65k sport and luxury;
BMW 550i
Audi S5
Lexus GS 460 then buy every TOMS suspension piece out there or ENSURE you get it with the AAAS Active suspension, makes a HUGE difference.
Mercedes E550 (now comes standard with AMG sport kit)
BMW M3 coupe or sedan
Audi S4 sedan (new model is on the way in a couple years)
Infiniti M45 (I'm not a fan but you may like it)
Jaguar XF S/C (check this one out, its won a couple new comparos)
I am interested in the Jag XF, but there are not too many owners yet. I know Jag used to have a bad rep for quality though. Doesn't the GS450H come with the AAAS ? I don't see much reason for the GS460 over a GS350, as Lexus didn't give it enough horsepower or goodies to truly distinguish it from the other GS's.

The E550 is cool but not too fond of the look of the E Class, would stick to the Lexus first. The 550 is in it's last year. S5 is at the top of my list. M3, I would have to get a stripper, same with the C63.
Old 08-04-08, 08:46 PM
LexFather

I am interested in the Jag XF, but there are not too many owners yet. I know Jag used to have a bad rep for quality though. Doesn't the GS450H come with the AAAS ? I don't see much reason for the GS460 over a GS350, as Lexus didn't give it enough horsepower or goodies to truly distinguish it from the other GS's.

The E550 is cool but not too fond of the look of the E Class, would stick to the Lexus first. The 550 is in it's last year. S5 is at the top of my list. M3, I would have to get a stripper, same with the C63.
Jag reliability has improved tons. The only unsure thing is they just got bought by TaTa and while they are talking big things, not sure how much support they will provide.

AAAS is optional on the 450h and 460.

Old 08-04-08, 08:48 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

IS F. Unlike m3 or c3, you can get a loaded one for 62k otd.
Old 08-05-08, 01:28 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

BMW M3 sedan or BMW 535i sedan with sport package.
Old 08-05-08, 03:21 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

996 turbo!
Old 08-05-08, 05:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT

1SICKGOAT is correct to an extent. The RL, despite it being a superb car, does not sell well, altough you do see them in my high-income Washington, DC area. That, of course, lessens its trade-in (or residual) value, but also can make for some hefty discounts when new....where you will save money up front. What sold me on the RL, though, was not price or marketing status but its build quality and sophistication. If I had 45-50K to spend on a car, I would probably own either an RL, a BMW 335xi AWD, or a Lexus GS AWD....though BMWs often have electrical problems.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-08 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 05:47 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though the RL's V6 doesn't quite have the spunk that the GS450 or 460's V8 does, that's balanced out, IMO, by better build quality, a more attractive interior, and a more sophisticated AWD system than on the GS AWD models.

The RL, brand-new, is also heavily discounted due to low demand and sales. But the new 2009 grille, like the one on the new TSX, is ridiculous....if it were my choice, I'd clearly get a 2008.
RL was never mentioned on my "Car for $60K" post... I'll check it out if it's still sporty and loaded... walked the lot on the 08 TLs other day, I'd take a TL-s with regular wheels, not feeling type S wheels

And I drive the new A4 tomorrow night, maybe S5... heh, heh, heh...

Have not made my decision yet but BMWs are OUT, GS350 AWD is almost out, not feeling the MB C350 (winter driving concerns and reliability issues are starting to creep up)... so I'll look at the RL too
Old 08-05-08, 06:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
BMW M3 sedan or BMW 535i sedan with sport package.
+1....
Both cars can be had fully loaded under 65k. In addition, the competition is still behind when it comes to the driving experience these two cars offer. Rigid chassis, excellent steering feel, suspension, planted to the road. Hell, these cars are an extension of you rather than you being an extension of the car. Test drive all of the cars mentioned in this thread & get back to us after your experience with each.
Old 08-05-08, 07:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

how about a porsche cayenne s, i mean it could replace the wifes, or you could have it and treat it like a sports car or off road machine, just another opinion if not id say go for the gs450h, sure it may not get that great gas milage, but im pretty sure that with the hybrid badge comes a tax write off, of course looking at a 65 grand car, i'm not sure if that matter haha

Quick Reply: Car Under $65K???