Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Young drivers v.s. Old drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 01:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^^ things like this were what i was looking for,examples thank you
Old 08-09-08, 01:13 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ yah my grandpa cut off a cop on a highway and felt at no fault of his own... "I'm old, f*** him" was something or other of what came out of his mouth

i also agree with above that girls share many dangers on the road yet are changed way less by insurance companies, yet they are on their fones more often than men, and are distracted by things like hair, teeth, makeup, etc. idk a girl who can look in a mirror and not make an adjustment... and in a car, there is a mirror in front of your face, but, if they pay more, it is sexist. Men are power hungry, non-civilized, brutes, who care for nothing more tahn speed, power, and adrenaline.. and this is accepted so our rates are higher =) woot!

~~~for the OP, some examples~~~

Old:
Old man/woman forgets their heart medicine (as seen on TruTV Wildest Police whatevers), and suffers a heart attack while driving, locking the accelerator against the floor, and falling unconscious behind the wheel. the old women then went 120mph into a group of cars stopped at a stoplight. Older people are more likely to have medical conditions while behind the wheel as opposed to a younger, healthier person

Old man/woman has less hand eye coordination/stability, and doesnt notice himself slowly drifting across highway lanes at 70 mph, and sideswipes another vehicle (ever notice old people swerve alot?)

Old man/woman is not used to the new instrumentation in the vehicles, and has a more than difficult time doing something on the center console, taking his attention off the raod for longer than it would take a younger driver

Old man/woman has not had their driving abilities evaluated (unless their license was revoked, for being a stupid, young driver =p) in over 30+ years, their eyesight could be a third of what it was when they were tested for their driving, and they can very well be near blind at night (my grandfather got lost in the housing development at night that he has lived in for over 40 years.. the development is one circle with 4 side streets branching out of the circle.)

Basically, every disadvantage their is to getting old can apply to driving skills... which is why i think the DMV should re-evaluate all drivers every 25 years.

Young:
A young driver is inexperienced, and will not know what to do in an evasive situation (WHICH i strongly disagree with. If i am in a car with an older person and a situation arises where a deer jumps out, a car rolls too far into an intersection, etc. i would trust myself WELL over any older person, and this may just be the young invincible mentality everyone talks about, but i could not see either of my parents having fast enough reactions or reflexes to even react to a situatino they would encounter, and their "Experienced driven reaction to the situation" would probably just to slam on the breaks... Real example, i was on the Saw Mill Parkway about 1 year after having my license. A Volkswagon Golf hatchback was 2 cars in front of me, a bimmer immediatly in front of me, and then me, in the left lane going 65. A bike that was attached to the rack of the Volkswagon came loose, bounced off of its tire on the road and popped onto the hood of the bimmer, flipped end over end, and would have came straight through my windsheild. By the time this happened, i had checked my rear mirrors to see the possibility of breaking (Non, a car was riding my ***), and had checked my side spots for any manuevering room. I was able to swerve around the bike, and watch as it ripped a wheel off from the car behind me, (not sure what it was, some old domestic car)
If my dad had been driving, he would have slammed on the breaks, we would have been rear ended, and the bike would have come through the windsheild anyways. He actually didn't even know what had happened, the response i got to swerving was - WHAT THE F ARE U DOING!!!!!... rather than hey way to avoid the flying bicycle

A young driver has just finished watching Fast and the Furious, and wants to see what his neon green ****subishi eclipse tops out at, so he takes it on the highway and puts pedal to the floor, stopping for nothing... except for when he hits the 18 wheeler in front of him causing a 10 car pileup and 5 deaths, 3 women and 2 children. He walks out of the car so unharmed that he has to pull the children from the cars that he caused to crash.

a young driver is in the car with his 4 friends who are all screaming and chanting GO FASTER, while the driver himself is attempting to change the cd, hook up his ipod, and text back his girlfriend. He glances behind him because one of his rear passengers has just opened the moonroof and is now sitting on the roof of the car, and his passenger is blowing coke.. he looks back at the road to find he doesnt have enough time to stop himself from going off the road into a tree, hitting pedestrians in the street, or another car.

Last edited by Scythe; 08-09-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-09-08, 06:46 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Most people have no idea how much effort insurance companies expend to correllate losses with all sorts of demographic factors so that rates can be set fairly. It is not just driver age that determines insurance rates. Actuaries have been able to find strong corellation between loss experience and factors such as ZIP code of residence, income, net worth, marital status, educational level, grade point level of students, IQ, sex, ethnicity, whether a person owns or rents a home, whether or not a person smokes and/or drinks, credit score, vehicle type and value, and a myriad of other factors.

Federal and state laws have prohibited the use of some factors from being used to set insurance rates due to the social implications.

I spent a lot of time around actuaries during my 30+ years with a large insurance company and was at one time responsible for providing data used in the rate setting process. I can assure you that correlating losses to demographic factors and setting rates is a science and is taken extraordinarily seriously in the insurance industry.
Old 08-09-08, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Thank you Kansas.
Old 08-09-08, 08:36 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Most people have no idea how much effort insurance companies expend to correllate losses with all sorts of demographic factors so that rates can be set fairly. It is not just driver age that determines insurance rates. Actuaries have been able to find strong corellation between loss experience and factors such as ZIP code of residence, income, net worth, marital status, educational level, grade point level of students, IQ, sex, ethnicity, whether a person owns or rents a home, whether or not a person smokes and/or drinks, credit score, vehicle type and value, and a myriad of other factors.

Federal and state laws have prohibited the use of some factors from being used to set insurance rates due to the social implications.

I spent a lot of time around actuaries during my 30+ years with a large insurance company and was at one time responsible for providing data used in the rate setting process. I can assure you that correlating losses to demographic factors and setting rates is a science and is taken extraordinarily seriously in the insurance industry.
I know exactly what you are talking about. They explained this to us when I was in a drivers course after an infraction. The dude there mentioned how they were trying to factor in credit scores in our area, but I'm glad that didn't pass. However you claim the social implications part, and that by no means = sexism towards teenager males? I was never in an accident, but got two speeding tickets. Took two driver courses and my record is clean besides that. Any reason why my rates should be higher than older folks?
Old 08-09-08, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I was never in an accident, but got two speeding tickets. Took two driver courses and my record is clean besides that. Any reason why my rates should be higher than older folks?
Because it's not about you individually unless your record (known to insurance co.) is WORSE than average.

Anyway, I'm done with this... it is what it is, get over it.
Old 08-09-08, 09:28 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Because it's not about you individually unless your record (known to insurance co.) is WORSE than average.

Anyway, I'm done with this... it is what it is, get over it.
You want to agree with me, I can smell it.

My whole point is that its wrong to group people together. We are all people and all have different mindsets and prone to different actions. Grouping people into a statistic is morally and socially wrong. That's basically the gist of my entire argument. Don't punish people for something they haven't done, the end.
Old 08-09-08, 10:11 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look JewC you can't fight it and it's what it is for a reason.
As BIT said this is a protection an insurance company has to take on a high risk like a 18 year old with a 3.0 GPA.

I can totally relate to the guy that said he was the worst driver in the milky way.

No Dude, That was my friend.
This guy would pass at 120 on the shoulder of the freway or lanesplitting like a bike but in a car
Passing in blind turns.

Point is he is still alive and he does not drive like this anymore.

When you are in your first say 5 to 10 years of driving and for most of us this was at the age of 16 to 25.

Some Rental cars wont even let you rent till your 25.

Yes we were menace to society big time.

Last edited by alexulan; 08-09-08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-09-08, 10:53 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

^.....I guess my points are invalid. Being punished before commiting a crime here is becoming more and more prevelent. Being punished for stupid things is becoming more and more common. Wreckers should just be punished more severely than folks who haven't been in accidents, thats how its plain and simple. If you wreck and your insurance drops you and notifies other agencies of your record, then you're basically left to pick the one with the best rates. Why should other folks suffer for your mistakes. Thats my main problem.

Nothing is going to change, and I'm just stating my opinion, and in no way trying to actually change it, because as a single person, I can't do anything to change the insurance companies policy.
Old 08-10-08, 06:53 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I was never in an accident, but got two speeding tickets. Took two driver courses and my record is clean besides that. Any reason why my rates should be higher than older folks?
Your rates are higher because actuaries have proven that there is a high corellation between getting speeding tickets and losses from claims.

One thing people can do to get lower insurance rates is to adhere to speed limits. I don't speed and I don't get speeding tickets. I have not had a "chargeable" accident in 42 years of driving. My insurance rates have always been very low.
Old 08-10-08, 07:04 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scythe
^^ yah my grandpa cut off a cop on a highway and felt at no fault of his own... "I'm old, f*** him" was something or other of what came out of his mouth

i also agree with above that girls share many dangers on the road yet are changed way less by insurance companies, yet they are on their fones more often than men, and are distracted by things like hair, teeth, makeup, etc. idk a girl who can look in a mirror and not make an adjustment... and in a car, there is a mirror in front of your face, but, if they pay more, it is sexist. Men are power hungry, non-civilized, brutes, who care for nothing more tahn speed, power, and adrenaline.. and this is accepted so our rates are higher =) woot!

~~~for the OP, some examples~~~

Old:
Old man/woman forgets their heart medicine (as seen on TruTV Wildest Police whatevers), and suffers a heart attack while driving, locking the accelerator against the floor, and falling unconscious behind the wheel. the old women then went 120mph into a group of cars stopped at a stoplight. Older people are more likely to have medical conditions while behind the wheel as opposed to a younger, healthier person

Old man/woman has less hand eye coordination/stability, and doesnt notice himself slowly drifting across highway lanes at 70 mph, and sideswipes another vehicle (ever notice old people swerve alot?)

Old man/woman is not used to the new instrumentation in the vehicles, and has a more than difficult time doing something on the center console, taking his attention off the raod for longer than it would take a younger driver

Old man/woman has not had their driving abilities evaluated (unless their license was revoked, for being a stupid, young driver =p) in over 30+ years, their eyesight could be a third of what it was when they were tested for their driving, and they can very well be near blind at night (my grandfather got lost in the housing development at night that he has lived in for over 40 years.. the development is one circle with 4 side streets branching out of the circle.)

Basically, every disadvantage their is to getting old can apply to driving skills... which is why i think the DMV should re-evaluate all drivers every 25 years.

Young:
A young driver is inexperienced, and will not know what to do in an evasive situation (WHICH i strongly disagree with. If i am in a car with an older person and a situation arises where a deer jumps out, a car rolls too far into an intersection, etc. i would trust myself WELL over any older person, and this may just be the young invincible mentality everyone talks about, but i could not see either of my parents having fast enough reactions or reflexes to even react to a situatino they would encounter, and their "Experienced driven reaction to the situation" would probably just to slam on the breaks... Real example, i was on the Saw Mill Parkway about 1 year after having my license. A Volkswagon Golf hatchback was 2 cars in front of me, a bimmer immediatly in front of me, and then me, in the left lane going 65. A bike that was attached to the rack of the Volkswagon came loose, bounced off of its tire on the road and popped onto the hood of the bimmer, flipped end over end, and would have came straight through my windsheild. By the time this happened, i had checked my rear mirrors to see the possibility of breaking (Non, a car was riding my ***), and had checked my side spots for any manuevering room. I was able to swerve around the bike, and watch as it ripped a wheel off from the car behind me, (not sure what it was, some old domestic car)
If my dad had been driving, he would have slammed on the breaks, we would have been rear ended, and the bike would have come through the windsheild anyways. He actually didn't even know what had happened, the response i got to swerving was - WHAT THE F ARE U DOING!!!!!... rather than hey way to avoid the flying bicycle

A young driver has just finished watching Fast and the Furious, and wants to see what his neon green ****subishi eclipse tops out at, so he takes it on the highway and puts pedal to the floor, stopping for nothing... except for when he hits the 18 wheeler in front of him causing a 10 car pileup and 5 deaths, 3 women and 2 children. He walks out of the car so unharmed that he has to pull the children from the cars that he caused to crash.

a young driver is in the car with his 4 friends who are all screaming and chanting GO FASTER, while the driver himself is attempting to change the cd, hook up his ipod, and text back his girlfriend. He glances behind him because one of his rear passengers has just opened the moonroof and is now sitting on the roof of the car, and his passenger is blowing coke.. he looks back at the road to find he doesnt have enough time to stop himself from going off the road into a tree, hitting pedestrians in the street, or another car.
Originally Posted by Scythe
i agree with alot everyone has said in here.. and basically like the stereotype: The younger drivers drive faster, and after there first year of driving, many are overconfident (as i was until i racked up some speeding tickets), and will use that overconfidence to weave on highways, speed in 30mph neighborhoods, etc.
The older drivers have become complacent, i catch my parents zoning out on highways in the right lane going 70, and have been in the car when a parent has driven by the destination and been like wait where were we going? in my opinion (again, overconfident youngster) going 80 with my eyes popping out of my skull paying complete attention to every single detail on the road is much safer vs my father going 70 with his eyes 1/4 of the way open, forgetting where he's driving to.

Also, something many may have not taken into account, but when a young driver is behind the wheel, he or she has just passed his/her roadtest very recently. My uncle had to retake his road test at age 45 and failed it practically immediatly because he put one hand on the back of the passenger seat to turn over his shoulder wihle backing up, leaving one hand no the wheel - FAIL. These 50-80 year olds have not had their driving skills checked for nearly 30-50 something years! the DMV never calls them and says oh hey your eyes got a hell of a lot worse since 1954 when you took your test.. so we're going to pull your license!
My grandpa was an army pilot when he was 20, his vision when he was going for his drivers license was perfect. He now sports about 4 pairs of glasses, each needed for a special occasion, - distance, light, size... thankfully, he's admitted that he can no longer safely drive, and keeps his car use at an extreme minimum.. but there are many elderly out there who's ability to drive has severly diminished, but no laws in place make them retake their test or get their skills re-evaluated. This is why the old lady on the highway going 40 is more dangerous than the 20 year old going 80, no-one has to swerve and slam on their brakes for the kid, he's making his own way, and if he gets in an accident, he's going to rear-end someone and insurance wise, its his fault, whereas when traffic is moving at 70 and there is one granny doing 40... i feel its much more dangerous

kids driving have better reflexes, reaction times, vision, hearing, personal mobility (my dad can hardly look over his shoulder to back out of the driveway, and my mom actually pulled her neck the other day checking her blindspot on the highway lol), and attention span. We also are more technologically advanced to deal with the new computers and dashes in these modern cars. I spent about 3-4 hours (over the span of a few days) to explain how to work the basic functions on my dads nav system, and he still cant figure it out (we got in a fight yesterday because iw as driving his car and he was passenger, and he wanted to put on a CD rather than the XM radio, and to do so he reached across my chest in bumper to bumper traffic to press the Mode button on the left edge of the steering wheel, rather than the Disc button on the center console (he's not too bright, and actually yelled at me for yelling at him for reaching over me)

There is no clear answer to this, each driving generation has its own pro's and con's, and the situation in which the car/driver is in will determine who is the safer driver. (Young speeder in a local neighborhood = Danger.. Old lady at night on the highway = Danger. Young speeder on the highway = a good time and maybe a speeding ticket, Old lady in a local neighborhood = a peaceful ride..)
All of this might sound sensible, to *you*. However, statistically speaking, it is not the case. Sure, I see dangerous old drivers all the time. I live in S. Florida, a retirement haven. But, I definitely see way more crazy *ss punk kids trying to kill someone on the road. Nobody is saying that bad, older drivers don't exist, or that ALL of them are good drivers. I wouldn't call 23-25 year olds "young" drivers, either, more like 16-23. Most insurance companies drastically reduce rates once you hit 25. The fact is, this age group is much, MUCH more likely to have an accident than say, a 55 or 60 year old. Like Kansas said earlier, there's a lot more to setting rates than just age. Age, driving record, and zip code are the major factors, though.
Old 08-10-08, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Why should other folks suffer for your mistakes. Thats my main problem.
OK you reeled me back in.

Because if it wasn't a 'shared burden', that is, if the one with the tickets or wreck paid the 'full risk' premium they wouldn't be able to afford insurance. Insurance only works by being a shared risk.

And think of it this way, while you might be a great driver but still pay a high premium as a young male driver in a hot car, when you get old you may suck as a driver but still pay relatively low premiums. I think my Miata was an extra $200 a year to insure, rofl.
Old 08-10-08, 11:35 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by Kansas
Your rates are higher because actuaries have proven that there is a high corellation between getting speeding tickets and losses from claims.

One thing people can do to get lower insurance rates is to adhere to speed limits. I don't speed and I don't get speeding tickets. I have not had a "chargeable" accident in 42 years of driving. My insurance rates have always been very low.
What about when you started driving? How were your rates then? Mine started high, due to the AGE and Gender factor, and have over the years steadily gone down. My insurance company doesn't know about my speeding tickets so they don't take any account on my rates. My rates are higher because I'm a male, and I'm still under 25. But not for too long on the age part .
Old 08-10-08, 11:37 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OK you reeled me back in.

Because if it wasn't a 'shared burden', that is, if the one with the tickets or wreck paid the 'full risk' premium they wouldn't be able to afford insurance. Insurance only works by being a shared risk.

And think of it this way, while you might be a great driver but still pay a high premium as a young male driver in a hot car, when you get old you may suck as a driver but still pay relatively low premiums. I think my Miata was an extra $200 a year to insure, rofl.
I suppose, still I don't like paying my unfair share into the pot, at least where I have done no wrong. Maybe when I'm an old codder, then I will see it differently.
Old 08-10-08, 06:51 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

What about when you started driving? How were your rates then? Mine started high, due to the AGE and Gender factor, and have over the years steadily gone down. My insurance company doesn't know about my speeding tickets so they don't take any account on my rates. My rates are higher because I'm a male, and I'm still under 25. But not for too long on the age part .
No, I did not have expensive insurance premiums when I was young. I drove low power, older cars and had liability-only coverage until I sold my nine year old Dodge and bought my first new car, the least expensive VW available, shortly after my 25th birthday.

We've never paid very high insurance premiums due to our carrying ultra-high deductibles on both car and real estate insurance. We self insure on the front end and rely on umbrella insurance policies on the back end. It's a good stategy for us but it doesn't work for everyone.

Quick Reply: Young drivers v.s. Old drivers