Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Buick LaCrosse spied uncovered

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 07:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Awful. It may look good to some of you here at CAR CHAT, but it's not a BUICK. Though I'll save further comments from when I can see the car in person rather than just a few peek shots, my primary reaction is that it's too much of a Cadillac CTS, especially the console. Buicks aren't supposed to be sports sedans............the company is going to be in real trouble if it keeps ignoring its traditional customer base, which is a decidedly anti-sporting crowd. We have seen several other companies do this in the last several years (convert their fleet to sport sedans)....Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.... They got away with it, to some extent. Buick won't. Their customers just won't tolerate it.
Are you suggesting that they go back to this?

Old 08-09-08, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the Lexus GS, which this buick seems to be trying to emulate, just looks so much smoother, despite the GS bubble butt.

but it was designed by GM's chinese team. So i'm not surprised.
Buick, recently, has announced publically that Lexus is their primary target.

Despite my earlier comments on American Buick customers probably not looking favorably on this design, one must remember (myself included) that much of Buick's forte, today, is China, where the marque is considered a prestige car, and is sought after. In China, to own a Buick is, to an extent, becoming part of the Chinese "dream".
Old 08-09-08, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Are you suggesting that they go back to this?

For many of their American customers, suspension-wise, yes, but the dash and interior materials of the last-generation Buicks were a joke, quality-wise....especially with that LeSabre you posted. But if you have driven an older LeSabre or Park Avenue like that, you will know that it is COMFORTABLE to ride in. That, to an extent, is what defines a Buick.

While, as you know, I don't agree with the idea of stereotypes, the fact is that the average American Buick customer wants a soft, cushy ride, low noise levels, and cushy seats above all else. They are not interested in sport-sedan response. Hpwever, see my comments above on Buick in China....that is not necessarily the case over there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-08 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-09-08, 11:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Def not feeling the new design. Is it just me, but why does this thing remind me/give me vibes of looking kinda BMW x6'ish. I know it is not an exact copy, but the overall design on this thing makes it look X6'ish. Buick customers are not gonna be happy with this one.
Old 08-10-08, 04:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow...This Buick has the same butt as the 3rd gen Lexus GS.. Perhaps this will ignite the fire under the feet of the Lexus front office honchos to hurry with the 4th gen GS.
Old 08-10-08, 06:23 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Wow...This Buick has the same butt as the 3rd gen Lexus GS.. Perhaps this will ignite the fire under the feet of the Lexus front office honchos to hurry with the 4th gen GS.
nope. not the same. and that's not gonna make them hurry the next GS

buick's lights are taller and uglier. and the whole car is just uglier.

the BMW 7 sorta copied the LS butt. even the lights light up the same almost. imitation is flattery

Old 08-10-08, 09:28 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For many of their American customers, suspension-wise, yes, but the dash and interior materials of the last-generation Buicks were a joke, quality-wise....especially with that LeSabre you posted. But if you have driven an older LeSabre or Park Avenue like that, you will know that it is COMFORTABLE to ride in. That, to an extent, is what defines a Buick.
My buddy had a Le Sabre just like that and comfortable is not the word I'd used to describe it. I felt like I was in a very precarious position the whole time. Even stopping the car made me very nervous because of the mushy brake pedal that seemed to do nothing. I frankly don't see how little old ladies see over the dash of these things. They must sit on doughnuts.

Now my dad's Aurora I thought road comfortably.
Old 08-10-08, 09:34 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i think it looks like its fat ... as in ... needs a diet ... why is the car fat?
Old 08-11-08, 08:14 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with mmarshall completely. Some car buyers just could not give a hoot about handling or suspension dynamics. They're not interested in 18/19" wheels with 35/40 series tires. They just want "floaty" quiet, comfortable land barges. Who's going to cater to them now? Cadillac's out, Lincoln's out, no more Olds. Their only option now is LS460, Avalon, or Crown Vic.

Nearly every single car manufacturer has gone to larger, lower profile tire/wheel combinations and stiffer suspensions, even on their most luxurious models. Where does that leave the traditional Buick buyer?
Old 08-11-08, 12:47 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Reminds me of a cross between a Scion TC and an Avalon.
Old 08-11-08, 12:50 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
it looks and "feels" kinda cheap.
it has something to do with its proportions. they're just off. and the butt looks chopped short.
the Lexus GS, which this buick seems to be trying to emulate, just looks so much smoother, despite the GS bubble butt.

but it was designed by GM's chinese team. So i'm not surprised.

Now that is what the ES350 should look like
Old 08-11-08, 02:26 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree with mmarshall completely. Some car buyers just could not give a hoot about handling or suspension dynamics. They're not interested in 18/19" wheels with 35/40 series tires. They just want "floaty" quiet, comfortable land barges. Who's going to cater to them now? Cadillac's out, Lincoln's out, no more Olds. Their only option now is LS460, Avalon, or Crown Vic.

Nearly every single car manufacturer has gone to larger, lower profile tire/wheel combinations and stiffer suspensions, even on their most luxurious models. Where does that leave the traditional Buick buyer?
i agree too ... (i still think the car looks fat tho) ... there are lots of people out there that just want a cushy ride, i think i mentioned this in another thread recently that those buyers are running out of options

personally i like GT cars so i'm a-ok, but thats me ... HOWEVER! i actually prefer more tire and less rim ... but i want wider tires (more grip and all that)
Old 08-11-08, 07:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
the back sort of looks like a camry to me, but thats just me
+1.... first thing I thought was "isnt that a camry"?