Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Tundra base engine 4.6 v8...good bye FJ..Avalon gets a redesign

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 07:58 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Tundra base engine 4.6 v8...good bye FJ..Avalon gets a redesign

Here is from refreshing news that Toyota is still on track

New 4runner
Avalon sticks around
Tundra to have a base 4.6 v8
Bye Bye FJ Cruiser

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10015459-48.html

Tacoma: No major changes are planned. A redesign is scheduled for the 2013 model year, pushed out to an eight-year cycle. Don't expect a change to unibody, as too many Tacoma pickup owners actually use them for hard work.

Tundra: The cratering of the full-sized segment means the heavy-duty diesel version is on hold. For the 2010 model year, the base V-8 will shrink from the old 4.7-liter V-8 to a new 4.6-liter V-8 that has 30 more horsepower and about two mpg better fuel economy.

FJ Cruiser: The swooning body-on-frame SUV segment means there isn't room for the FJ and the 4Runner, so the FJ is one-and-done
Old 08-13-08, 08:15 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Aww man I liked the FJ
Old 08-13-08, 08:53 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think adding a 4 cylinder back into the Highlander would be perfect for it, it will help push sales. A new 4Runner is coming, does that mean there's still hope for a new GX 470? Hope so!. I'd like to see how the new Sienna will be, I love how when minivans get redesign some kind of new thing is implemented everytime. The sports coupe idea seems interesting bit 2012 that is a long time from now. Too bad for the FJ I happen to like that car.
Old 08-13-08, 09:03 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'm not sure if a 4 cylinder is appropriate fot the Highlander as it has grown. However, Toyota has powerful enough 2.5L (as seen in the IS250) that I feel is under utilized. They rely too much on the 3.5L which is a fine engine, I just think that a base Sienna, Highlander, and perhaps even a 2.5L Camry with be acceptable.

I also believe that a 6 cylinder base engine for a vehicle like the Tundra would do as well as for the GX, Landcruiser, Sequioa, etc. How many people honestly buy these vehicles for towing?
Old 08-13-08, 11:47 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The original article is from Automotive News, and this is their usual prediction sort of article that comes around every year. Never take these articles too seriously, especially when they contain such silly mistakes as:

But, the interior upgrades buyers asked for were too expensive for the project, so it may still have a cost-down appearance inside. As exterior design goes, it's the same basic shape with crisper lines. There will be no mistaking it for anything but a Prius.
I'm calling total BS on this. Toyota has dramatically reduced both the size and cost of the hybrid system on the third-gen Prius, so they would have much more flexibility cost-wise in terms of upgrading interior materials.

The second Toyota-badged, hybrid-only vehicle that President Katsuaki Watanabe promised at the 2008 Detroit auto show was something of an overstatement. That vehicle will be for Japan only.
Once again, I call BS. WHY would Toyota show a brand new vehicle at the Detroit autoshow that is destined for Japan ONLY? It would be completely silly and I very highly doubt Toyota will do that.

Sports coupe: The joint venture vehicle with Subaru is envisioned to be a rear-drive model for Toyota and possibly an all-wheel-drive vehicle for Subaru. If it comes, the soonest will be the 2012 model year.

There will be Toyota-specific sheet metal in the front and rear quarters, but the roofline is the same. Subaru will source the engine and basic platform. The two automakers are said to be fighting over interior components and cost.

Supra: The two-passenger sports car has been dropped from Toyota's production plans, a victim of high miles per gallon requirements in the United States and a slowing global economy.
The "two-passenger sports car" from Toyota IS the Subaru-Toyota coupe! On top of that, Automotive News has no idea what the all-new hybrid-only model will be. Rumors are strongly hinting at a production version of the FT-HS, which WOULD be a spiritual successor to the Supra. Even if that is not the case, the Subaru-Toyota coupe is coming.

The base engine will be a bored-out, 2.7-liter version of the Camry's 2.4-liter inline-four. Both engines will drive a six-speed automatic transmission.
Completely wrong . The 2.7L 1AR-FE engine is NOT a bored out version of the 2.4L 2AZ-FE.

Tundra: The cratering of the full-sized segment means the heavy-duty diesel version is on hold. For the 2010 model year, the base V-8 will shrink from the old 4.7-liter V-8 to a new 4.6-liter V-8 that has 30 more horsepower and about two mpg better fuel economy.
They failed to mention the light-duty diesel engine that both the Tundra and Sequoia will recieve in the next 1-2 years. CEO Watanabe himself made that announcement months ago.

Lastly, no mention is made of the Camry refresh specifics, like the new 4 cyl engine, or the rumored 6-speed + 4 cyl combo and interior upgrades.
Old 08-13-08, 11:55 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I also believe that a 6 cylinder base engine for a vehicle like the Tundra would do as well as for the GX, Landcruiser, Sequioa, etc. How many people honestly buy these vehicles for towing?
The Tundra does offer a V6, 4.0 with 236hp/266Tq, don't think I've ever seen one the dealers around here only offer the 5.7 with a couple 4.7, the I-Force badges of the 2 engines look almost identical so they all pretty much look like 5.7
Old 08-13-08, 12:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ah so it is. The 4.0L is an aging engine. It certainly isn't winning any fuel economy awards.

4X2 4.0L 15/19
4X2 4.7L 14/17
4X2 5.7L 14/18
Old 08-13-08, 05:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

there goes one of the few toyotas made today that has some real personality
Old 08-13-08, 05:37 PM
LexFather

I never got the FJ crusier......

Old 08-13-08, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm sorry to see the FJ go, too...........like jmd93 noted, it DID have personality. But the 4Runner, which is built on the same platform, consistantly outsold it by a large margin, at least in my area.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-08 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 06:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

too bad about the FJ...i liked those too.
Old 08-13-08, 07:07 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmd93
there goes one of the few toyotas made today that has some real personality
QFT

It seemed like they were selling pretty well too, I see them everywhere
Old 08-13-08, 07:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i say buy em now cause i think those will be rare cars in a few years when people look back on em, just like 99-00 sc400, these will most likely be a ***** to find
Old 08-13-08, 10:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Major BS!

I dont believe the FJ will be gone. FJ is Toyota's cash cow. There's no way they are killing it.

What does CNET know about car?
Old 08-13-08, 10:07 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I'm calling total BS on this. Toyota has dramatically reduced both the size and cost of the hybrid system on the third-gen Prius, so they would have much more flexibility cost-wise in terms of upgrading interior materials
I think you are wrong on calling it BS. Any upscale hybrid will likely be the dedicated Lexus model.

Quick Reply: 2010 Tundra base engine 4.6 v8...good bye FJ..Avalon gets a redesign