Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Solara lives

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 12:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
^^^ Ithink the gx is a great vehicle for it's price and it's league. First of, the g-wagon should be in the same league as the range rover and lx, second of all most people would, at least the ones i know would and have picked the gx over the mdx, while i fidn the q7 extremely nice, i highly doubt they are selling that well either. If anything the gx ,considering what it is, is a hit
not to mention that GX is 5 years old now . And new one is coming too....
Old 08-11-08, 12:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The GX is not a stable vehicle imo & I would not want to be behind the wheel of one making an accident avoidance maneuver on the highway.. The GX needs a stable chassis & better driver control ala the competition. Hopefully, the above mentioned will be addressed next generation.. Speaking of competion, I had an opportunity to drive the GX and its competition just last year on an autocross/driving event sponsored by BMW..

actually GX drives quite well... I just drove its brother Prado over the mountain roads for 14 hour drive and drove quite well...

I always loved how well GX drives for what it is...
Old 08-11-08, 12:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

When I was in Mexico we had the 2nd generation Solara and it wasn't too popular. What hurt it was partially it's power and there were other options on the market that were better suited. Plus it was ungodly large for where I lived, Mexico City, where people wanted smaller vehicles. Toyota also tried a marketing scheme similar to that of the Matrix, relying on its unique shape compared to what was existing in the market, but that also didn't sit well. I agree with the comments that it needs a larger engine. This wouldn't be too much issue in Mexico, where other Toyota vehicles now sport the 270 hp engine, but in other overseas markets where such engine package might not be available, that would require instruction of the mechanics and a parts network.
Old 08-11-08, 12:23 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if the offer the convert in a four cylinder and give the sport model a sport suspension the car would sell better. Also why not replace the four with the new 2.5 thats cming out soon.
Old 08-11-08, 12:23 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually GX drives quite well... I just drove its brother Prado over the mountain roads for 14 hour drive and drove quite well...
Yes it does drive quite well but IMO and experience the new unibody vehicles now drive better.

I always loved how well GX drives for what it is...
Nobody is saying that the GX is a bad SUVs. It just there are some many better alternatives now...IMO the Highlander is a much better choice.

If the GX is redesign to be anything like it is now...it won't nearly be the hit the LX570 is right now.
Old 08-11-08, 01:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
That is what I said earlier. Lexus needs to go down market with pricing. I still don't know why there is a 342 v8 in the lineup when there is is a fantastic 3.5 303hp v6.
I expected the GS460 to run at least mid 13s. It barely edges out the GS350 Usually I would buy the larger engine version that comes with the car, but this is one of the only few times where I would pick up the V6 over the V8.
Old 08-11-08, 02:03 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I expected the GS460 to run at least mid 13s. It barely edges out the GS350 Usually I would buy the larger engine version that comes with the car, but this is one of the only few times where I would pick up the V6 over the V8
This is what I mean when I say Lexus needs to move down market with the Lexus vehicles. There was a time where you have spend a lot of $ to get some serious performance and high end luxury. Today this is no longer the case.

I think the way Lexus defines luxury is going to come to an end. Manufactures like Honda/Acura, Infinit/Nissan, Cadillac and even now Hyundai are now giving buyers way more for dollar than Lexus commands.

Lexus IMO was alway middle luxury. Not as cheap as Cadillac/Infiniti but not as expensive as Mercedes/BMW....

Either move Lexus more upscale in price or move it down.

Interesting to note...the best selling Lexus models right now are close to $85k plus in the LX and LS hybrid models.
Old 06-11-09, 06:09 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post End of the Road

While production of the Camry Solara Coupe has already bowed out, we can confirm today that the more expensive Solara Convertible won’t be produced anymore either due to flagging sales in the midsize convertible market. However, existing stockpiles will see the car in showrooms for at least the next two years but there are no plans for a replacement. This means that the new Lexus IS C drop-top will eventually be the most affordable Toyota/Lexus convertible in the North American market.

Speaking with Ward’s Auto, Toyota’s U.S. manufacturing chief Rick Hesterberg said there were no plans to restart production of the Camry Solara convertible, which was last built in December 2008. “I think there was some hope that eventually during the spring/summer months the market would bear a need,” he said. “We kept the tooling, just waiting to see, but that never came to fruition.”

This is just the latest in a spate of convertible model cuts, which include the Honda S2000, Chrysler PT Cruiser, and Pontiac G6 and Solstice convertibles. Some midsize convertibles still on sale include the Chrysler Sebring, Ford Mustang, and Volkswagen Eos convertibles.

Filling the void at the Georgetown, Kentucky plant where the Solara Convertible was built will be increased production of the Toyota Venza crossover.
Old 06-11-09, 06:54 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

My mom has an 07 solara convertable. Nice car, but the suspension is shakey as hell and the thing is a goddamn barge.
they really should dump the solara and offer a hartop camry coupe only.

In other news...
Im getting really irritated with all this crossover/suv noise.
if lexus starts killing off cars and replaces them with crossovers im done.
Old 06-11-09, 07:03 AM
Koma

Eos is not a midsize convertible...
Old 06-11-09, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Good they can buy an IS-C now.

Old 06-11-09, 08:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

End of the Solara?

Perhaps it's time to bring back the MR2 Spyder...

In fact, I think Scion would be interesting if they offered a little roadster like the MR2. Not a tC convertible, but an actual two-seater roadster. Add the iQ, and that's one hell of a line-up!
Old 06-11-09, 12:42 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
End of the Solara?

Perhaps it's time to bring back the MR2 Spyder...

In fact, I think Scion would be interesting if they offered a little roadster like the MR2. Not a tC convertible, but an actual two-seater roadster. Add the iQ, and that's one hell of a line-up!
word. that would be hot.

perhaps the new head of toyota is thinking the same with his go fast thinking.

bring back the celica too!

the supra would be nice but that's his call.

the solara could die in it's current state. I don't give a rats ***. I had it, I regret having driven it. you guys have no idea how un driveable it is.

a 1980 honda accord has more torque from 1,000-3,500 rpm than the v-6 solara . . .
Old 06-11-09, 01:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Two more years of this hideous car?

This should have been redesigned 2 years ago with the current gen Camry sedan. The Solara is based on the last gen Camry and I don't know why they've kept it going this long.
Old 06-11-09, 02:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

--TRD needs to offer OEM modifications for this. Damn, TRD does a hell of a lot with the Tundra and FJ Cruiser, but NOTHING with the Solara.
They did with plenty with the 1st gen. Remember the TRD S/C, exhaust, body kit, suspension parts, wheels and etc?

Quick Reply: Solara lives