Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Young drivers v.s. Old drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 06:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Young drivers v.s. Old drivers

Now i sent the day with the grandparents and since my grandpa and i ran out of stuff to talk about, we started talking about driving. Now my grandpa and I have a good relationship and we were just joking but started debating whoes the worse driver, first time drivers, or old people, he's 80 but drives top notch. Now i do not know if this may cause controversy or not, but let me put this out there, age does not always matter, it depends on the driver, for example I am 15, and i am afriad to drive even close to the speed limit even those i prefer to look at faster cars such as 944's and mb 560's for my first car, don't judge me haha, while my grandpa, in his words is so old that he's farting dust, in his words and drives wonderfully. So in you opinion whoes worse at driving, as a whole, young or old. Hope to get some good input so i can bring all this bak to him haha
Old 08-06-08, 07:28 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
Now i sent the day with the grandparents and since my grandpa and i ran out of stuff to talk about, we started talking about driving. Now my grandpa and I have a good relationship and we were just joking but started debating whoes the worse driver, first time drivers, or old people, he's 80 but drives top notch. Now i do not know if this may cause controversy or not, but let me put this out there, age does not always matter, it depends on the driver, for example I am 15, and i am afriad to drive even close to the speed limit even those i prefer to look at faster cars such as 944's and mb 560's for my first car, don't judge me haha, while my grandpa, in his words is so old that he's farting dust, in his words and drives wonderfully. So in you opinion whoes worse at driving, as a whole, young or old. Hope to get some good input so i can bring all this bak to him haha
I would say that young drivers are worse because usually they are going much faster. Old people are dangerous too but tend to be going slower.
Old 08-06-08, 07:31 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
When I just got my license I was so careful and I never ever sped because I was so scared.

2 weeks later I am flying down every single road and doing 80 on the highways and trying to get to every destination like I am on fire

2 years later I am back to driving slow and safe Must be the car, Lexus makes me feel more calm even though its got more power than my old teg
Old 08-06-08, 07:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ haha must be the car, but i'm afraid to go fast because i know what my dad will do if he finds out i got pulled over, he has some sort of sense thing that he'll know what i did before i even did it lol
Old 08-06-08, 07:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nahh trust me, I've got some close calls like blowing past an intersection and seeing a cop probably like 10x and nothing ever happened.

After a while, you start to feel smart and think you can do this speeding thing when no one is looking and drive nicely around the areas with more cops. I knew my parent would be pissed if I drove recklessly like I did, but after some time on the road I thought I could get away with it since I'm too smart of a driver to get caught unlike the other idiots (this is where people usually get killed thinking they are smart lol).

But I'm glad I toned it down, took a while to get that anger out from you when people cut you off and stuff, but now I rarely ever speed, and when I do, its like 5mph faster than the speed limit. Hell, I do 0-40 in like 12 sec thats how gentle I'm on the throttle now.

The reason why I believe younger person to be worse when it comes to driving as older people tend to make more mistakes, but younger ones drives reckless and force themselves into situations where mistakes will bound to happen.

I am a calm person, and so are my friends, all of us started out like a wuss when we drove, all of us drove like every idiotic teens out there for a while, none of us (except me) changed our styles around until a fender bender happened.

You say you're scared now, but the car.. it will get in your head my man Just be careful and remind yourself constantly
Old 08-06-08, 08:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

haha well i guess the 5.6 v8 monster will have to stay in the garage and the es will be my ride haha cops wont even take a second glance cause they will think its a 70 yr old woman going to the local flee market haha
Old 08-06-08, 08:30 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Both are dangers in the extremes, typically teens are more dangerous with higher speeds, and the elderly more dangerous with the lower speeds. Personally I think everyone has the "No-one can drive but me" mentality that makes us all idiots. People are always finding faults in other peoples driving skills, while neglecting their own. I have my faults, I make mistakes, but I tend to stay the speed limit now, as apposed to many a year back.
Old 08-06-08, 10:28 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All human beings are dangerous. Some young people drive very well, some old people drive very well, some middle aged people drive very well. Goes the same for the opposite.

Like they say... $!@# happens.

Edit: I just restated what you originally stated. haha. I quite agree with Jewcano.
Old 08-06-08, 10:38 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
All human beings are dangerous. Some young people drive very well, some old people drive very well, some middle aged people drive very well. Goes the same for the opposite.

Like they say... $!@# happens.

Edit: I just restated what you originally stated. haha. I quite agree with Jewcano.
I agree!

Every Age group has there great drivers and worst drivers!

I think middle aged drivers have more road rage though, lol
Old 08-06-08, 10:47 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by valgs350
I think middle aged drivers have more road rage though, lol
That's not true , I'm middle aged and I NEVER GET ANGRY while driving , NEVER I TELL YOU . JK
Old 08-06-08, 11:16 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

When I was young I got in two minor accidents, both the fault of other drivers. Even though they were the fault of others, I believe that with my experience now I could have avoided those accidents.
Old 08-06-08, 11:25 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
That's not true , I'm middle aged and I NEVER GET ANGRY while driving , NEVER I TELL YOU . JK
LOL

You just got CL NETRAGE...lol jkjk

Not all but some!!!
Old 08-07-08, 04:35 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is simple. If you're old, younger people drive more dangerously. If your young, older people do.
Old 08-07-08, 05:06 AM
LexFather

Worst drivers bar none Honda/Acura ones. (S2000 and NSX exempt)

As for young/old, its about driver education, IMO. Both can be great, both can be awful. I don't classify either as bad or good drivers. What I do classify is the first sentence, which should drive off a cliff in many cases.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-07-08 at 05:12 AM.

Old 08-07-08, 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Worst drivers bar none Honda/Acura ones. (S2000 and NSX exempt)
Well, the young guys in the slammed Civics with their baggy pants and caps on backwards are certainly aggressive enough (and so are some BMW guys), but, as I've posted before on this subject, I'd rate Mustang V8 drivers as THE most dangerous, hands-down. High-powered-V8 Mustang jocks, though not all crazy, are notorious for drag-racing, and the Mustang, with its big, heavy powertrain, clunky suspension, and (non-Cobra models), ancient live axle, simply doesn't have the agility and handling that Civics and BMWs do. Where I live, more kids are probably killed in Mustangs than any other single vehicle (even the Camaro and Firebird).

The old-vs.-young question has dragged on for decades, and the evidence shows that young people, in general, have better reflexes, can think and react faster, and, of course, usually have better vision/hearing than old folks, but often take silly risks and have an invincible (it can't happen to me) attitude. (I can truthfully say I was one of the exceptions to this pattern in my own youth...with few exceptions, I usually drove sensibly). But older folks, knowing their limitations, and often having having the experience of having BEEN through youth and learning a few things, usually drive slower and don't take chances, or drink and drive. As a result, they have generally have fewer accidents...........and better insurance rates.

Young people, though, DO seem to have an advantage at coping with the overly-complex electronics and controls in today's cars (I-Drive, MMI, I-Pod, Bluetooth, etc...) People my age learned to drive when you kept your eyes on the road and worked simple, non-computerized ***** and buttons. Driving some of today's cars requires clear multi-tasking, in addition to the much worse traffic conditions themselves. Even with the relatively large number of different vehicles I routinely drive and review, I still find many of today's upmarket vehicles and computer systems frustrating to deal with. In general, BMW's I-Drive is the worst, but there are many other examples as well.

Of course, I'm not necessarily against car-related computers. They have made engines and transmissions run and operate far better than was the case decades ago, especially on cold starts/warm-up. They have also made handling and braking on slick surfaces much safer. But on the dash, they can be a real PITA, and a driving distraction.

Quick Reply: Young drivers v.s. Old drivers