Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wall-E redesigns the Honda Ridgeline

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 06:15 PM
LexFather

Default Wall-E redesigns the Honda Ridgeline

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/0...early

All we have to go on are the images and information posted on Carscoop, but it appears the redesigned 2009 Honda Ridgeline is stepping out a bit early to what may be disinterested public. The Ridgeline for '09 gets Honda's new grille that first appeared on the '09 Pilot CUV, along with a new front bumper, headlights and all that jazz in the rear. The interior, while not all-new, gets major upgrades like a new steering wheel, gauges, and HVAC controls, as well as a Bluetooth HandsFreeLink, satellite navigation, a 115-volt power outlet and requisite jacks for the iPod and other MP3 players. According to Carscoop, Nissan has largely left the Ridgeline's 3.5L VTEC V6 the same except for a new camshaft profile and better breathing practices that net a 3 horsepower bump to 250 at 5,700 RPM and a torque increase of 2 lb-ft to 247 at 4,000 RPM. New ratios in the 5-speed automatic transmission are said to take advantage of the new torque and improve acceleration.

We admit that Honda was smart not to dive head first into the full-size truck market in the U.S. like Toyota did with the Tundra, but the Ridgeline with its V6 and unit body has never enjoyed hot sales. It's both terrifically ugly and ill-suited for those super hard core tasks that, while rare, require a real rig. Nevertheless, this is Honda, a brand that really doesn't care what we think about its trucklet and will continue tweaking and perfecting it until we change our minds. Looks like that won't happen in 2009, though we're told to expect it in dealers as early as this September.

Old 08-06-08, 11:52 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's an improvement in looks over the original. I had one for 8 months and loved it, just didn't use the bed nearly as much as I thought I would. Great for what it is though. There are still times I wish I had it available.

If they had a good diesel I would consider it again. The V6 always left me wanting more power, and mileage was never super with it.
Old 08-07-08, 01:20 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez that thing is Fugly...
Old 08-08-08, 08:29 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think it's an improvement in looks over the original. I had one for 8 months and loved it, just didn't use the bed nearly as much as I thought I would. Great for what it is though. . .
You and I are probably pretty close to the target demographic for the Ridgeline - someone who needs a weekend truck for projects around the house, but is still concerned with quality, flexibility, and economy and doesn't need massive power and hauling capacity beyond a few sheets of MDF or a few sacks of . . . uh, fertilizer for the rose bed.

On paper, the Ridge is a nice piece of work - a minivan or more closely, an SUV with a back porch. It is capable of light to medium hauling and offers the famous Honda quality and attention to detail that domestic trucks do not. The one I drove was as handy and as intensely practical as a Swiss army knife, and for the price, a very comfortable, if kinda plain mid-line pickup. The looks, to be charitable, must be an acquired taste. The deep slab sides and skateboard wheels aren't helping.

Honda has done a great job giving us "weekend warriors" what we need; it just isn't what we want.
Old 08-08-08, 11:37 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^^ perfectly said
Old 08-08-08, 02:28 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised, 1sick hasn't bashed it yet.