Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM adds fuel economy package for large trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 08:30 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default GM adds fuel economy package for large trucks

GM adds fuel economy package for large trucks

General Motors is tweaking some of its full-size pickups and sport-utility vehicles, using lighter materials and sleeker aerodynamics in an effort to bolster their fuel economy.

The Chevrolet Silverado and Tahoe and the GMC Sierra and Yukon are being packaged with the refinements. They get special badging, XFE, which stands for Xtra Fuel Economy. The upgrades allow the vehicles to eek out an extra mile per gallon in fuel ratings--they now get 15 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway.

The XFE package also includes six-speed automatic transmissions, which are an optional upgrade on other models from the four-speed gearboxes. The transmission change increases towing capacity to 7,000 pounds in the Silverado and Sierra pickups, though the SUVs' tow ratings remain unchanged.

Other improvements include a lowered suspension, specially-tuned chassis, low-rolling-resistance tires and lighter-weight aluminum wheels.

Production of the vehicles, which are 2009 models, begins this fall.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...198240831/1065
Old 08-13-08, 08:46 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that is only good for 1 MPG. How much extra does that cost?
Old 08-13-08, 09:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
All that is only good for 1 MPG. How much extra does that cost?
Why did they even bother?
Old 08-13-08, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Are you two twins?
Old 08-13-08, 11:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

GM is resorting to quick fixes, rather than substantial improvements for fuel economy. Low rolling resistance tires are a quick fix to slightly improve fuel economy on any vehicle, but low rolling resistance tires also offer less grip and performance than regular tires. On a large truck or SUV, low rolling resistance tires are dangerous, especially in bad weather.
Old 08-13-08, 11:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
GM is resorting to quick fixes, rather than substantial improvements for fuel economy.
I feel like its more trickery than anything....put a big XKE badge on it, claiming "Xtra Fuel Economy" and some people will buy it.

I wonder how much $$ GM wasted developing this "XFE" angle?

I heard the Cobalt XFE is out there as well...but with a more significiant MPG improvement.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-13-08 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 11:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

not threadjacking but....here's the cobalt XFE info...

edit-- article originally said 36mpg hiway - but fueleconomy.gov shows 37mpg

this is back from March tho....

The Chevrolet Cobalt Marketing Team is excited to announce a significant fuel economy improvement on the 2008 Cobalt. Any LS or 1LT Cobalt Coupe or Sedan model ordered with manual transmissions will get 37 miles per gallon on the highway. This three mile per gallon improvement now gives Cobalt the best in class manual transmission highway fuel economy.

To make these Cobalt models stand out a new badge has been added to the right side of the trunk lid labeled "XFE" (Xtra Fuel Economy).

Quick Answers Regarding Cobalt XFE

How do I order a Cobalt that gets 37 miles per gallon on the highway?
-Effective immediately, any LS or 1LT model coupe or sedan ordered with a manual transmission will get 36 miles per gallon highway.

With 37 MPG what competitors does this Cobalt beat in highway fuel economy? Just a few are:
-2008 Toyota Yaris 36 MPG
-2008 Honda Civic 34 MPG
-2008 Ford Focus 35 MPG
-2009 Toyota Corolla 35 MPG
-2008 Mini Cooper S 34 MPG
-2008 Mazda3 32 MPG
-2008 Dodge Caliber 29 MPG
-2008 Honda Fit 34 MPG
-2008 Toyota Matrix 33 MPG
-2008 Nissan Sentra 33 MPG
-2008 Nissan Versa 33 MPG

Is there a special badge?
-Yes, there is all new XFE badge located on the right side of the trunk deck lid.

Is the Cobalt window sticker revised to reflect 37 MPG?
-Yes, starting with production on March 17, 2008 and after, LS & 1LT models with manual transmission will have a widow sticker that reads 37 MPG.

What does XFE stand for?
-Xtra Fuel Economy.

How did this improvement in fuel economy happen?
-Engine calibration, improved tires and a few other special items we don't want the competitors to know about..

Does this improved fuel economy apply to both Coupe & Sedan LS and 1LT manual transmission models?
-Yes.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-13-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 01:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cobalt XFE does offer impressive fuel economy.

As for the XFE full sized trucks and SUVs... I dunno. If it's a free option, like an either you get it or you don't type thing then it's a nice thought. I mean a 5-7% increase in fuel economy is nothing to sneeze at.

I mean for the typical driver that'd save over 60 gallons of fuel per year.

Again, if it's a free option then in 4 years time you'd save $1000 in fuel costs.

To anyone complaining about GM not doing enough... stop being so narrow minded. No auto manufacturer can react in just a few months' time with anything significant. This tweaked XFE package is about as much as any auto manufacturer would be able to do. GM has shifted all sorts of production and design resources accordingly based on this trend, but expecting anything more out of them in reactionary terms only means you don't understand how long things take from planning to implementation in the auto industry as a whole.

Should GM have had more foresite coming into this 'era'? Absolutely. Huge mistake there on their part. But if you're keeping score from 'gas price boom' on forward, GM is making all the right moves.
Old 08-13-08, 01:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Should GM have had more foresite coming into this 'era'? Absolutely. Huge mistake there on their part. But if you're keeping score from 'gas price boom' on forward, GM is making all the right moves.
I dunno, the $40,000+ (Lutz has been quoted saying $48K!!!) 40 mile range VOLT seems a bit over-priced to be a success, but we'll see.
Old 08-13-08, 01:53 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I dunno, the $40,000+ (Lutz has been quoted saying $48K!!!) 40 mile range VOLT seems a bit over-priced to be a success, but we'll see.
At 40k it'll be hard to make a real cost case for it but it may still be popular as a trend item... we'll see. Either way it'll be a nice halo piece for GM to be perceived as a more green company than it currently is.

I expect it'll also be the first car in a very long time that will actually drop in price after its initial release and after the price of batteries goes down.

Cars like the volt are the future IMO... the Volt may just come in 3-4 years ahead of its time.
Old 08-13-08, 01:58 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
At 40k it'll be hard to make a real cost case for it but it may still be popular as a trend item... we'll see. Either way it'll be a nice halo piece for GM to be perceived as a more green company than it currently is.

I expect it'll also be the first car in a very long time that will actually drop in price after its initial release and after the price of batteries goes down.

Cars like the volt are the future IMO... the Volt may just come in 3-4 years ahead of its time.
all true.

btw - weren't you thinking of a Cobalt purchase a while back?
Old 08-13-08, 02:03 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

If GM would take the millions they are spending on advertising during the Olympics and use it to invest in design and advanced material, it would be a nice start. :X
Old 08-13-08, 02:35 PM
LexFather

lol at 1MPG gain. The thing is, we bash these things but some V-6s aint much if any better.

Old 08-13-08, 03:08 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Lol, I bet if Toyota came up with this, the usual suspects would be lauding it as another example of how great Toyota is, how much Toyota cares about the environment, yada yada yada.

FYI, a 1 mpg improvement in a 17 mpg vehicle is a 6% efficiency gain, which is pretty significant.

Of course, when Lexus does something to improve fuel economy by 6% (i.e., going from a 6 speed to an 8 speed), people say it's the greatest thing.
Old 08-13-08, 03:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carguy101
Lol, I bet if Toyota came up with this, the usual suspects would be lauding it as another example of how great Toyota is, how much Toyota cares about the environment, yada yada yada.

FYI, a 1 mpg improvement in a 17 mpg vehicle is a 6% efficiency gain, which is pretty significant.

Of course, when Lexus does something to improve fuel economy by 6% (i.e., going from a 6 speed to an 8 speed), people say it's the greatest thing.

I think its good but to advertise it as a "package"?

Oh fyi, Toyota/Lexus are already some of best fuel economy cars in any class.

Quick Reply: GM adds fuel economy package for large trucks