Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Buick LaCrosse spied uncovered

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08 | 05:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Default 2010 Buick LaCrosse spied uncovered

In just its third model year since debuting for 2005, the Buick LaCrosse is still a relatively new vehicle. While a freshening was expected—and confirmed earlier this year—for 2009, we weren’t under the impression that Buick’s mid-size sedan was being totally redesigned so soon. However, in light of these leaked photos of a pre-production 2010 LaCrosse, it appears GM has put the car on fast-forward.

While grainy, these photos do give us the very first look at the car without camouflage and in near-production guise. Having first seen this vehicle in concept form earlier this year at the Beijing Auto Show as the Invicta Concept—and again last month via another set of leaked GM photos labeled, simply, “Buick Sedan”—the feeling at the time was that it may have been an all-new model for Buick.

Looking very similar to the Invicta concept overall, the new LaCrosse doesn’t have a typical Buick feel to it. Sporting an aggressive roofline—similar in profile to various “four-door coupes” such as the Volkswagen Passat CC and the Mercedes-Benz CLS—and smooth front end, the styling closely mirrors that of Buick’s new Enclave sport-ute. While the translation to production from concept appears to have taken the typical toll—smaller wheels, higher stance, less flash—the rest of the car stays fairly true to its auto-show roots.

The theme continues in the cabin, which—borrowing small cues from the also recently redesigned Cadillac CTS—looks just like illustrations Buick showed us earlier this year. Featuring a slick center console, modern instrument cluster, and curvaceous dashboard, this car may be on track to appeal to a wider market than the previous-generation LaCrosse.

While the hood looks to be popped in the main exterior spy shot, unfortunately no photos were taken of the vehicle’s powerplant. With the Invicta concept sporting a 2.0-liter direct-injected and turbocharged four-cylinder engine with a six-speed automatic transmission, we would expect base versions to come equipped similarly. Another powerful and fuel-efficient possibility is the corporate direct-injected V-6, which makes as much as 304 horsepower in the CTS. With gas prices on the rise, this seems like a more palatable performance option than a V-8–powered “Super” model.

We’ll be sure to get any official photos to you as soon as we have them; we expect an official debut sometime in the near future—possibly at November’s L.A. auto show or in Detroit in January—with sales beginning next spring.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._spied?cid=221
Old 08-08-08 | 06:05 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

I'm not that hot about that 6" front and rear fender gap, or the front end. Oh well, it is just a Buick after all.
Old 08-08-08 | 06:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Looks sort of Corolla-ey in proportions and in some of the details. Not bad for a Buick though.
Old 08-08-08 | 06:33 PM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Did the designer work for Acura and Buick at the same time?
Old 08-08-08 | 07:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

the back sort of looks like a camry to me, but thats just me
Old 08-08-08 | 08:13 PM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by jmd93
the back sort of looks like a camry to me, but thats just me
Looks like it could be an overseas Toyota rear
Old 08-08-08 | 10:56 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

oh it looks so japanese to me..
Old 08-09-08 | 01:27 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

very Japanese, or even Hyundai design in it.
Old 08-09-08 | 06:01 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

it looks and "feels" kinda cheap.
it has something to do with its proportions. they're just off. and the butt looks chopped short.
the Lexus GS, which this buick seems to be trying to emulate, just looks so much smoother, despite the GS bubble butt.

but it was designed by GM's chinese team. So i'm not surprised.

Old 08-09-08 | 06:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

The concept its based off of looked nice.

Old 08-09-08 | 06:23 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Another fail.
GM needs to terminate Buick for their own good.
Old 08-09-08 | 07:07 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
Another fail.
GM needs to terminate Buick for their own good.
i think buick is actually a money maker.

they need to terminate pontiac
Old 08-09-08 | 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Awful. It may look good to some of you here at CAR CHAT, but it's not a BUICK. Though I'll save further comments from when I can see the car in person rather than just a few peek shots, my primary reaction is that it's too much of a Cadillac CTS, especially the console. Buicks aren't supposed to be sports sedans............the company is going to be in real trouble if it keeps ignoring its traditional customer base, which is a decidedly anti-sporting crowd. We have seen several other companies do this in the last several years (convert their fleet to sport sedans)....Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.... They got away with it, to some extent. Buick won't. Their customers just won't tolerate it.
Old 08-09-08 | 07:44 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I'm not that hot about that 6" front and rear fender gap
I think the hood is popped in the photo you're referencing. That's not a real gap.
Old 08-09-08 | 07:49 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Infiniti G35 front! Why They copied it almost directly.

Last edited by lexmenow; 08-09-08 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Buick LaCrosse spied uncovered