Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Solara lives

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 02:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
bring back the celica too!

the supra would be nice but that's his call.
Toyota Celica = Scion tC. The Celica was discontinued right before the tC came into the market.

Toyota Supra = the "proverbial" and "true" Lexus IS coupe. Now, the IS convertible does not count. What would be appropriate would be an non-convertible lighter-weight coupe, which I do not see until the next generation IS beyond 2012. However, due to upcoming CAFE standards, I doubt that it would be profitable for Toyota to pull it off...

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Two more years of this hideous car?

This should have been redesigned 2 years ago with the current gen Camry sedan. The Solara is based on the last gen Camry and I don't know why they've kept it going this long.
See the second post.

There is a reason why the Solara has lived so far. But with changing economic and technological times, the Solara is outdated. And with the popularity of the modifiable Scion tC (and other smaller, lighter, cheaper coupes), I doubt that the Solara will be resurrected for a redesign. The age of the luxo-barge coupe seems to be a thing of the past now...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 06-11-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-12-09, 07:25 AM
LexFather

I guess people have to wait for the Toyota/Suburu coupe thing. I don't think Solara was bad but the exterior styling this time was just a big blah. Nothing wrong with a big comfy coupe. The styling was just wrong.

Old 06-12-09, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented a Solara 'vert for 3 days last year in LA, certainly the most mediocre Toyota that I had driven in a long time. But I dodged taking a Sebring and they were out of Mustangs.