Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hey fellas, turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 09:52 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hey fellas, turbo questions

I am looking at doing up the exhuast system with some catless or hi-flow catted downpipes from RissRacing. What does an O2 simulator do? Also, they offer a nice set of midpipes for $299, how much power would that add? I know it is purely speculation on your part but I am just curious what you think. The mid pipe are HUGE so I would assume they are important if they are an inch wider in diameter.
Old 08-06-08, 10:08 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you talking about lexus or bmw? If this is for bmw, I guess this is not the right forum...
Old 08-06-08, 10:11 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An O2 simulator keeps your check engine light from going off due to no cats/hi flow cats on your dp. It sends the stock signal to the computer.
Old 08-07-08, 12:53 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wheres the turbo part of the question? are you saying your planning on going turbo so you want to do this?

and hey how does that simulator work, if it sends the stock signal how would the computer adjust the A/F ratio?
Old 08-07-08, 11:47 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Jesus, you guys are some whiny people. First off, car chat doesn't have to deal with lexus cars. Second, how would a post not be random on here? Explain that one to me. Do I need to post several threads about something so to follow up on it? Most of the things I read here are random so get a clue.

Plus, I did post this at a BMW forum as well but most often I get a better response from more mature people on here. I guess this case was different. If you don't have something to say that is helpful than why even post this nonsense? Yes, I was in a hurry when I wrote that. I am moving to a new house so excuse my writing style for being blunt.
Old 08-07-08, 12:40 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what they're trying to get at is that this is a Lexus specific forum even if it is Car Chat. We're not going to be BMW gurus so most of us won't know the gains on your particular vehicle. There are however some 335 owners on here and they can help so everyone stop bashing on him for asking a question.
Old 08-07-08, 01:28 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I am looking at doing up the exhuast system with some catless or hi-flow catted downpipes from RissRacing. What does an O2 simulator do? Also, they offer a nice set of midpipes for $299, how much power would that add? I know it is purely speculation on your part but I am just curious what you think. The mid pipe are HUGE so I would assume they are important if they are an inch wider in diameter.
Without understanding the intracasies of the 335i computer it is hard to predict what will happen. Typical high flow cats/midpipe can can yield nice gains, if the requisite a/f, timing, psi is modified accordingly. Some cars may actually not benefit at all or even lose hp because the computer may sense too high of a flow rate and compensate accordingly. Hence, in a nutshell...YMMV and you're probably better of checking with other Bimmer owners and their experience.
Old 08-07-08, 11:59 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Jesus, you guys are some whiny people. First off, car chat doesn't have to deal with lexus cars. Second, how would a post not be random on here? Explain that one to me. Do I need to post several threads about something so to follow up on it? Most of the things I read here are random so get a clue.

Plus, I did post this at a BMW forum as well but most often I get a better response from more mature people on here. I guess this case was different. If you don't have something to say that is helpful than why even post this nonsense? Yes, I was in a hurry when I wrote that. I am moving to a new house so excuse my writing style for being blunt.
They just keep your ecu from reading what really going on. Kinda trick your computers. Don't forget that o2 simulators are illegal. They are for off road/ track use only.

you're right about e90 being dicks.

Last edited by f=ma; 08-08-08 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-08-08, 01:20 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is coming...

How do I get my car to pass smog?

Last edited by LexFather; 08-08-08 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-08-08, 05:41 AM
LexFather

Guys, give SilverBull a break. We have many BMW owners on here and people with experience with BMWs, they might chime in with his answer.

SilverBull, I do suggest a more descriptive title so you can attract people that can help more.

As for adding a midpipe, I wouldn't expect more than 5hp, computers are what run the engines now and adding bolt ons to new cars isn't a guarantee for more power.

Old 08-08-08, 06:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OC335 has all the goodies.. He is a member of e90post & CL. Pm him for info. I am stock & will stay so
Old 08-08-08, 10:59 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

O2 simulators are available for lots of cars, not just BMW's guys. Supras have them as well a lot of cars that don't want to get a CEL. I had a pretty good idea what the sims did but there are some wise and smart people here who know a little bit about everything. I ask random questions since a lot people tend to like the threads I start. 1/10 usually goes like this but I deal with it and move on. I have been on this board awhile and had an IS350 before my car and still on an RX350.

I do understand that the title and thread were written poorly but I was in a hurry and didn't proofread it.
Old 08-08-08, 11:36 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Silverbull count me in as enjoying your "random" threads as much as any in Car Chat. I try to transfer performance knowledge from the source to brands I own (Lexus & others ). I have not had the pleasure of experiencing a new 3 series except thru the pages of magazines, but it seems their weakspot is low rpm power which will probablly be worsened by increaseing exhaustpipe size. Your car stats mention Dinan tuning, what do they think about this?
Old 08-08-08, 11:53 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

O2 foolers arent legal (EPA) but are pretty much universal.

they send a generic signal to the ECU...which I would only do with an aftermarket / replacement or piggyback ecu to correct any A/F problems.

They should not be used by people who dont know what they are..ur asking for trouble because ur stock ECU thinks its running "OK"....All while you're dumping hella fuel and air into your engine via turbo.

If u put them in, take it to a Dyno for tuning and have a wideband installed to monitor your readings. Having a air/fuel meter is a must with these...as well as a way to adjust your fuel and air.

eh, u can also use sparkplug non-foulers that will do the same thing for about $5 bucks!
Old 08-08-08, 11:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

BZZZZT. Nope. O2 sims are to make the ECM believe there is still a working cat in the system. Nothing else. They have zero input to fuel trim. The primary O2 does that before any cat because post cat sensing is pointless.

Quick Reply: hey fellas, turbo questions