Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes S class Named Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Yea

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 05:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

If the current S class reliability was 'well below' the LS460 it wouldn't sell/lease so well. It also outsold the LS460 last month even though it's a lot more expensive
Can't agree there. Poor reliability doesn't deter a lot of people. Hyundai's enormous sales figures in the late 80's and early 90's, when it was building junk, testifies to that. So does the current sales figures for many of today's German-designed cars, despite below-par reliability.

I see this all the time in my auto consulting. Some people are determined to have a Ford product, or a Chevy, or a Dodge (or, of course, many other makes), simply because they grew up with one, because their ancestors drove one for the last 50 years, because they are are more concerned with what the neighbors will think, because of stereotypes in the auto press (I won't get into those stereotypes here again.....you know what they are), or because they are impressed with performance figures published in auto mags.

The power of today's auto marketing is enormous.........and there is a s**ker born every minute. Though there are some honest salespeople, many others salespeople are not so, and know how to take advantage of unwary car shoppers.

But, sometimes the shoe is on the other foot.......no smooth-talking salesperson on earth can make a determined Ford buyer switch to a Chevy......or vice-versa..... if that buyer is determined enough. The best examples, of course, are the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-08 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-25-08, 06:56 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats to the boss. I love the LS reliability but the S is the boss no matter where you go.
Old 08-26-08, 11:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Poor reliability doesn't deter a lot of people. Hyundai's enormous sales figures in the late 80's and early 90's, when it was building junk, testifies to that.
Well there's a big difference between a 'junk' DIRT CHEAP car and a 'junk' very expensive luxury car. People who buy DIRT CHEAP know they're not buying something that's going to be a stunning level of quality. Plus Hyundai used the long warranty to try to reassure people which may have still left people with headaches but it at least got Hyundai in the game and learn from their mistakes, a great guerrilla marketing strategy.

People who buy EXPENSIVE cars expect them to be of decent quality and reliable even if that's not their highest priority (vs. say 'status', luxury features, style, etc.).

So does the current sales figures for many of today's German-designed cars, despite below-par reliability.
In that last survey I saw where I think MB was below average (although BMW was tied with Lexus) I still don't think it's that relevant because the differences throughout the range were very small.

To that point, I know many people with Dodges, Kias, and other brands not known for 'quality' and those vehicles have been completely reliable and the owners are very happy. My neighbor just sold a Mercedes and bought a Dodge Nitro!

The power of today's auto marketing is enormous
So is the power of the media and your favorite (not mine), Consumer Reports.

So perhaps we're saying the same thing. For some people reliability is highest on the list, for others it isn't. Doesn't mean it's irrelevant because no one wants to buy junk.

I'm not convinced though that TODAY'S MB, Audi or BMW are to any relevant degree less reliable than Lexus.
Old 08-26-08, 11:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its looks really grew on me.

And that right there is pure sex.
In particular I love the radiused crease on the side making the light change and the perfect wheels and fitment.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-26-08 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 11:18 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

In that last survey I saw where I think MB was below average (although BMW was tied with Lexus) I still don't think it's that relevant because the differences throughout the range were very small.
Would that be the American Consumer Sats. Index?

Please note that was not a measure of reliability, but of customer satisfaction (expectations, quality, value together). The differences there were small (and Lexus tied with BMW); one has to look at reliability surveys separately to get accurate info on the makes and their problems.
Old 08-26-08, 03:30 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and to think about all the old posts of people hating on this car so hard when all they saw were "spy shots"...
Old 08-26-08, 03:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
and to think about all the old posts of people hating on this car so hard when all they saw were "spy shots"...
haha. It happens to every car out there, mostly non-lexus. When a company decides to change design, everyone moans about it because the previous generation already looks so good. Actually come to think of it, many people hated the 3GS design because they had high expectation due to the 2GS. Now that the 3GS settled in, it looks beautiful to many. Not every car is a winner from the start. It eventually settles in. Heck look at the previous generation Acura TL.
Old 08-26-08, 03:51 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't agree there. Poor reliability doesn't deter a lot of people. Hyundai's enormous sales figures in the late 80's and early 90's, when it was building junk, testifies to that. So does the current sales figures for many of today's German-designed cars, despite below-par reliability.

I see this all the time in my auto consulting. Some people are determined to have a Ford product, or a Chevy, or a Dodge (or, of course, many other makes), simply because they grew up with one, because their ancestors drove one for the last 50 years, because they are are more concerned with what the neighbors will think, because of stereotypes in the auto press (I won't get into those stereotypes here again.....you know what they are), or because they are impressed with performance figures published in auto mags.

The power of today's auto marketing is enormous.........and there is a s**ker born every minute. Though there are some honest salespeople, many others salespeople are not so, and know how to take advantage of unwary car shoppers.

But, sometimes the shoe is on the other foot.......no smooth-talking salesperson on earth can make a determined Ford buyer switch to a Chevy......or vice-versa..... if that buyer is determined enough. The best examples, of course, are the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado.

Old 08-26-08, 09:19 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove a new S63 AMG last night and I was very impressed with the car and how much better it was than previous S classes I have driven (2003 and older) Handling and ride comfort seemed perfect as I drove down Sunset Blvd. & the 405 freeway. This was at 11:00 PM, no rattles, squeaks, or any noise at at all. Very impressive, I dread driving the BMW 750iL tomorrow, I will be kind & brief it is very abrupt in every move it makes.