Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

For the 600th time...Acura says they'll be Tier 1 by 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 06:20 PM
LexFather

Talking For the 600th time...Acura says they'll be Tier 1 by 2012

Update: Acura’s plans for its future lineup are ambitious and bold - two necessary qualities for a Japanese company seeking to enter the luxury car market and beat the Germans at their own game. To do so the carmaker has its sights set on a radical revamp of its current lineup as well as the addition of several all-new models. The final objective is to distance itself from Honda once and for all.

While the TSX, RL, and TL have been redesigned for 2009, Honda’s vice president for corporate planning in North America, Dan Bonawitz, admits that none of these cars are up to ‘tier’ 1 standards
. However, in a recent interview with Automotive News, Bonawitz boasted that the situation will change in 2010 when an “all-new vehicle about the same level as the TL” arrives.

The RL’s poor sales performance has led to speculation that it will be replaced before 2012, speculation which has been fueled by Bonawitz, who revealed that Acura has a “sedan coming that will clearly put [them] in tier 1″ before 2012.

The RL’s possible replacement may become the Acura that can intimidate the Germans, with a possible 400hp (298kW) 4.5L V8 engine and a RWD layout rumored to be among its list of specs. There’s also the chance that this new sedan will be sold alongside the RL as no final decision on the future of either model has been confirmed. Pictured above is the Acura Advanced Sedan Concept from 2006’s Los Angeles Auto Show, a striking design study for a flagship sedan.

Also rumored to be in the works is a new four-seater coupe as a possible replacement for the CL.

One model that is confirmed is the replacement for the NSX supercar. Seen testing recently at the Nurburgring, the new flagship model is expected to sport a 550hp (410kW) V10 engine with 420lb-ft (570Nm) of torque.

Finally, the RDX will come in for a redesign for the 2011 model year and could spawn a hybrid variant. This will be followed that same year by the next-generation MDX, which could be offered with a new V6 turbodiesel engine. A third SUV model could be added to Acura’s lineup as revealed by a new prototype caught testing recently in California’s Death Valley.

Original: Acura plans to add an all-new model to its lineup by 2010 to help expand its limited lineup and realign itself with ‘tier 1‘ luxury brands such as its more established German rivals. This won’t be the NSX-replacement seen recently testing in prototype form as the new supercar isn’t due to hit showrooms until after 2010.

One of Acura’s key criticisms is its lack of a full model line and powerful RWD vehicles. Speaking with Automotive News, Acura’s vice-president for corporate planning and logistics, Dan Bonawitz, confirmed there would be an all-new model released in 2010.

The new car is likely to fit into the smaller segments in a nod to current fuel concerns, and according to Bonawitz “there is potential for a coupe like the previous CL (pictured)” - despite that model being discontinued after the 2003 model year.

The CL replaced the Acura Legend Coupe when it ceased production in 1995, but since its departure from the lineup Acura hasn’t had a mid-size coupe in its stable. Currently, Acura only has five vehicles but the addition of a supercar such as the NSX-replacement and a smaller, stylish coupe could have the potential to boost the brand’s image to compete with the likes of BMW, Lexus and Mercedes.

Sales for Acura last month dropped more than 14.8% on levels from a year ago, however this is in line with current market trends.

Old 08-12-08, 06:25 PM
LexFather

They make it too easy for me. They continue to talk it but not walk it.

Acura=

Old 08-12-08, 06:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Why do I never see any other luxury manufacturer use that term "tier 1"?
Old 08-13-08, 08:49 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it's a bit too early, let see if they can deliver. I hope they can, it will all be good for us consumer.
Old 08-13-08, 08:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

Sounds like he's saying don't buy this gen and wait for the next one to get a Tier 1
Old 08-13-08, 11:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
While the TSX, RL, and TL have been redesigned for 2009, Honda’s vice president for corporate planning in North America, Dan Bonawitz, admits that none of these cars are up to ‘tier’ 1 standards[/B]. However, in a recent interview with Automotive News, Bonawitz boasted that the situation will change in 2010 when an “all-new vehicle about the same level as the TL” arrives.

The RL’s poor sales performance has led to speculation that it will be replaced before 2012, speculation which has been fueled by Bonawitz, who revealed that Acura has a “sedan coming that will clearly put [them] in tier 1″ before 2012.
I feel this must be quoted again. I think this thread should be saved and brought back in 2011/2012 when the next-gen RL arrives. The reason being that if the next-gen RL is a dissapointment, we will have undeniable proof that Acura is full of talk and spin, and that Honda senior management is clearly stubborn and ignorant of market demands.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Why do I never see any other luxury manufacturer use that term "tier 1"?
It's quite simple; other luxury makers are too busy focusing on product, while Acura likes to focus on press releases and making grand, bold statements that never seem to come to fruition.
Old 08-13-08, 12:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

acura will never be tier 1........ with this image burned into people's heads.
This thing gives people recurring nightmares.
looking at this car will give you post-traumatic stress disorder.
you will never see acura the same way

Old 08-13-08, 12:24 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Acura gets rid of cars every 2 years. I'm still lost which one is the Flagship the RL or the TL. The RDX is the small 4 banger turbo suv. Didn't they have a Rx or something similar that was based off the civic. I'm confused somebody please help.
Old 08-13-08, 12:39 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

RL is the flagship

You must meant the RSX which is no longer in their line up.

We will just have to see if they can walk the walk or just talk the talk.
Old 08-13-08, 12:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In one breath he says this new sedan will be "on the level of the TL" and then hints that it will take them to "tier one status"?

What ?
Old 08-13-08, 01:26 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

My problem with Acura is their car's just "look old" after 2 years. When the CL came out I liked the look of it but it quickly just blended into nothing. Same with the first TL, and the current TL as well. Look at the RL, it looked cool when it first came out (minus the V6 and FWD), but look at the interior now and it looks like a joke. I look at the 2nd Gen GS, LS430, most Audi's, and those are cars that just age well. Maybe Acura's styling is just too close to Honda, I don't know what it is, but they just do not seem to age well to me.
Old 08-13-08, 02:04 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Are you talking about the interior or exterior ?

Exterior wise, I do not see any car that looks good after a few year except exotic. Although I love the new Audi A5/S5 line.
Old 08-13-08, 02:28 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Old 08-13-08, 02:52 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
that's exactly what i thought.

that big grille looks like a row of teeth
Old 08-13-08, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's exactly what i thought.

that big grille looks like a row of teeth
I recall saying when this concept debuted in 2006 that Acura had lost their mind if this was going to influence their future design. It looks like a robot *****.

To the article, they need to be concerned about staying or becoming Tier II, and leave this Tier I crap alone. You don't become Tier I overnight with a car or two. It takes YEARS of not just minimal mistakes but top notch dealers/employees and a clear understanding of the luxury market, something they prove they do not understand.

How the hell do you go from this

to this????

Last edited by LexFather; 08-13-08 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: For the 600th time...Acura says they'll be Tier 1 by 2012