Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes S class Named Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Yea

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08 | 04:04 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

The S and LS460 are both great cars (as are the 7 and A8). You can't go wrong with any of them.

Magazines will have their opinions and of course all of us have ours. At the end of the day it is all about what YOU like best.
Old 08-24-08 | 04:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Well deserved for the legend of the segment. I'll take the S65 AMG please
Old 08-24-08 | 08:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If the current S class reliability was 'well below' the LS460 it wouldn't sell/lease so well. It also outsold the LS460 last month even though it's a lot more expensive.

I can believe CR has some credibility with their mainstream data like Camry because the sample size is probably quite large, but the number of recent S-class owners who read CR and respond to a survey I bet is miniscule.

And as Chris said, data on prior models is meaningless.
bit, Mercedes has proven people clearly don't care about reliability/quality as Mercedes has always sold well, no matter how poor or good quality is. They just buy them.
Old 08-24-08 | 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
bit, Mercedes has proven people clearly don't care about reliability/quality as Mercedes has always sold well, no matter how poor or good quality is. They just buy them.
Well a few years ago there's no question MB was having some pretty serious problems and buyers did leave MB and go to Lexus in particular.

But I've seen nothing in the press to indicate things are bad now, and MB acknowledged the problems (a ton of which were in the first gen ML as we know, their guinea pig in AL), and claims to have been working like crazy to improve.

But yes, there's many 'badge' buyers no matter what the problems.

Merging with Chrysler was probably one of the worst PR moves in history. Epic fail.
Old 08-24-08 | 08:48 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

A very nice car for sure and when it's all working I wouldn't mind driving any of the contenders. When it comes to my long term buying habits, I'd chose the one from that island.
Old 08-24-08 | 12:26 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unfortunately, it falls well below the LS460 in reliability.
life is just too short to play it safe all the time.
Old 08-24-08 | 01:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr
life is just too short to play it safe all the time.
Its also too short to be sitting at the dealership all the time

I do believe the new S-class has really improved in the quality arena, but its hard to compare any vehicle to the LS, as it now has the highest quality score ever.
Old 08-24-08 | 02:55 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Auto Express is domestic to the UK. We obviously dont get that here, and they dont get the equivalent of the US.

On the contrary, whenever the LS460 wins, even from a non-automotive press, everyone celebrates as if it was the new millennium. No need to dispute this one. I've heard all arguments

No matter what the source is, the S-class is a benchmark and it deserves to win any award that's given to it.

True. I can't argue with this in the least. Not every award is driven solely by quality statistics. This one seems to value engineering as much as anything.
Old 08-24-08 | 04:14 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Instead of waiting for some meaningless magazine or web site award or review, people would be better off going to drive these things if they are seriously in the demographic to spend their own money depending on what they experience on one of these things. There isn't much doubt that the S Class is the best in the big sedan segment at this time IMO. And maybe has been since the current gen came out. The LS certainly has its attributes but without swallowing the nonsense from the CTS ad, the LS isn't going to return the favor when you start it up. Maintenance issues? Of course. But what got me into a Lexus wasn't so much the reliability when I bought my GS but rather the entire package and the "something wicked" second GS was briefly right up there in being competitive in its segment if not class leading in performance for that size sport sedan. That was a long time ago and Lexus has not decided to build on that in any meaningful way that I can see. Don't bother bringing up the IS-F, it won't change my mind and certainly does not justify what has happened to the GS. Just a Lexus limited edition IS.

But back to the award, this is absolutely no fluke. I just went back to the September Motor Trend with the new car blurbs and the "sum up" statement for the 2009 LS is "No Longer The Benchmark Luxury Car" while the S class gets "The Luxury-Car Benchmark". Now the reliability of the S does hold me back from getting one although I have to admit it is the best drive in the segment right now. But the current 7 managed to get its reliability up to CR Recommended and the new one will be out momentarily, worth waiting for IMO. I won't go for a first year model bimmer , but it probably tops my list for the replacement of my GS once the teething issues get handled. A8 would be second although their reliability on that model doesn't even come up to the 7. The S class would be next and then, the LS. If Audi gets their reliability up, the 7 goes to the head if they banish some of their ride harshness. But the LS's biggest advantages in this segment are all before you start the engine while everyone else's, relatively speaking, begin to show the advantage over the LS after you start the engine. No surprise in this award.
Old 08-24-08 | 04:26 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If the current S class reliability was 'well below' the LS460 it wouldn't sell/lease so well. It also outsold the LS460 last month even though it's a lot more expensive.
This is quite a silly statement. Althought reliability could be the scale tipper for some, there are still a lot of people who buy the badge. I am not saying that is a bad thing b/c the s-class is a great car and people buying know it is , but reliability pretty far from a lot of peoples minds when good warrentees are offered.
Old 08-24-08 | 07:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by texan629
also life's too short to be driving a boring car.
Correct, we should all drive Lotus Elises.
Old 08-24-08 | 07:27 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

i like the new S-class especially a DUB or VIP modded one!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-08 | 07:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS430V8
i like the new S-class especially a DUB or VIP modded one!!!!!!!
Its looks really grew on me. I am still disappointed the interior looks like a straight 7 series knock-off

Old 08-24-08 | 09:36 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its also too short to be sitting at the dealership all the time
for the gratifying rewards afterward...it's all worth it.
Old 08-24-08 | 10:06 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

M looks amazing!

Quick Reply: Mercedes S class Named Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Yea