Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti G37 Sedan, G37x Coupe, Convertible (New Top Up Conv. Pics pg. 6)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 10:53 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

infiniti worked the sheet metal well on this one.

with all the shapes you can put into sheet metal, i don't know why lexus is sticking to bland designs.

...taking japanese "keep it simple stupid" philosophy to the extreme.
Old 10-03-08, 12:19 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to see the G37 witht he top up, but top down does look better to me than the IS...C!

G35 Coupe still the king of the hill in my book though!
Old 10-10-08, 02:09 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to defect, but i think im gonna pull the trigger and trade my GS300 for either a 2008 G37S or a 2008 G37S sedan. Test drove the hardtop coupe couple weeks ago and i was hooked on the balance of performance and luxury, although the G35 felt a bit nimbler (albeit the weight).
Old 11-18-08, 07:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Infiniti releases third teaser for G37 Convertible

Infiniti releases third teaser for G37 Convertible

Infiniti's parent company, Nissan, first hinted at the introduction of a convertible version of the new G37 Coupe when it released its GT 2012 company-wide strategy back in May. Late last month, the company formally announced that the G37 Convertible would arrive in the first quarter of next year as a 2009 model following a world debut at this week’s Los Angeles Auto Show, and also released a side-on teaser shot.

Infiniti has now released a third teaser shot a day out from the car's debut, while also confirming that it will be available in Europe as well as North America.

Based on the current G37 Coupe, the convertible will feature a three-piece automatic folding hardtop and several unique interior appointments. Speaking with Automotive News, Nissan’s chief designer Shiro Nakamura was keen to point out that there will be a lot more differences between the Coupe and Convertible than just the roof.

To keep the proportions of the Coupe, designers needed to mask the relatively tall trunk, which needed to be extended to accommodate the folding roof system. "There were lots of discussions with engineers and suppliers. By slightly widening, slightly lengthening the car, it all balances fine," he explained to reporters. “From the rear quarter view it looks different — its own car."

Power will come from the same 328hp (245kW) 3.7L V6 engine used in the Coupe, giving the car more than enough oomph to take on the likes of BMW’s 335i drop-top. The convertible G37 should also get a new 7-speed automatic transmission that will eventually be available on all Infiniti G models (6-speed manual transmissions will also be available), as well as an optional uprated brake package and newly designed 18in alloys.

The new convertible should go on sale in North America early next year before arriving in Europe towards the end of the year.
source
Old 11-18-08, 07:57 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I just dont think it works.
Old 11-18-08, 08:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total pwnage of ISc
Old 11-18-08, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Total pwnage of ISc
I actually think the ISc looks better.

The G37 convertible is a bit uninspired. Nothing truly unique beyond the chopped top.

At least the ISc changes a lot of design cues to differentiate itself from the sedan, such as the taillights, wheels, and seat design.

Both the Infiniti and Lexus still suffer from the same hardtop genes: a bulky rear and high waistline. Are there pics of the G37c with the top up?
Old 11-18-08, 09:12 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Total pwnage of ISc
Need to see it with the top up before giving it my judgement. All these hard-top verts looks great (or at least good) with the top down, including the IS-C. However, with the hard-top up the car can go from stunning (3er)/nice (IS-C) to meh (3er)/crap (IS-C) really fast...

Infinit is being sneaky here by only providing the top-down pictures.
Old 11-18-08, 10:27 AM
LexFather

I agree, this kills the ISc, but only b/c the ISc IMO is poorly done outside the rear straight on view.

The G37 styling already looking feline, this convert doesn't help at all. Looks like a bigger SC 430 to me. A lot of SC 430 bashers will need to eat words now lol.

Overall, a nice additition to a great lineup
G37 sedan coupe
G37x sedan coupe
G37 convert

Old 11-18-08, 11:19 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree, this kills the ISc, but only b/c the ISc IMO is poorly done outside the rear straight on view.

The G37 styling already looking feline, this convert doesn't help at all. Looks like a bigger SC 430 to me. A lot of SC 430 bashers will need to eat words now lol.

Overall, a nice additition to a great lineup
G37 sedan coupe
G37x sedan coupe
G37 convert
Agree that it is somewhat softer now. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I can see this being very appealing to a lot of folks. I guess what matters is that they succeeded in doing something which is not that easy... translated the coupe to a convertible very well.
Old 11-18-08, 11:23 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Both the Infiniti and Lexus still suffer from the same hardtop genes: a bulky rear and high waistline. Are there pics of the G37c with the top up?
I wish there was a way to translate the styling of the coupe to the total body. No the BMW 3 is not perfect, but BMW managed to style the vert similar to the coupe and that is what is appealing.

No there is nothing wrong with a "different" coupe/vert shape in the rear, but losing the lines of the coupe or in the IS case, the sedan, loses something in translation that makes it a bit boring.
Old 11-18-08, 11:28 AM
jay.see
Driver School Candidate

I'm not seeing how the G37 convert is looking so much better than the ISX50C.. Stick a nice set of wheels on the ISX50C and it will look better.
Old 11-18-08, 11:43 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can someone post a pic of the IS coupe and G37 side by side?
Old 11-19-08, 04:48 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Theres a reason why we only saw the top down pics. Still better than the ISc, but Im not impressed with the top up look.

Old 11-19-08, 06:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

http://www.autospies.com/news/LA-AUT...-PHOTOS-37667/

Quick Reply: Infiniti G37 Sedan, G37x Coupe, Convertible (New Top Up Conv. Pics pg. 6)