Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Stick Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 05:30 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, but there's another big difference. UK driving test requires some actual skill to pass. Test here requires that you can fog a mirror.
This is a huge problem in the US. Driving is a privilege, there are so many people who shouldn't be on the road. Hell if we started with harder testing there would be less congestion in the RMV.
Old 08-11-08, 02:27 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
SMT, DSG, Automanual Sport-Shift, etc....transmissions obviously cloud the picture here somewhat, so the way I see it, a "manual" vehicle, for the purpose of the test, would probably have to be defined as one containing a foot-operated clutch pedal.
You're quite correct. If the car only has two pedals it is regarded as an automatic for licencing purposes. The holder of an automatic licence can drive a manual car provided they are accompanied by a qualified driver over the age of 21, display "L" plates, and they do not exceed 45mph.
Old 08-11-08, 08:22 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Haven't checked recently, but even 5 years ago, before I got my G35 coupe, I was also looking at BMW, & the salesman told me that less than 20% of the 3-series they sold have manual transmissions, & they don't even stock them, you most likely have to factory order if you want a manual.
Strange - normally dealers will have a couple of 3-series manuals. You won't find things like the xi models hanging around in manuals, but the 325/328/330/335 all should be/should have been in stock in at least one manual.

The 525/528/530/535/550 is a whole different story - finding one of those sitting around on a dealer in manual is/was almost impossible.

So in short, BMW still makes a lot in manual (20% sounds about right) - but that is way down from where they used to be.
Old 08-11-08, 10:47 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99

But to me true sport is rowing your own gears and I feel that this skill is something thats being forgotten.
Why is it "true sports" to you? F1 cars have sequential automatics a la MR2 Spyder / Sportsbikes. That's as true sports as you can get. And the typical advantages of sticks in recent years:

- Power efficiency (less parasitic driveline loss)
- Better gas mileage (new 6-8 speed autos are as gas thrifty)
- Rev control (blipping on newer dsg style manumatics offer the same precision)

those have been effectively nullified by recent advancements in the autos. For specialized race vehicles a la Dodge Viper ACR, I can see stickshifts as a nice option, but on regular road vehicles? Seriously, why? To stroke your own "sports car" ego? Seriously, as I said on another thread, after owning 2 500hp Supra TTs, S2000, and 500hp Evo IX all with sticks...yes they were fun for the track, but for everyday driving, i would have opted for a DSG style manumatic anyday (and with the recent advances in the tech, i would of loved to try it at the track as well).
Old 08-11-08, 11:18 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to have a stickshift car in my garage, so I can OCCASIONALLY enjoy the fun of manual.
But I drive my automatic ones most of time, because I am lazy.

I rather Lexus offers sticks to more models, and I am sure there is market for them.
Old 08-11-08, 11:29 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
Why is it "true sports" to you? F1 cars have sequential automatics a la MR2 Spyder / Sportsbikes. That's as true sports as you can get. And the typical advantages of sticks in recent years:

those have been effectively nullified by recent advancements in the autos. For specialized race vehicles a la Dodge Viper ACR, I can see stickshifts as a nice option, but on regular road vehicles? Seriously, why? To stroke your own "sports car" ego? Seriously, as I said on another thread, after owning 2 500hp Supra TTs, S2000, and 500hp Evo IX all with sticks...yes they were fun for the track, but for everyday driving, i would have opted for a DSG style manumatic anyday (and with the recent advances in the tech, i would of loved to try it at the track as well).
I just switched to a manual car and I LOVE IT. I really don't notice it during regular driving (like riding a bike a guess) and it sure do enjoy driving it more during spirited driving.

IF, I were planning on taking this car to the track a lot, I probably would have gone SMG, but for a daily driver, having a manual transmission rocks.

I do agree with blacksc400 that having an auto and a stick would be the best of both worlds.
Old 08-11-08, 01:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think I get frustrated because I have so few friends that actually know how to drive a stick. Last road trip we took I had the most reliable and fuel efficient car and I drove the whole 12 hours because no one else could. At the same time, I never have to let anyone borrow my car.

5 years from now I would love to buy a used GS or IS350 with a 6MT. But it doesn't look like it is meant to be.
Old 08-11-08, 01:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

I think I get frustrated because I have so few friends that actually know how to drive a stick. Last road trip we took I had the most reliable and fuel efficient car and I drove the whole 12 hours because no one else could. At the same time, I never have to let anyone borrow my car.

5 years from now I would love to buy a used GS or IS350 with a 6MT. But it doesn't look like it is meant to be.

Why not teach them then? Pretty easy to learn....just don't let them practice heel and toe double clutching w/ a judicious brake stand, side swipe launch.....
Old 08-11-08, 01:55 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i personally think that there would be a lot better drivers out there if everyone HAD to learn manual (not meaning they should have to drive it all the time, i'm lazy too and like my auto) ... but my driving did change after i knew how to drive and understood a manual car (yes w. using both feet, i agree that part is important)

you probably don't drive as close to the person in front of you because you'd rather not down shift if you dont have to ... you probably also don't floor it off the line because that makes for a lot of quick shifting rite away (and in cities also for more quick down shifting again very soon) ... and i think you generally pay more attention because taking action if a problem comes up is not quite as simple as hitting the break pedal

i like manual cars, but i live in a city w. traffic issues, so i'd rather drive the auto on a daily bases ... but i am looking into a sports car option rather soon for entertainment
Old 08-12-08, 12:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Why not teach them then? Pretty easy to learn....just don't let them practice heel and toe double clutching w/ a judicious brake stand, side swipe launch.....
Well I taught a girlfriend once and then right after I did that I had to replace my clutch. Then I tried teaching my roomate and he just can't do it. My clutch isnt a good one to learn on.
Old 08-12-08, 12:25 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

I think its hilarious when people start bringing F1 cars as examples. I'm not sure what you or other people drive, but most people here are not driving anything near an F1 car

Yes, automatics have their advantages. With recent advances in technology, it has become a quicker shifting machine than any human can shift in a manual transmission. And it has the conveniance factor in traffic.

But anyone who is really looking for the most thrilling drive, a true manual is a no-brainer. I'd rather have alot more fun driving a manual and lose a little bit of performance in comparison to a high-tech auto in a car like the IS-F or IS350.

Like I have always said, there's nothing wrong with people getting an automatic. Obviously, there's a lot of reasons why people should get automatics. But taking away the option of a manual is just a horrible idea in a car like the IS350 or IS-F.

Lexus is the worst in offering manuals for enthusiasts. As of now, they're also the least "sportiest" luxury company.

They need to wake up and start offering 6-speed manuals in 2 doors for those who seek a sport-oriented car.

PS. I live in one of the most traffic jammed cities (Los Angeles). And have absolutely no problem driving my 6MT.
Old 08-12-08, 12:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Manuals have poorer resale value.

Lexus does not want any of that...
Old 08-12-08, 12:46 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I can understand that there isnt as much of a demand for them.... but can't they at least offfer a stick per order?
yes, because it makes a good deal of sense for a business to offer something that less than what, 15-20% of their consumers even want or ask for.

Old 08-12-08, 01:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skater
I think its hilarious when people start bringing F1 cars as examples. I'm not sure what you or other people drive, but most people here are not driving anything near an F1 car
Do you understand the transmission in an F1 car? Citing the sequential shifting automatics was to point out the "true sports" nature if you will of real sports cars. And while it is not readily available in your everyday mundane commuter, they are readily used in grass roots sports clubs / championships for those who have $$$ (re: Mitsu Evo), as well as your everyday motorcycle.

But anyone who is really looking for the most thrilling drive, a true manual is a no-brainer. I'd rather have alot more fun driving a manual and lose a little bit of performance in comparison to a high-tech auto in a car like the IS-F or IS350.
This is what really is comical....saying that the most "thrilling drive" is in a manual. Have you ever been to Buttonwillow/Willow/Streets, much less your basic auto-x? The thrill is in the driving and mastery of the vehicle, not necesarily in the transmission. If I can drive as fast or faster in DSG style clutch, it is not less "thrilling"..

Like I have always said, there's nothing wrong with people getting an automatic. Obviously, there's a lot of reasons why people should get automatics. But taking away the option of a manual is just a horrible idea in a car like the IS350 or IS-F.
Because....? , I guess vehicles like the GT-R are so boring in comparison too a stick shift corolla.

Lexus is the worst in offering manuals for enthusiasts. As of now, they're also the least "sportiest" luxury company.
If you think Acura is "sporty", you might want to go back to vtec.net where you belong.
Old 08-12-08, 01:45 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Well I taught a girlfriend once and then right after I did that I had to replace my clutch. Then I tried teaching my roomate and he just can't do it. My clutch isnt a good one to learn on.
Hehehe, yes....if you can't find them...grind them. I think the only real advantage manual have left is in the cost of replacement / repair. Much cheaper to replace a clutch then to take a part a auto and redo all the gears / body.

Quick Reply: The Stick Shift