Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 BMW price increases

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 02:01 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Oh I knew someone would come back with something like this (I really want to say shortsighted, but I'll try to be nice). Take a gander at the BIG picture - look at the two and one year charts. BMW would have had to have been doing monthly increases on their prices to keep up with this. At $1.50 USD per Euro, they are getting killed and I'm positive they would have liked to have raised prices even more.
You're saying that BMW planned this 2 year in advance?
You don't want to admit the obvious....because of the horrendous returns on their vehicle due to heavy incentives and leasing, they are not making as much money as pointed out by BMW executives. Also consider that many of the price increases also are even on US domestic made BMW nullifying any pretenses with Euro-Dollar exchange. That is the REAL big picture: BMW was losing money heavily financing each sale/lease to keep pace with Lexus/MB.
Old 08-22-08, 06:11 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
You're saying that BMW planned this 2 year in advance?
You don't want to admit the obvious....because of the horrendous returns on their vehicle due to heavy incentives and leasing, they are not making as much money as pointed out by BMW executives. Also consider that many of the price increases also are even on US domestic made BMW nullifying any pretenses with Euro-Dollar exchange. That is the REAL big picture: BMW was losing money heavily financing each sale/lease to keep pace with Lexus/MB.
Where in the world did you get that this was planned two years in advance? BMW raises prices along with everyone - during model change over and often mid-year. The Euro has continued to climb and they have continued to take it in the shorts. The increase was planned months ago, not just a couple of weeks ago when the dollar got stronger.

The incentives are on the interest rates - prove otherwise if you like? They ofter low rate financing to help move the cars - just like everyone else (yes, Lexus included).

BMW has some bad returns on their X5s - do you know of bad (or in your terms "horrendous") returns on other vehicles in their lineup? If so, fork over the proof, we are waiting.

You comment about BMWs made here shows that my theory about you was correct. You have never run your own business. Do a little research - making the vehicle here saves them "some" cash, but check out the parts content of these babies.....
Old 08-22-08, 07:55 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Where in the world did you get that this was planned two years in advance? BMW raises prices along with everyone - during model change over and often mid-year. The Euro has continued to climb and they have continued to take it in the shorts. The increase was planned months ago, not just a couple of weeks ago when the dollar got stronger.

The incentives are on the interest rates - prove otherwise if you like? They ofter low rate financing to help move the cars - just like everyone else (yes, Lexus included).

BMW has some bad returns on their X5s - do you know of bad (or in your terms "horrendous") returns on other vehicles in their lineup? If so, fork over the proof, we are waiting.

You comment about BMWs made here shows that my theory about you was correct. You have never run your own business. Do a little research - making the vehicle here saves them "some" cash, but check out the parts content of these babies.....
What does my comments about BMW have anything to do with "me running a business" (and where did i ever state that)? Your feeble arguments are incoherent and half-assed at best, and now trying throw personal attacks only shows your ignorance. You still haven't even backed up your original claim that these increases are based on the Euro-dollar exchange. Now you're on some weird tangents about X5's and interest rates.. Not going to argue with you anymore as it seems pointless especially with your apparent bias.

Last edited by ST430; 08-22-08 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 09:45 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
you guys are lucky, BMW costs much more in Dubai.

I wanted a 530i last year, and it was around 60K
yea, Canada too, example:

base 323i sedan (which maybe you guys don't have?) = 35,900
base 328i sedan = $41,000
Old 08-24-08, 04:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I can't claim to have an intimate understanding of bimmers last year prices but I will take the previous poster at face value when he says that the percentage increases are from 2 to 6%. Does that deserve all the testy exchanges? Seems to be right in line with what we can expect.

Of course bimmers aren't exactly "value" priced. They never have been. The lease deals made them affordable to drive, not cheaper to own. The reports are that bimmer is trimming down the leasing and holding to pricing. If that's true and it works, there will be a bigger portion of the population that will not be able to afford them. Big deal. If you want the cheap price in this segment, well that's what Lexus and Infiniti are for. If you want exclusivity, it will come with a price. But the price increases don't seem to be that out of line for a car that is, and always has, attempted to justify pricing partially by brand image. They, and the Europeans, aren't the only ones who have, or do play that game.
Old 08-24-08, 05:04 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like they say, better to lease a new BMW, than buy. And BMWs have had the biggest incentives, which can help. But it's true, costs are going up across the board, and prices too.
Old 08-24-08, 05:24 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
I can't claim to have an intimate understanding of bimmers last year prices but I will take the previous poster at face value when he says that the percentage increases are from 2 to 6%. Does that deserve all the testy exchanges? Seems to be right in line with what we can expect.

Of course bimmers aren't exactly "value" priced. They never have been. The lease deals made them affordable to drive, not cheaper to own. The reports are that bimmer is trimming down the leasing and holding to pricing. If that's true and it works, there will be a bigger portion of the population that will not be able to afford them. Big deal. If you want the cheap price in this segment, well that's what Lexus and Infiniti are for. If you want exclusivity, it will come with a price. But the price increases don't seem to be that out of line for a car that is, and always has, attempted to justify pricing partially by brand image. They, and the Europeans, aren't the only ones who have, or do play that game.
Exclusivity and BMW don't go together lol, in NJ and Cali, BMW is more common than Lexus, Merc, and Audi combined. I think most of the people who buy BMW are just materalistic fools looking for a moral boost. Its so common to see some BMW roll by and the driver is some baller looking dude with a blonde chick all decked out in gucci glasses and permed hair, only to notice that he is rolling on 16" rims and the car don't even come with projectors (only the lowest level 1,3 and 5 series have 16" and non projector lights)
Old 08-24-08, 05:38 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Exclusivity and BMW don't go together
i can agree with that ... in vancouver, bimmers (specifically 3s & not cheep 3s either) are as common as civics ... oohhhh consumers
Old 08-24-08, 06:06 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
i can agree with that ... in vancouver, bimmers (specifically 3s & not cheep 3s either) are as common as civics ... oohhhh consumers
but you know they're leases. Remember when the M3 came out? You'd see a lotta of them. Now where have they gone? I haven't seen the last Gen M3 in a year.
Old 08-24-08, 06:17 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend from socal, he works as a clerk for a small convient store and rubs it in my face how he drives a 335 folding hard top (leasing) lol.
Old 08-24-08, 06:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
but you know they're leases. Remember when the M3 came out? You'd see a lotta of them. Now where have they gone? I haven't seen the last Gen M3 in a year.
oh yea they're totally all leases ... my point was just the commonness of some form of 3series
Old 08-24-08, 10:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Recent history definitely has the bimmer being way too common IMO. If bimmer can sort out the finances properly and make the brand less accessible to those living with Mom and Dad but leasing a bimmer, it wouldn't bother me. I just can't believe they are really going to tighten up the 3 series deals that much. I guess we will just have to wait and see. But as for the price increases, too much discussion over too little of an issue.
Old 08-25-08, 03:19 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

You guys think that is "expensive"? Try buying a BMW here in Europe!

-More expensive than their US counterparts (135i in Europe costs more than a US 135i)

-Less standard features
Old 08-25-08, 11:53 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
What does my comments about BMW have anything to do with "me running a business" (and where did i ever state that)? Your feeble arguments are incoherent and half-assed at best, and now trying throw personal attacks only shows your ignorance. You still haven't even backed up your original claim that these increases are based on the Euro-dollar exchange. Now you're on some weird tangents about X5's and interest rates.. Not going to argue with you anymore as it seems pointless especially with your apparent bias.
If you had some knowledge of running a business I think you would understand pricing basics. I think you have shown that you don't get it. I'm not here to educate you - there are schools for that. Check them out.
Old 08-25-08, 04:21 PM
LexFather

Ok this has run its course. THanks