Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan-Infiniti making a big effort to improve quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I partially, but not totally agree, UDel. We all know that Nissans and Infinitis, after the much-publicized buyout by Renault, switched to El Cheapo interior/material quality for several years. But, while that made for some rather unpleasant vehicles, it did not necessarily affect their reliability. They continued to remain average or better in reliability until they started building trucks and SUV's at the Canton, MS plant..........THEN is when the reliability of the vehicles from that specific plant took a nose dive other that of other Nissans; virtually to the bottom of the auto industry. THAT specific plant........with the specific machines, tooling, workers, and internal plant operating procedures.........has been the source of most of Nissan/Infiniti quality problems, affecting the vehicles built in that plant.......primarily the Titan, Armada, and QX56. The Nissan/Infiniti cars, including those built just a few miles away at their Smyrna, TN plant, have been quite reliable. Why? Because the Smyrna plant doesn't have problems like they do at Canton. The Canton plant has had big problems since Day One...and they still are not all completely solved.

Is it specifically the workers at the Canton plant? I won't go out on a limb and make a supreme judgement here; it is probably a complex problem. I noted above that machines, tooling, and operating procedures may all play a part, but it should also be noted that MS has a reputation for low education, low income, and unskilled workers.....and, of course, it takes sharp skills to build today's vehicles properly.
I agree with you about the Canton plant, a complete disaster. However, Nissan quality has not been near average for at least 10 years now, they are consistently below average in all reports.

Infiniti clearly has fared much better, the QX56 (built in Canton) hurt them.

Old 08-22-08, 09:52 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well good ... they'll be better made ... and then maybe they'll worry about how ugly and catfish looking their designs have gotten