Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Renderings of 2010 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 09:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Renderings of 2010 Audi A8

The current Audi A8 has been on sale since 2003 and since that time has only received a minor facelift to keep it fresh alongside the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Lexus LS and soon-to-be superseded BMW 7-series. The minor styling changes implemented during the recent facelift will have to soldier on for a few more years as the next-generation ‘D4’ A8 isn’t expected to arrive until 2010.

A prototype for the car has already been spotted undergoing cold weather testing, hidden beneath the current D3 body. Tell-tale signs that the prototype was the next-generation model included the extended fender flares, stretched wheelbase and wider track.

Under the new sheet metal will be an extended version of the modular platform used in the A4, but expect to see more exotic materials such as aluminum and magnesium employed to help save weight and improve dynamics. The engine lineup will likely mirror the current range, starting with a 2.8L petrol V6 and topping out 4.2L V8 FSI and possibly the carmaker’s new 6.0L V12 TDI. There will also be more supercharged units as well as increased application of Audi’s latest valve-lift system. The 6.0L W12 engine is reportedly being phased out due to its high costs and emissions.

The base model will remain FWD but AWD variants will feature the latest quattro torque vectoring systems, which distribute drive individually between each axle and between the rear wheels for improved traction and stability.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...ration-audi-a8
Old 08-14-08, 10:11 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh damn, it's alot sleeker.....I like
Old 08-14-08, 10:32 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how uninspired. its just a supersized a6. which is just a supersized a4. which is just a supersized a3.
Old 08-14-08, 11:02 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just what I dislike about the Audi sedans. They are all the same design, just different sizes.

They should use some imagination and give each model a different look.
Old 08-14-08, 11:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its the same thing with mercedes . Lexus IS and GS look very similar in shape. I like the new audi, and I like the direction they are going. They are aggerssively trying to take younger customers from other brands
Old 08-14-08, 11:51 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Needs bigger headlights... I thought it was an A6 or an A4
Old 08-15-08, 12:24 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish this car came with a new buyer's driving test. Some of these A8s when the owner backs them out of a spot I always see very close calls, car is too dam long!
Old 08-15-08, 12:43 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

ok ... so its the big size ... thats nice
Old 08-15-08, 12:46 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Not sure why they keep using Schulte design renderings. His renderings are 100% of the time WRONG.
Old 08-15-08, 04:51 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I'm not sure how people can say they don't like it when this is just one person's guess of what the car might look like. I'll wait until at least a real spy photo is released to comment.
Old 08-15-08, 04:56 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by theanimala
I'm not sure how people can say they don't like it when this is just one person's guess of what the car might look like. I'll wait until at least a real spy photo is released to comment.
well if you notice a trend with the other models, its not too far off.
Old 08-15-08, 12:35 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Not everyone goes for "look at me" style in cars. I can say the Audis might have been a little too bland but the redesigns look fine to me. I have had trouble with distinguishing an A8 from an A6 but thank goodness Lexus put the exhaust tips on the LS in the body pan because I still can't tell which model it is from the other directions. Audi is doing a good job on the A3, 4, and 6 but they need to get the quality up on the A8. At the least their interiors are just different than Lexus but competitive in all other respects, at the best they are the best interiors out there IMO.

I want to see this thing in the flesh, uh steel, uh aluminum, forget it, for real as well. That crease running the length of the car just above the door handles looks a little like the crease on the new 7 but it looks better on the Audi. Maybe it is just more needed on the Audi. I hope they get into the powertrains like they have on the A6 for that 15% across the range mileage increase. Man, just when I thought a pretty boring time was coming up for cars, it gets more interesting. At least if you are looking at something other than Lexus.
Old 08-15-08, 12:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

best looking euro cars
Old 08-15-08, 06:56 PM
Koma

I agree with you RON430 best looking interiors in the luxury market.
The designs are a little too similar between models but still are sexy. A true enthusiast can tell the difference.
Old 08-15-08, 07:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The base model will remain FWD but AWD variants will feature the latest quattro torque vectoring systems...
Of course they are talking about the European models, but this seems soooooooooo awkward to see such a big sedan in this class FWD. It seems so wrong.

Quick Reply: Renderings of 2010 Audi A8