Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 11:37 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

so far the RX still has one of the best layouts

the audio controls are still available and separate from the NAV. and the screen is up high right next to the wheel.
Old 08-25-08, 11:43 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
so far the RX still has one of the best layouts

the audio controls are still available and separate from the NAV. and the screen is up high right next to the wheel.
The RX one isn't too bad at all. Another one I really like is the Infiniti G35. Nav screen up high, it is also touch screen for those that want it, but the AC controls and Audio controls have their own buttons and is a separate unit just how I like it. Doesn't look cluttered at all.
Old 08-25-08, 12:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Don't have to imagine, do it all the time. I don't have to look through a haze of fingerprints or 'calibrate' my touches for the fact that I'm taller than average.
Just took a three hour drive in the wife's MDX. I can honestly say that the touch screen requires MORE eye time away from the road - especially when you press a button and nothing happens and you realize you missed it and have to try again. The controller concept is a superior one and voice recognition blows even that away (watched my wife put our destination in without touching the screen - was amazing. I know you can do it in many cars (BMW included), but I've never seen it work as well as Acura.)
Old 08-25-08, 12:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would great voice recognition be the answer to avoiding the frustrations of a motion lockout?
Old 08-25-08, 12:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
Would great voice recognition be the answer to avoiding the frustrations of a motion lockout?
Yes and no. If the voice recognition worked perfectly, but that is hardly the case. Too many variables in voice recognition. Plus, I rather still hit a button than talk to myself
Old 08-25-08, 04:02 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Sure why not? Of course both Acura and BMW allow you to program the NAV while driving so maybe they are hoping you are doing it with your voice
Old 08-26-08, 07:50 AM
LexFather

J/K Doug!!!

Old 08-26-08, 10:29 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

^^^^^^^^^^^ ROFLMAO

how about making it telepathic and just read my friggin mind? now THAT would solve the buttons issue and be totally hands free and not cause confusion and accidents . . .
Old 08-26-08, 11:17 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nabbun
^^^^^^^^^^^ ROFLMAO

how about making it telepathic and just read my friggin mind? now THAT would solve the buttons issue and be totally hands free and not cause confusion and accidents . . .
What if your mind is cluttered or you are a women going though hot flashes? I'm hot, no I'm cold. I can't hear the radio, its too loud.
Old 08-26-08, 11:24 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Sure why not? Of course both Acura and BMW allow you to program the NAV while driving so maybe they are hoping you are doing it with your voice
I find the Lexus procedure for programming NAVI while driving (by voice) to be quite cumbersome. Lots of prompts, it's difficult to spell out the name of the street, etc. Hopefully that can be improved.
Old 08-26-08, 11:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I find the Lexus procedure for programming NAVI while driving (by voice) to be quite cumbersome. Lots of prompts, it's difficult to spell out the name of the street, etc. Hopefully that can be improved.
true that, i am never a fan of the voice recognition on lexus
Old 08-26-08, 03:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
J/K Doug!!!
LOL @ "Invade Poland"

BTW with the new 7-series and in-car internet how do they navigate...I guess like a 'trackball'? But the iDrive **** still is rotary-like not 2d or something...
Old 08-26-08, 04:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Another indication of the Lexus controller system:

http://thepassionatepursuit.com/2007...ding-the-rx-f/

Originally Posted by Anonymous-insider
I work in the lexus plant and have seen the pilot cars being run through a test-production run on the assembly line through the past couple of weeks....and I can tell you 100% that the new model does NOT look like the pic shown above. I dont know specifics about the engine etc, but i know i havent seen any 7 seat cars run through the line. It also has a new feature of a 'mouse' with the main console gps/stereo system, which I find to be very cumbersome and think it will be really dangerous for someone to use while driving.
Old 08-26-08, 07:27 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
J/K Doug!!!
Ok, that's freggin hilarious. I personally like pulling the **** left

The Acura one requires no spelling - just say the name of the state/city/street and then call out the numbers for the address. I was blown away at how good it was. Of course it likes my wife's voice a lot better than mine. I think I'm just used to yelling at the BMW system
Old 11-20-08, 12:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4292382.html

New Lexus Remote Touch system

Lexus has finally joined the haptic controller race with a new system called “Remote Touch.” This controller acts similarly to BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI systems, but instead of a fixed **** that spins to run various vehicle functions, the Lexus system acts more like a more sophisticated computer mouse*—moving on multiple planes. It can also be programmed for different levels of feedback. We can't wait to test this new system.
OK, so now we've gotten the real deal...Remote Touch...There is brief video of it in action here...just like a giant computer mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4uyGHfHlk

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?