Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Young drivers v.s. Old drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 08:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Look at insurance rates... tells the whole story.

We can find good/bad examples at both ends of life though.
Old 08-07-08, 08:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Look at insurance rates... tells the whole story.

We can find good/bad examples at both ends of life though.

Bingo - On both comments...
Old 08-07-08, 08:55 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Young drivers are the worst.....

16 and want to build a 500hp daily driver for their first car

Note: Just because you've seen every episode of Initial D or read every Car magazine u can get ur hands on...doesnt make u an expert driver
Old 08-08-08, 05:43 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in you opinion whoes worse at driving, as a whole, young or old. Hope to get some good input so i can bring all this bak to him haha
this has nothing to do with opinions

ask the insurance companies they have facts that can make profit or loss to them.
Old 08-08-08, 06:16 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

well just dealing from insurance companies, i wanted to get input from people here because we have both older and younger members who i am sure have had certain experiences, and while insurance rates do show us a majority, they don't prove that every young driver is bad, it's like saying that all bmw's are bad by looking at consumer reports, thats the only analogy i could think of haha. and don't want to sound stupid but what is initila d< and i don't think im an expert driver, i just want to be careful, that happens when your parents know most cops in the area lol
Old 08-08-08, 06:33 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MythBuster
this has nothing to do with opinions

ask the insurance companies they have facts that can make profit or loss to them.
Insurance rates aren't based on who is the best/worst driver. They're based on an aggregate figure. There are more young drivers on the road than old drivers, hence the reason younger drives have more accidents, that's why their insurance is more expensive. It has nothing to do with a per capita figure, which would determine who is actually the worst driver. I thought this was common knowledge...IMO, old people are the most dangerous people on the road.
Old 08-08-08, 06:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

some younger drivers drive too fast, don't pay attention (or are distracted like text messaging!), and don't know how to handle evasive situations.

some older drivers don't notice certain things and their reactions aren't as good, but they tend to drive much slower, so that offsets things quite a bit.

as I said there's obvious examples in both cases... the 18 yr old in the M5 who flew 200 feet through the air off the end of a runway with friends in the car and everyone was killed. And the old guy who somehow hits the gas instead of the brakes and ploughs through a shopping plaza and mows down some people.

but in general young people drive too fast and don't pay enough attention, which is what causes accidents. and in general, old people are slow, but pretty safe as a group. insurance bears all this out with old people paying a fraction what young people do.
Old 08-08-08, 06:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsavo
Insurance rates aren't based on who is the best/worst driver. They're based on an aggregate figure. There are more young drivers on the road than old drivers, hence the reason younger drives have more accidents, that's why their insurance is more expensive. It has nothing to do with a per capita figure, which would determine who is actually the worst driver. I thought this was common knowledge...IMO, old people are the most dangerous people on the road.
Wow, epic statistics fail.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the expected AVERAGE risk for a given driver. Going on your basis that there's more young drivers (which I'm not sure I buy either), if there's 100 young drivers and 5 have an accident in a year, there's a 5% chance any one young driver will have an accident, and if there's 50 old drivers on the road, and 1 has an accident in a year, there's a 2% any one old driver will have an accident. 5 > 2 - doesn't matter the quantities involved.
Old 08-08-08, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Sorry but insurance industry= load of crap and one of the biggest hustles of all time.

Old 08-08-08, 08:58 AM
MythBuster
Driver

In my teens I was probably the most reckless driver in the milky way.

I thought at the time that good driving is getting away with difficult maneuvers and racing others or taking over another car in a single lane road by facing the coming traffic to the last split second.

I am not alien and I am sure that others as well have improved their skills as well as risk judgment as they grew older. There is no reason to believe that driving is different than other life aspects. Experience is the key word.

Now if we are talking pure skills regardless of any thing else such as safety, then I agree that a 30 years old has better hands/eye coordination than 80 years old.
Old 08-08-08, 09:26 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MythBuster
In my teens I was probably the most reckless driver in the milky way.

I thought at the time that good driving is getting away with difficult maneuvers and racing others or taking over another car in a single lane road by facing the coming traffic to the last split second.

I am not alien and I am sure that others as well have improved their skills as well as risk judgment as they grew older. There is no reason to believe that driving is different than other life aspects. Experience is the key word.

Now if we are talking pure skills regardless of any thing else such as safety, then I agree that a 30 years old has better hands/eye coordination than 80 years old.
Exactly, I thought if I can take hairpin and sharp turns by cutting the correct racing line and going 30miles above the warning speed I am awesome and no one can drive as good as me
Old 08-08-08, 10:13 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Sorry but insurance industry= load of crap and one of the biggest hustles of all time.
Could'nt have said it better. Basing of statistics is truely BS. So you are basically saying someone is guilty of being something before given a proper chance. Sounds like the court systems to me. Guilty until proven innocent. You pay higher premiums even though you haven't been in accidents and such and you have a clean record, and maybe as time goes on and you can continue this trend, we'll cut your costs down.
Old 08-08-08, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Exactly, I thought if I can take hairpin and sharp turns by cutting the correct racing line and going 30miles above the warning speed I am awesome and no one can drive as good as me

No. Being a good driver on the track is not necessarily the same as being a good driver on the street. Tracks don't have stop signs, speed limits, traffic lights, speed bumps, 18-wheelers crowding lanes, wall-to-wall rush hour traffic, or kids and pets running out into the street with little or no warning.

For proof, look no further than many professional racing drivers. On the street, they know the dangers involved, drive accordingly, and often make Grandma look aggressive in comparison.
Old 08-08-08, 10:47 AM
MythBuster
Driver

No. Being a good driver on the track is not necessarily the same as being a good driver on the street. Tracks don't have stop signs, speed limits, traffic lights, speed bumps, 18-wheelers crowding lanes, wall-to-wall rush hour traffic, or kids and pets running out into the street with little or no warning.
Are you saying experience does not matter on the track.
Old 08-08-08, 10:49 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wow, epic statistics fail.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the expected AVERAGE risk for a given driver. Going on your basis that there's more young drivers (which I'm not sure I buy either), if there's 100 young drivers and 5 have an accident in a year, there's a 5% chance any one young driver will have an accident, and if there's 50 old drivers on the road, and 1 has an accident in a year, there's a 2% any one old driver will have an accident. 5 > 2 - doesn't matter the quantities involved.
That's not what I said at all. You're missing the point. Insurance companies use what are often faulty statistics in their favor, justifying to their clients an inflated rate when, statistically, it may or may not be sound. BTW, I was an analyst for an insurance company-so I've seen what kind of crap they pull to justify increasing rates. The fact that insurance is often times more expensive for younger drivers than it is for older drivers has very little to do with who's the "better" driver.

Quick Reply: Young drivers v.s. Old drivers