Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac rumored to be euthanizing STS and DTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Post Cadillac rumored to be euthanizing STS and DTS

Cadillac’s STS and DTS, nameplates which date back more than 30 and 60 years, respectively, both have cloudy futures. General Motors’ Hamtramck, Mich., factory that builds the DTS (which prior to 2005 was known simply as DeVille) is scheduled to switch over to Chevrolet Volt production in 2010. The STS (formerly known as Seville) is built at Cadillac’s Lansing, Mich., factory, which is expected to ramp up production of more hot-selling CTS variants.

Speaking to Bloomberg, auto consulting firm Planning Edge’s Alan Baum suggested that “people still want Cadillacs [but] they want a very different car.”

With a coupe version of the CTS on the way and expected emphasis on more fuel efficient Escalades (which are built in Arlington, Texas, and Mexico), GM is remaining mum on rumors that the STS and DTS would be replaced with one model - potentially a smaller, more efficient car that would also replace the BLS sold globally below the CTS. Sales of the STS and DTS are down 24.7 and 13.9 percent, respectively, from 2007 year-to-date levels.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac...o-pasture.html

Old 08-12-08, 06:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The axed the DTS a long time ago. Im surprised that its still in production.
Old 08-12-08, 08:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the CTS ought to stay where it's at, axe the DTS and creat the next gen STS as an LS/S fighter, then slate an entry level model below the CTS.
Old 08-12-08, 09:49 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Cadillac should have axed them a long time ago...The DeVillle was nice but no way near the LS...
Old 08-12-08, 10:11 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

there is not room for both the STS and DTS especially when you have an outstanding CTS...Kill the STS and keep the DTS with a v6 and RWD and you have a winner with the old folks.
Old 08-12-08, 10:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pagemaster
there is not room for both the STS and DTS especially when you have an outstanding CTS...Kill the STS and keep the DTS with a v6 and RWD and you have a winner with the old folks.
The DTS is front wheel drive.
Old 08-12-08, 10:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The DTS is front wheel drive.
ok move the DTS to RWD
Old 08-12-08, 10:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Old folks love the DTS because there's no rear wheel drive 'tunnel' and the trunk on that car is HUGE and great for golf bags, shopping, etc. They like the front bench seat and the acres of space in it...

But yes, their target market is literally dying off...

I think many went and got the Cadillac SRX CUV instead nowadays...

Time for a new plan...
Old 08-12-08, 10:55 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Time for a new plan...
Right...move it to rear wheel drive and you can spin off a sports sedan type and an old folks mover.....the olk folks still drive the Grand Marq and Ford Crown Vic and will never notice the hump

there's no rear wheel drive 'tunnel'
Before the mid 1990s devilles and fleetwoods were RWD if I am correct.
Old 08-13-08, 05:03 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I guess i am the only one who liked the sts and dts haha, except they should have just kept the name the deville, more classy
Old 08-13-08, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
their target market is literally dying off...
Yes.........but look at the HUGE Baby-Boom generation that will soon replace them, and reach retirement age. You're talking with one of them right now.

Time for a new plan...
Yep......bring back the Fleetwood. It never should have been dropped.

The best course for Cadillac, IMO, is to market a couple of sport-oriented, BMW-type products like the CTS, while also having a big, heavy, cushy-riding boat for the people who want them, and who are currently being ignored. However, the new CAFE laws that will soon go into effect (foolishly passed and signed, IMO) may prevent the re-emergence of big V8-powered sedans, no matter what the market may want or not want.

And, I'll admit, when the Fleetwood WAS in production, its assembly quality and fit/finish, like its sisters Caprice/Roadmaster, was a joke.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-08 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 06:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

1. I do think there are still buyers out there for FWD Cadillacs.

2. I think the CAFE standards present a challenge to automakers and a damn good one. I don't see why Cadillac couldn't offer a potent 4.0L V8 with fuel saving features like direct injection, a 6 speed auto, cylinder deactivation. I think it is possible to have your cake and eat it too.
Old 08-13-08, 07:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The STS is a beautiful machine. Looks great in white with the chrome wheels too. The STS-V will be a great buy in the used car market.. I believe the STS will be back meaner and greener (*cough* Vette LS9 motor) to compete with M5, RS6, E63 AMG, Jaguar R..

I like the numbers at present..
2009 Cadillac STS-V Summary

The 2009 STS-V is a 4-door, 5-passenger luxury sports sedan, available in one trim only, the Base.

Upon introduction, the STS-V is equipped with a standard 4.4-liter, V8, 469-horsepower, supercharged engine that achieves 13-mpg in the city and 19-mpg on the highway. A 6-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is standard.
Old 08-13-08, 10:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes.........but look at the HUGE Baby-Boom generation that will soon replace them, and reach retirement age. You're talking with one of them right now.
I'm in the same gen, just.

Yep......bring back the Fleetwood. It never should have been dropped.
I hear ya but I disagree because old boats like that STILL have a very low 'sit down' height, and older folks with creaky knees and hips have a very hard time getting in and out.

I believe a CUV/SUV/tall wagon is a much better option.
Old 08-13-08, 04:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Am i the only one who doesn't want just sporty rides? i really like cushy rides, i feel alone everyone my age likes little civics with beer cans exhaust

Quick Reply: Cadillac rumored to be euthanizing STS and DTS