Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Stick Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 08:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Thats interesting. My dad's 3 is an '06 and most of the ones on the lot were manuals. We tested the auto and it was pretty pathetic.
I asked for a test drive of a manual 330i & they didn't have one available for test drive & they were(& still are) the highest volume BMW dealer here.
They had to call me back weeks later when they had a used one came in so they can let me drive it.
Old 08-10-08, 08:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I asked for a test drive of a manual 330i & they didn't have one available for test drive & they were(& still are) the highest volume BMW dealer here.
They had to call me back weeks later when they had a used one came in so they can let me drive it.
Thats weird cause we test drove a MT 330xi, 330ci, and then an auto 330xi and ordered the MT version. The had a MT 530i in their show room and couple MT 550s on their lot.

Perhaps it has to do with what the dealer wants to take.
Old 08-10-08, 08:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

They would want to take them if they sell, they clearly are not what most people want here locally.
Old 08-10-08, 09:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

another reason I like the Z06 so much....only available with 6-speed manual

my Audi has the 6 spd DSG gearbox and sorry, I'd take the manual tranny any day over this...it tries its hardest to know what I'm gonna do...accelerate/coast/cruise but still fails...delays on acceleration and then I end up putting it in neutral just so I can coast....
Old 08-10-08, 09:21 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

while i have always wanted a manual, especially an older discovery or es300 in one, i think that for people who deal with traffic (me which sucks) that it is jut a pain, maybe be as a second car but thats it. The thing is as many others have said people who buy lexus look for a comfortable car to drive everyday not a weekend warrior, not going to lie though if they made a 6 speed gs, i would make myself learn how to drive stick and deal with the issues that come with a manual, also with that i would think more maintnence goes into a manual than a automatic which some people may not want to deal with, i think. All in all if you want a manual and a lexus the is is the only way to go because i highly doubt they will ever put a manual back into the es.
Old 08-10-08, 09:34 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Over here, unless you pass your driving test in a manual transmission car, including hill starts etc. you can only ever drive autos and your licence is endorsed as such and held up (rightly) for ridicule when attempting to hire cars and trucks. Admitting you can only drive an auto in social situations is rather like confessing you go shopping pulling one of those little tartan wheeled baskets.

That said, having driven manuals all my life, I love my Lexus IS auto.
Old 08-10-08, 09:44 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See now, I would think that the IS350 would be an ideal car offer with a 6MT. I driven both generations and neither has come off to me as comfortable luxury. I could see rallying one for that matter.
Old 08-10-08, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think a big factor on this is increasing traffic. People buy luxury cars generally to have a serene drive with LESS EFFORT AND INVOLVEMENT, so a stick doesn't make sense.
Bingo. That's the main reason......in a nutshell.

Old 08-10-08, 01:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ i see a bmw, which probabl;y has a manual with an owner kicking himself in the head for not having an automatic haha
Old 08-10-08, 01:32 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Oh golly gosh, all those world-class sports cars with manual transmission are sooo working class...M6, ZR1, 911, countless Italian exotics....
I wouldn't consider them LUXURY cars...They're high-end brand sure, luxury? I don't think so
Old 08-10-08, 02:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Over here, unless you pass your driving test in a manual transmission car, including hill starts etc. you can only ever drive autos and your licence is endorsed as such and held up (rightly) for ridicule when attempting to hire cars and trucks. Admitting you can only drive an auto in social situations is rather like confessing you go shopping pulling one of those little tartan wheeled baskets.
That's the way it should be, a different class of license for drivers who took licensing tests in an automatic car, & a full license granted only to those who past the test in a manual car.
Old 08-10-08, 02:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I can understand that there isnt as much of a demand for them.... but can't they at least offfer a stick per order?
Old 08-10-08, 02:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Yes, but there's another big difference. UK driving test requires some actual skill to pass. Test here requires that you can fog a mirror.
Old 08-10-08, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
That's the way it should be, a different class of license for drivers who took licensing tests in an automatic car, & a full license granted only to those who past the test in a manual car.
SMT, DSG, Automanual Sport-Shift, etc....transmissions obviously cloud the picture here somewhat, so the way I see it, a "manual" vehicle, for the purpose of the test, would probably have to be defined as one containing a foot-operated clutch pedal.
Old 08-10-08, 03:23 PM
hb55047
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my road test with a stick (apparently not a good idea), I also daily drove a stick 240sx and corolla over a few years. Rush hour traffic was horrible, with stop and go it was either have the engine race in first gear or shift to second and then stop. Thats why when i bought my sc i was specifically looking for an automatic, it was just easier to deal with as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: The Stick Shift