Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 03:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
forget the ****.
make a spinwheel like the ipod.
The LF-A interior 'controller' looks like an iPod spinwheel. But surely Apple has the copyright on that?
Old 08-24-08, 03:36 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if lexus were smart they would somehow incorporate the two and keep it both touchscreen and scroll-dial to satisfy both fan base.
Old 08-24-08, 04:39 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

some of those LFA photos do show some sort of joystick. almost like an additional shifter (BMW like shifter). i hope its not ugly in production
Old 08-24-08, 05:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
if lexus were smart they would somehow incorporate the two and keep it both touchscreen and scroll-dial to satisfy both fan base.
Agreed. With the latest LS and LX still using touchscreen, I'm guessing a controller would complement, making a 2-system lineup. But for the RX and LF-A, looks like only controller...
Old 08-24-08, 06:04 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I just want something that works when the car is moving
Old 08-24-08, 07:14 PM
LexFather

And while I can appreciate all this new tech and etc to prevent us from crashing, if we didn't have so much distracting stuff in the car in the first place, we wouldn't need all these ***** etc, not mention the weight they add.

I mean the new 7 will have the internet. BMWs are to be "driving machines" yet they will introduce the internet to cars. How distracting is that?

Though as much as I am on the internet, it surely appeals to me.

I take driving serious. Rarely do I talk on the phone or do anything but focus on driving, both hands on the wheel. WWAAAAAYYY to many people here want the freedom of driving, don't want to take public transit, but want to do stuff in the car, they could VERY WELL be doing on the bus/train etc.

Old 08-24-08, 08:44 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like a lot of these car manufacturers are using the ***** ONLY because they want their screens to be further back for design purposes.

I guess it makes it look more premium, having the screen up there with the gauges, but seriously, touch screen is one of the reasons I chose the IS instead of the 335i.
Old 08-24-08, 09:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind not having a touch screen. In fact, my current GS430 with navigation has touch screen and I don't really like it all that much. I much rather have separate buttons for the AC and radio control. I really don't like having to change menus from one screen to another just to chance the AC setting or change something on the audio. Perhaps the ultimate would be to have a touch screen and joystick and also separate radio and AC controls. I'm really close to ripping out the OEM navigation screen and putting in the non Navi AC controller and an aftermarket double DIN A/V unit.
Old 08-24-08, 10:19 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just drove a new G35 sedan while my G35 coupe was in for service. The loaner had Nav. and it was my first chance to play with the current Infiniti system. It has a controller sort of like I-drive, but it was a piece of cake to use. It was as easy to input addresses as with the touch screen. Overall, I thought the G35 Nav was far superior to the one in my 2008 ES350. No, it does not have full fuctionality while moving either, but that is not an issue for me.

Based on a short time with the Infiniti controller, if Lexus does as good a job on theirs, I would prefer it to the touch screen.

Steve
Old 08-24-08, 10:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I feel like a lot of these car manufacturers are using the ***** ONLY because they want their screens to be further back for design purposes.

I guess it makes it look more premium, having the screen up there with the gauges, but seriously, touch screen is one of the reasons I chose the IS instead of the 335i.
It's not so much about looks, it's SAFER having the screen up higher so you don't have to look down or sometimes as far right to see the screen.
Old 08-24-08, 11:29 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's not so much about looks, it's SAFER having the screen up higher so you don't have to look down or sometimes as far right to see the screen.
Oh yeah I forgot about that!

I mean as long as they make the system easy enough so that even if the screen is higher up you dont' spend a longer time looking at it. The thought of having to scroll through letters to type in an address is already giving me shivers.
Old 08-25-08, 01:04 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I don't mind not having a touch screen. In fact, my current GS430 with navigation has touch screen and I don't really like it all that much. I much rather have separate buttons for the AC and radio control. I really don't like having to change menus from one screen to another just to chance the AC setting or change something on the audio. Perhaps the ultimate would be to have a touch screen and joystick and also separate radio and AC controls. I'm really close to ripping out the OEM navigation screen and putting in the non Navi AC controller and an aftermarket double DIN A/V unit.

you can never please everyone.

the 3GS has all the settings hidden away so as to not have button clutter.
you set the fan speed and forget about it. these are things you usually don't set everyday.
if you want the a/c, just press auto. too cold, just press the temp button.

some people like to see every single button at once.
Old 08-25-08, 09:07 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree with this as well. In all these navi discussion topics, I've always said I like the screen as high up on the dash as possible. Its just more in the line of sight. Unfortunately, for us small people, that makes a touch screen a little difficult since we have to sometimes lean forward to reach the screen.
Old 08-25-08, 09:18 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmm, a mouse but not a ****. Lexus engineers have stated in the past they will not use any kind of **** b/c its counter-intuitive to the driver. It just complicates things.

I want to say everyone BUT Lexus and maybe Caddy has some sort of "****" in at least one vehicle in the lineup.

Lexus interiors and ergonomics are pretty much class leading and/or share the top spot with Audi. Audi cannot match the ergonomics. Lexus MAJOR issue with some owners is you cannot use the NAV while driving, thus people have to override it.
Yes please! I would even be happy if they somehow rigged the seat belt sensor for passengers to override the Nav lock when the car is in motion.
Old 08-25-08, 11:17 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
Yes please! I would even be happy if they somehow rigged the seat belt sensor for passengers to override the Nav lock when the car is in motion.
Yes, although I've heard of people thinking to place a stack of books on the passenger seat when driving alone.

Maybe a controller would be a reason to have less lockouts?

Quick Reply: New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?