Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac rumored to be euthanizing STS and DTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 07:02 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

while some of you may not agree with me, the cts is no caddilac, i am not old enough to remeber, i do know that back in the day, if you drove a caddilac it could be seen from a mile away and if you pulled up to a 4 way stop, u got to move first, the cts is just a blur in a sea of cars, just like i think a gt continentall is not a real bentley a cts is not a real caddilac im sorry
Old 08-22-08, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
while some of you may not agree with me, the cts is no caddilac, i am not old enough to remeber, i do know that back in the day, if you drove a caddilac it could be seen from a mile away and if you pulled up to a 4 way stop, u got to move first, the cts is just a blur in a sea of cars, just like i think a gt continentall is not a real bentley a cts is not a real caddilac im sorry
Well, if THIS is what you are comparing a CTS to, I would agree with you.
I AM old enough to remember these....but just barely.

Old 08-22-08, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have to agree that some of the sutomakers have made some questionable moves over the years. But why on earth would BOTH GM and Ford be pulling these big sedans off of the market? It's due to falling sales and the fact that the average age of the buyers wasn't getting any younger. Which means future sales of these cars just won't be there, and they want to appeal to a younger buyer, in the hopes (right or wrong) of selling them more cars in the years to come. Unfortunately it's that way in a lot of businesses, not just cars.
Today's younger buyer is tomorrow's older buyer. And if you want to stay in buisness, you BETTER have some products for them when they get some gray hairs.

Check this out, right here in CAR CHAT:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=375034

And the argument that all the Grandpa/Grandma buyers are dying off is a bogus one and doesn't hold up. The LARGEST generation of car buyers in American History.....the post-WWII Baby Boomers........are starting to retire in force. Yes, by the millions. They are tomorrow's Grandpas/Grandmas, right around the corner. And a lot of them aren't going to want the CTS and Cadillac-V products. They're going to want............(you got it)..........DeVilles and Fleetwoods. At this rate, Cadillac won't have any more for them, and they will be buying USED ones instead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-08 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 07:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes the boomers are aging and going to be retiring by the millions. But, and it's a big but, they grew up appreciating and wanting different things in their cars than the previous generation. Most of them don't aspire to a humongous Caddy or Lincoln. Their definition of a luxury car is different. It's not necessarily right or wrong but IMO that's the way it is.
Old 08-22-08, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes the boomers are aging and going to be retiring by the millions. But, and it's a big but, they grew up appreciating and wanting different things in their cars than the previous generation. Most of them don't aspire to a humongous Caddy or Lincoln. Their definition of a luxury car is different. It's not necessarily right or wrong but IMO that's the way it is.
OK. We'll see.
Old 08-22-08, 09:26 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i gotta say, i'm with mmarshall 100% on this one ... and i'm 23.

yea the boomers grew up with different stuff (not just car wise) but when it comes rite down to it, comfy is nice, and when you're old, you want nice

furthermore ... CTS is too a real caddy ... it's called evolution
Old 08-22-08, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester

yea the boomers grew up with different stuff (not just car wise) but when it comes rite down to it, comfy is nice, and when you're old, you want nice
Thanks, Faymester. You don't have to be old to like automotive comfort either. Though I grew up with Detroit's muscle cars in the 60's (and, yes, liked them too....what young person didn't?), I also liked luxury cars like the Olds 98, Cadillac DeVille, Buick Electra, Chrysler New Yorker, Imperial, etc......that you could RELAX in too, when you were tired.

Compared to a DeVille/DTS, though, the CTS is more like THIS Evolution.

Old 08-22-08, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Well a couple things. Caddy/Lincoln put minimal investment in the TownCar and DTS. Its not like they had class leading anything outside the cushy ride.

While people knock Lexus for a cushy ride, that is what TONS of people want and while LExus has gotten somewhat sportier, the RX/ES/LS/GX/LX show people want comfy cars in droves.

Most BMWs/Benzs are not sport models but regular models.

I am Mike BIG TIME here, there is a HUGE opportunity that will be missed as this population will BALLOON the next 10 years and they will have no old school cushy cars to buy.

The LS will make a killing lol

Old 08-23-08, 02:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that some of it is simply memories from years past (I have some of those memories myself). But it is not just nostalgia at work with the older people. The soft seats, suspensions, and tires on Cadillacs, Buicks, and Lincolns that used to be the case were also better for the weak backs, necks, spines, and arthritis that afflict many old people. Hit a pothole in an old Cadillac Brougham and then hit the same one in a new Cadillac CTS-V, and you will see what I mean. The large bodies and frames also provided more protection in accidents....and old people knew it.
While the SOLIDNESS of the old battleships isn't to be denied, they're not coming back. Yes, the seats were comfy but they actually weren't as practical for older folks as the newer, HIGHER SEATING CUVs, SUVs, and even raised sedans like the new Ford Taurus (which is a pretty big car with a cavernous trunk).

In some ways the SRX replaces the DTS... maybe Cadillac will emphasize that more.
Old 08-23-08, 02:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd93
Times change! A BMW 3 series today is as big as a 5 series in the past.

A BMW X6 probably has some older BMW fans groaning a lot too.
Old 08-23-08, 02:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester

And the 'greatest generation' (WWII vets) are dying off fast so Cadillac had to do more to appeal to the next generation (and the one after that).

And they're doing it. If as the thread was about (it was? ) Cadillac is thinking of getting rid of STS and DTS, I wouldn't be surprised, things have changed in the market dramatically.
Old 08-23-08, 02:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I grew up with Detroit's muscle cars in the 60's (and, yes, liked them too....what young person didn't?), I also liked luxury cars like the Olds 98, Cadillac DeVille, Buick Electra, Chrysler New Yorker, Imperial, etc......that you could RELAX in too, when you were tired.
Quick side story... One of the first business trips I took to the U.S. in the 80s when I was living in Canada was to Dallas and I went to the rental counter and they gave me the keys to an Olds Delta 88. That thing had more float than the Queen Mary, but the powerful V8 with immediate torque, the 'global cooling' AC and the acres of velour inside had me in hysterics driving it around (I was about 21). I knew immediately why people liked these cars so much!

Then I moved to Dallas and bought a Honda Prelude cuz I didn't want to feel like I was parking or driving the Queen Mary!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-23-08 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-23-08, 06:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

And the 'greatest generation' (WWII vets) are dying off fast so Cadillac had to do more to appeal to the next generation (and the one after that).

And they're doing it. If as the thread was about (it was? ) Cadillac is thinking of getting rid of STS and DTS, I wouldn't be surprised, things have changed in the market dramatically.
Well maybe we should start a poll here our of curiosity. I find the new Caddy's to be improvements but they still don't appeal to me where I would seriously consider buying one outside of the "buy American" factor.

Old 08-23-08, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Well maybe we should start a poll here our of curiosity. I find the new Caddy's to be improvements but they still don't appeal to me where I would seriously consider buying one outside of the "buy American" factor.

And the CTS, nice as it is for a mid-sized sport/luxuy sedan, isn't really that "American" to start with. Like many new GM cars, it loosely (as I understand it) comes from a GM world-platform that was primarily done by Opel, GM's German arm. Versions of that platform are shared with Saab and other GM divisions. Much of the CTS's testing, especially the CTS-V version, was done on Germany's famous Nurburgring race track. In fact, I believe it recently set a new lap record there recently for its class.

However (also as I understand it), the new CTS is NOT as much of an Opel-clone as the first Cadillac Catera was 10 years ago.
Old 08-23-08, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I think CTS is a better option for me than an IS, ES, or GS.

Real back seat vs. IS
RWD vs. ES
Doesn't have a cassette player vs. GS

Quick Reply: Cadillac rumored to be euthanizing STS and DTS