Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 10:57 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Hyundai Equus

Earlier this week, we mentioned Hyundai has been secretly developing its most powerful and luxurious sedan, code-named VI, that is about to replace its nine-years-old flagship Equus model. Large number of reports and spy shots that you could have seen at the blog lately, indicated that the Equus successor is entering the final stage of testing and it won’t take long before Hyundai shows it to the public for the first time.

It was speculated that Hyundai plans to bring this model to Korean market sometime early in the next year. We can now confirm that the world premiere is scheduled for February 2009. In addition to the timing of release, we can also show you this exclusive preview of the all new Equus super luxury sedan.

When Equus goes on sale, it will first be available with 5,0L Tau engine, producing between 400 and 420 horsepower. But this will not be the only engine offering that Equus gets. It will also be available with larger V8 engine (5,5L), as well as smaller 4,6L engine, and they will both benefit from cylinder deactivation and a possible integrated supercharger. Reportedly, its top speed will be limited to 250km/h. At the end, we should not forget to mention Equus grew in size and now stands at 5160mm of length, 1900mm of width and has a wheelbase of 3045mm.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.ph...t-teaser-shot/

The Equus is Hyundai's competitor against the S class, 7 series, and LS. I doubt it'll be sold in the US though.
Old 08-18-08, 01:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely a good glimpse into how this company is run, just like some of the other articles here about their corporate culture. As has been discussed here at length, they have had trouble moving anything more expensive than a Sonata (VeraCruz and Azera) yet they roll right out with a $40K+ Genesis, and plan to follow that with probably a $58K+ sedan.

Any self respecting and rational company would have let a generation of Genesis go by before they even remotely thought about going further upscale. Evidently, the Koreans think that brand image and prestige is created and cultivated with the snap of a finger. If Infiniti and Acura can't sell anything bigger than a midsize sedan, I can assure everyone here that Hyundai can't either. The Genesis is even pushing it.

Even the American companies aren't this stupid.
Old 08-18-08, 01:43 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Definitely a good glimpse into how this company is run, just like some of the other articles here about their corporate culture. As has been discussed here at length, they have had trouble moving anything more expensive than a Sonata (VeraCruz and Azera) yet they roll right out with a $40K+ Genesis, and plan to follow that with probably a $58K+ sedan.

Any self respecting and rational company would have let a generation of Genesis go by before they even remotely thought about going further upscale. Evidently, the Koreans think that brand image and prestige is created and cultivated with the snap of a finger. If Infiniti and Acura can't sell anything bigger than a midsize sedan, I can assure everyone here that Hyundai can't either. The Genesis is even pushing it.

Even the American companies aren't this stupid.
Um, yeah, okay. Perhaps you should know a little about what you're talking about, before calling things "stupid".

The Equus has been selling in Korea for about a decade now. This is a remodel, and it's meant primarily for the Korean market.

And FWIW, the Genesis is sold out in Korea.
Old 08-18-08, 01:45 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

This car, the Genesis, and the Genesis coupe would've been a great luxury spin-off for Hyundai...
Old 08-18-08, 02:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carguy101
Um, yeah, okay. Perhaps you should know a little about what you're talking about, before calling things "stupid".

The Equus has been selling in Korea for about a decade now. This is a remodel, and it's meant primarily for the Korean market.

And FWIW, the Genesis is sold out in Korea.
If it's meant for the Koren market then that's a different ballgame, but if there plans are for a North American release, I think their chance for success is virtually 0.
Old 08-18-08, 03:33 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If it's meant for the Koren market then that's a different ballgame, but if there plans are for a North American release, I think their chance for success is virtually 0.
I agree, which is why I doubt it'll be sold here.
Old 08-18-08, 06:27 PM
LexFather

So let me get this right, Hyundai will have a premium luxury flagship but not Infiniti or Acura? Sometimes I wonder why they even try.......

Seems to me in a decade the only thing these cars will be missing is the luxury badge.