Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 12:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone notice, the square-shaped joystick controller on the 2008 LF-A concept is the same as appeared in the Remote Touch system on the new RX.

Attached Thumbnails New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?-08-11-19-2010-lexus-rx-remote-touch.jpg  
Old 11-20-08, 01:01 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Any thoughts?
Same as before... having had both, I prefer the controller approach to the touch screen. It not only makes more sense, but works better -especially if you are using it while driving.
Old 11-20-08, 01:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Remote Touch I think is really a great idea, and even better than a touchpad. It's also better than any "I-Drive" type rotary **** system. Using a "mouse" type of controller for the Nav, it's so simple yet nobody has ever implemented it previously.

The great thing about is once you're used to it, you'll never have to look down and won't have to take your eyes off the road. The Remote Touch controllers conforms to your hand like a mouse, and you can operate just on touch and feel alone without looking down. Because the Nav system is mounted higher up than the current gen RX, the Nav screen is closer to eye level and it's mounted above the height of the gauges. The Nav screen is the highest point on the dash. Plus, with the very bright OLED screen it should be easy to quickly see what you need on the Nav screen.

Originally Posted by encore888
Anyone notice, the square-shaped joystick controller on the 2008 LF-A concept is the same as appeared in the Remote Touch system on the new RX.
Great catch. It's interesting how with each new Lexus product reveal we get just a little bit more insight into some of the technology of the LF-A . Even so, I really do believe when Lexus shows us the production LF-A, we will still be blown away by how cutting-edge it is.
Old 11-20-08, 02:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i really can't say at this point until i am able to test it out. sensitivity, controls, speed, etc... they all come into play coz' now it's no longer my fingers. i do like the fact about no finger prints and also no more sunlight glares, but the controls is the key

fwiw, not the same thing, but i hated the joystick setup in the is300
Old 11-20-08, 02:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i really can't say at this point until i am able to test it out. sensitivity, controls, speed, etc... they all come into play coz' now it's no longer my fingers. i do like the fact about no finger prints and also no more sunlight glares, but the controls is the key

fwiw, not the same thing, but i hated the joystick setup in the is300
According to Lexus, sensitivity and speed of the controller can be manually adjusted.
Old 11-20-08, 02:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
According to Lexus, sensitivity and speed of the controller can be manually adjusted.
yeah i read about that and i think it's a must have (and i hope owners can adjust themselves), just like the mice on our computers. maybe it's more like a learning curve thing, just like learning idrive, etc...
Old 11-20-08, 02:49 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Everyone I have spoken with that has played with the Remote Touch has said, basically, if you can operate a mouse, you can pick this up in about 30 seconds.
Old 11-20-08, 03:15 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the actual idea might be good, but the implementation could use some work. its wayyy to cumbersome. i mean it takes up the whole center area. i cant see them putting this into sedan models, unless the make the shifter on the steering column
Old 11-20-08, 03:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
the actual idea might be good, but the implementation could use some work. its wayyy to cumbersome. i mean it takes up the whole center area. i cant see them putting this into sedan models, unless the make the shifter on the steering column
You've yet to use it though to see how well it's actually implemented. And way too cumbersome? So the Benz COMMAND and BMW I-Drive systems are elegant in comparison? The Remote Touch controller only takes up a part of the center console. They could easily widen the console and put the shifter beside it, or they can place the controller behind the shifter in sedan. Many ways to work it out.
Old 11-20-08, 03:50 PM
RXSF

actually, the COMAND **** is very neatly done, especially on my C class. i mean its just a **** with two buttons. to be honest, im not sure about the whole mouse and pointer thing. doesnt this mean you have to align the pointer exactly on the button on the screen to access the next menu? i mean a rotary **** automatically goes to the next button on the screen.

imagine while driving...you have to watch the road and watch where your mouse is going, and get it directly on the button. i mean to me, this is even more distracting. im not saying its a bad idea (because the large screen can accomodate large buttons), im just failing to see how its better
Old 11-20-08, 03:52 PM
RXSF

also i wonder how it looks on vehicles that dont get nav...both the dash and the area were the controller will be. unless all vehicles get the controller and screen for audio and ac
Old 11-20-08, 03:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

imagine while driving...you have to watch the road and watch where your mouse is going, and get it directly on the button. i mean to me, this is even more distracting. im not saying its a bad idea (because the large screen can accomodate large buttons), im just failing to see how its better
I doubt you have to align the pointer on the buttons manually. My guess is the square works, as a <= => and ^+ v pattern, with the center 'push' for select. Holding => scrolls through the buttons on the right side, etc.

The Popular Mechanics or CNET article says that it works on multiple levels...

...my guess is that a second tap or some other method lets you freely move the cursor about. This gives the ability to do more sophisticated things on the screen like place a memory point on a specific area of the map.

There is a notable point in how it is bigger than the COMAND/iDrive/MMI ****, but then again it is a ****+handrest+select/display/map/other buttons. Just like a multifunction computer mouse, but then again in size, ergonomically it makes sense to have a hand-sized mouse/Remote Touch system...

...perhaps for other vehicles, like the LF-A interior shown above, they have a 'mini Remote Touch' system which is just the joystick square...but then again the LF-A interior center area curves up and that space can be a handrest.

Last edited by encore888; 11-20-08 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 03:59 PM
RXSF

^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4uyGHfHlk

watch his use of the mouse. its actually like a computer pointer on the screen controlled by the mouse
Old 11-20-08, 04:02 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Remote Touch I think is really a great idea, and even better than a touchpad. It's also better than any "I-Drive" type rotary **** system. Using a "mouse" type of controller for the Nav, it's so simple yet nobody has ever implemented it previously.
Well the first gen idrive had 8-way functionality.... and that did not work so well

edit: I wouldn't go saying it is better than iDrive until you try both
Old 11-20-08, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4uyGHfHlk

watch his use of the mouse. its actually like a computer pointer on the screen controlled by the mouse
that video is great - shows car that looks good, interior that looks good, and he also mentions 8 MPG better fuel economy for hybrid - that actually makes more sense than 8% edmunds wrote before, because 8% is in line with what HH gets, which is bigger vehicle, with older hybrid system, and otto cycle engine...

If they managed to get 33/34 MPG out of GS450h, then that atkinson cycle petrol sounds really good.

Quick Reply: New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?