Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Night racers hit 100+ MPH on I-485 in Charlotte -- BUSTED

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 10:15 PM
LexFather

Two more arrested for interstate drag racing

Two more men were arrested early Sunday for drag racing on Interstate 85 North – this time in Gaston County.

N.C. Troop K.L. Cornwell said he drove up on a rolling roadblock near the Lowell exit, and saw two black souped-up Honda Civics lining up in the left lanes, with a silver “flag car” in the right.

“They were running about 55 mph, when the driver in the silver car stuck his hand out the window and gave the signal to go,” Cornwell said. “The two black Hondas took off.”

So did Cornwell.

He got around the roadblock, and was able to stop one of the black Hondas, which he clocked at 87 mph in a 60 mph zone.

He arrested the driver of that car, 19-year-old Brandon Best, and charged him with driving with a revoked license, pre-arranged speed competition, driving 87 mph in a 60-mph zone, wreckless driving and resisting arrest.

Best was being held in the Gaston County Jail Sunday night under $25,000 secured bond.

Cornwell also arrested the designated flagman in the silver car. He’s charged with aiding and abetting pre-arranged racing. He declined to give that driver’s name because the incident is still under investigation.

Sunday’s arrest follows a drag-racing arrest in Mecklenburg last month. Cornwell didn’t know if the Gaston County incident is related to that one.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/452406.html

Old 01-06-09, 01:25 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

racing Civics w/ other POS Civics is just sad. trying to race your riced out Civic with the police is just plain retarded.

Last edited by FKL; 01-06-09 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 06:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Young people 17 to 30 + fast cars= trouble. That is why insurance premiums are so high for this group. Immaturity plays a key role and not what you drive.
Old 01-06-09, 07:42 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

hahahaha what dummy heads
Old 01-06-09, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Young people 17 to 30 + fast cars= trouble. That is why insurance premiums are so high for this group. Immaturity plays a key role and not what you drive.
It goes even beyond immatuity. Speeding and drag-racing can become an addiction, even on public roads. I've seen kids interviewed about matters like this. They know the dangers.....they aren't as dumb as some of us make them out to be. But, like crack, heroin, sex, alcohol, and gambling, aggressive driving can become an addiction........young people get hooked on it, and they are willing to take a chance on the dangers (and legal troubles) involved simply because they love it so much.

This is nothing new, BTW.....the addiction to this kind of driving goes back to the Fifties, and even the late 40's, after World War II, with the birth of the street-rod movement in CA. Many ex-fighter pilots, who no longer had their planes to be aggressive with, turned to cars and motorcycles instead....and the birth of the bike gangs.
Old 01-06-09, 08:37 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like an old DX with an engine swap. Is he squeezing too?

The wiring looks horrendous.
Old 01-06-09, 08:47 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks like the Greenville SC crowd.....its ridiculous around here and just like the above story they do the same crap here. I have witnessed it a few times and its sad becaue most of the time the cars are garbage and just abnoxiously loud, and they arent even going anywhere....so yeah they needed all 13 miles to get to 100mph.....I swear those look like the cars around here.....I guarantee you 1 of those 6 cars has a untuned backyard turbo on it with a louda$$ blowoff valve....that seems to be the trend here in Greenville SC.....
Old 01-06-09, 08:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It goes even beyond immatuity. Speeding and drag-racing can become an addiction, even on public roads. I've seen kids interviewed about matters like this. They know the dangers.....they aren't as dumb as some of us make them out to be. But, like crack, heroin, sex, alcohol, and gambling, aggressive driving can become an addiction........young people get hooked on it, and they are willing to take a chance on the dangers (and legal troubles) involved simply because they love it so much.

This is nothing new, BTW.....the addiction to this kind of driving goes back to the Fifties, and even the late 40's, after World War II, with the birth of the street-rod movement in CA. Many ex-fighter pilots, who no longer had their planes to be aggressive with, turned to cars and motorcycles instead....and the birth of the bike gangs.
And while it has a lot to do with immaturity people fit the car stereotype. Honda/Civics are huge problems with racing here too. A ricer in an Intergra killed 4 people just recently when he sideswiped it racing. They are by far the worst drivers on the planet and I try to avoid them like the plauge.

Old 01-06-09, 10:33 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I guess that explains the need for 13 miles of road to do 100mph....

Honda - Hold On Not Done Accelerating

And besides, Charlotte is Rick Hendrick's stomping grounds and home to NASCAR. If they raced in Chebbys and Fords, they'd just get a slap on the wrist...
Old 01-06-09, 11:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by YupImJOee
this is why the honda crowd is so frowned upon.
I agree. Those cars are more worked than mine was when I was that age. I think the cars are fitting for the age group, and they didnt do anything many of us havent done before. I am not talking about running from the cops, but the hardcore speeding. We have all done stupid crap behind the wheel. Its a thrill and its something we do when stupid and young. Nobody here is perfect.
Old 01-07-09, 12:08 AM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

i dont like street racing but i do like the occasional wots that completely wastes gas sigh...
Old 01-07-09, 12:35 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did those pea shooters reach in excess of 100mph?
Old 01-07-09, 12:47 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Generalizing is bad mmmkay?

I sadly fall into this group, and my insurance goes off the basis to charge me more because apparently I'm more liable to take greater risks and *race*. My record is clean since 16, and I don't understand how this is even legal to stereotype when figuring insurance rates. Label it all you want, statistics, history, its still stereotyping.

As for these honda tards, yes I agree they should be dealt with severely as they are hazards on the road. A week or so ago I was driving home from work and I noticed 3 GLARING headlights coming fast behind me, the car in my lane SHOT to the left lane, nearly hitting me, and all three fly by ricing it all the way. One was a VW, another was a Focus hatchback, and I don't remember the last one, but needless to say, I wish I were a cop at that moment.
Old 01-07-09, 08:25 AM
wmb
Rookie

It's interesting how even this turn into honda bashing.

Ricer, Street Racer are bad period. Does not matter what make they drive. They are a menace to the street and their cars should be tow and license suspended. If they are endanger to other on the road then they need to be taken off the road.

I have encounter many many bad driver and believe it or not toyota corolla is the cuprit driving by asian women. So what does it mean, it mean nothing. It's usually who the driver is not what car they drive.

Many driver I hate are young girl on cell phone. They are the worst driver.
Old 01-07-09, 10:13 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Good pont wmb, it really doesn't matter what kind of car it is. There's a video of some morons rolling down the highway weaving in and out of cones in their cars as they were driving to Waterfest in NJ. The cops pulled all of the volkswagens over and ticketed them. Man I wish I could find that video.

Quick Reply: Night racers hit 100+ MPH on I-485 in Charlotte -- BUSTED