Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM adds fuel economy package for large trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08 | 03:16 PM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by carguy101
Lol, I bet if Toyota came up with this, the usual suspects would be lauding it as another example of how great Toyota is, how much Toyota cares about the environment, yada yada yada.

FYI, a 1 mpg improvement in a 17 mpg vehicle is a 6% efficiency gain, which is pretty significant.

Of course, when Lexus does something to improve fuel economy by 6% (i.e., going from a 6 speed to an 8 speed), people say it's the greatest thing.
If Toyota came out with a 1MPG gain but if it was a thousand dollar trim level, we will be bashing it too

If GM just made these changes and not make it an XFE model, it would have been praised if it stayed the same price
Old 08-13-08 | 03:26 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
If Toyota came out with a 1MPG gain but if it was a thousand dollar trim level, we will be bashing it too

If GM just made these changes and not make it an XFE model, it would have been praised if it stayed the same price

+1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 08-13-08 | 04:57 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Hm, I don't remember anyone bashing Toyota for increasing mpg by 1 with the 8 speed auto (vs the 6 speed), and increasing price by a commensurate amount?

I hope people are not naive enough to think that increase in transmission gears is "free".
Old 08-13-08 | 05:32 PM
ST430
Pole Position

double post...
Old 08-13-08 | 05:33 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Hm, I don't remember anyone bashing Toyota for increasing mpg by 1 with the 8 speed auto (vs the 6 speed), and increasing price by a commensurate amount?

I hope people are not naive enough to think that increase in transmission gears is "free".
are you citing complete powertrain changes from the old 4.3L to 4.6L (hence the 6-speed to 8speed)? That's not a one off "badge" model and had increased significant power to boot, with minor mpg increase.
Old 08-14-08 | 07:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If Toyota added silly things like longer gear ratios and low rolling resistance tires just for a quick fix for fuel economy, then we would be bashing it too.

Low rolling resistance tires might make sense on a vehicle like the Prius, but even there I question Toyota's use of those tires, as that makes the Prius difficult to drive in winter.

What GM is doing *IS* silly. Adding a new package, charging extra for it, and you in fact end up getting very little for your money. The 6-speed transmission is definitely nice, as are lighter wheels, but nothing else in the XFE package is really worth the money. A non-adaptive lowered suspension on a full-size SUV is silly, especially when it only provides a very small, incremental fuel economy improvement. As I pointed out earlier, low rolling resistance tires are dangerous on a vehicle like an SUV.

Really, what GM is doing here is simply charging extra for that 6-speed transmission. Let's compare to Toyota. For about 1K more, on the Tundra Toyota offers the 5.7L engine AND a 6-speed transmission.

GM's "XFE" package for it's SUVs, and especially for the Chevy Cobalt are primarily marketing gimmicks. Yes, you do get increased fuel economy at a cost, but in the Cobalt's case performance is compromised, as is safety with tires that offer less grip. At the very least with the SUVs they are offering a 6-speed auto.

I remember though that GM stated they would simply revamp all 4-speed equipped vehicles with 6-speed trannies. For the SUVs, GM has now wrapped up that 6-speed in a separate package, which you have to pay extra for.
Old 08-14-08 | 07:53 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
btw - weren't you thinking of a Cobalt purchase a while back?
Yep... they have great fuel economy and even in this market where everybody and their mother is jumping ship to small cars I can still get one brand new for 9k! Also the Cobalt replacement might be out by then and if so its fuel economy is going to be off the charts good with that 1.4L turbo... somewhere in the mid to low 40s, IIRC... and a nice interior to boot.

I really just want a car I can daily drive and not care about if it gets a dent or scratch or something isn't quite perfect with the way it performs, etc...

Then eventually use the cash saved to buy a weekend driver car.
Old 08-14-08 | 09:21 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Oh I wouldn't do a 1.4L turbo. A supercharger would be better. Lower octane.
Old 08-14-08 | 11:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Oh I wouldn't do a 1.4L turbo. A supercharger would be better. Lower octane.
The 1.4L turbo will use regular 87 octane. In my experience it's actually easier to run a turbo on regular than it is a supercharger since with a supercharger the computer has no way to regular boost pressure... strictly pulley driven and based on RPM.
Old 08-14-08 | 04:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If Toyota added silly things like longer gear ratios and low rolling resistance tires just for a quick fix for fuel economy, then we would be bashing it too.

Low rolling resistance tires might make sense on a vehicle like the Prius, but even there I question Toyota's use of those tires, as that makes the Prius difficult to drive in winter.

What GM is doing *IS* silly. Adding a new package, charging extra for it, and you in fact end up getting very little for your money. The 6-speed transmission is definitely nice, as are lighter wheels, but nothing else in the XFE package is really worth the money. A non-adaptive lowered suspension on a full-size SUV is silly, especially when it only provides a very small, incremental fuel economy improvement. As I pointed out earlier, low rolling resistance tires are dangerous on a vehicle like an SUV.

Really, what GM is doing here is simply charging extra for that 6-speed transmission. Let's compare to Toyota. For about 1K more, on the Tundra Toyota offers the 5.7L engine AND a 6-speed transmission.

GM's "XFE" package for it's SUVs, and especially for the Chevy Cobalt are primarily marketing gimmicks. Yes, you do get increased fuel economy at a cost, but in the Cobalt's case performance is compromised, as is safety with tires that offer less grip. At the very least with the SUVs they are offering a 6-speed auto.

I remember though that GM stated they would simply revamp all 4-speed equipped vehicles with 6-speed trannies. For the SUVs, GM has now wrapped up that 6-speed in a separate package, which you have to pay extra for.
yep... thats just silly - make gear ratios larger so you can claim better mpg.

VW does that in Europe and got bashed for it since in real life, you end up driving in lower gear and in test reports real mpg is unchanged...
Old 08-14-08 | 04:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

I rather them do something about it now while they can, instead of waiting 6 more years to completely redesign the vehicle. Any mpg improvement is okay with me IMO. I however do not agree with the way they are going about it. This should be something included in every new vehicle. Not some extra package that you have the option to purchase.

And I doubt GM is marketing it heavily. I had no clue about the XFE Cobalt until someone mentioned it here.
Old 08-14-08 | 04:21 PM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

What trim would that be? Because the only 8 speed cars are brand new cars, not a new trim level for an existing car.