Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 04:16 PM
LexFather

So let me see here, if I get a RX and future Lexus with teh mouse thing...and I am moving it around...lets say I don't have tint..

It looks like I am playing with myself in the vehicle.

OWNER SATISFACTION THROUGH THE ROOF!!!

Old 11-20-08, 04:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
actually, the COMAND **** is very neatly done, especially on my C class. i mean its just a **** with two buttons. to be honest, im not sure about the whole mouse and pointer thing. doesnt this mean you have to align the pointer exactly on the button on the screen to access the next menu? i mean a rotary **** automatically goes to the next button on the screen.

imagine while driving...you have to watch the road and watch where your mouse is going, and get it directly on the button. i mean to me, this is even more distracting. im not saying its a bad idea (because the large screen can accomodate large buttons), im just failing to see how its better
Again, we don't know how it works exactly, but I meant in the sense that a "mouse" type device is definitely more intuitive than a rotary **** or button.

We don't know if you necessarily have to align the pointer with the on-screen button, or if it will automatically move to the closest button.

It could have multiple functionality.

also i wonder how it looks on vehicles that dont get nav...both the dash and the area were the controller will be. unless all vehicles get the controller and screen for audio and ac
It sounds like the controller might be optional, but I believe you get the OLED screen regardless of Nav or not. I believe it will be used as a backup camera screen if you don't have Nav.

I wonder if the heads up display and Nav/Remote Touch all come in one option package. With the HUD you would need to look at the Nav screen even less.
Old 11-20-08, 04:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Nav might also have an optional/available feature where it makes an audible chime when the mouse pointer hits buttons. Plus, we have yet to see how the casual language voice recognition works together with the Nav.
Old 11-20-08, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

bottom line to me is if bmw can do it with idrive, and mb can do it with the command system, then lexus can do it in any sedan easily
Old 11-20-08, 06:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4uyGHfHlk

watch his use of the mouse. its actually like a computer pointer on the screen controlled by the mouse
Hmm, you may be right...sounds like it works very much 'free-floating'

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...50h/index.html

Designed to interface with navigation, climate, and audio systems (not unlike the infamous BMW iDrive), it functions very much like a computer trackball. In fact, the cursor doesn't jump from menu to menu, but glides across the screen as if one were using a mouse. We've yet to try it while on the move, but it seemed slick and easy enough during our brief test on the show floor.
Old 11-20-08, 07:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

lexus has demo stations setup, which pretty much means they want to convince everyone this is good... so for you guys that are going to the show, let us know how it is

I tried i-drive and I hated it (2006 535d)... and I work in software industry so you would think I would like the gadgets (and I do, just not in the car)... and even funnier, my friend that works in the same company has S5 and doesnt know how to set average MPG to show - and he is software guru...

I just believe (IMHO) that in car you dont need 3 million options, but rather something that works quickly and well.
Old 11-20-08, 07:47 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I tried i-drive and I hated it (2006 535d)... and I work in software industry so you would think I would like the gadgets (and I do, just not in the car)... and even funnier, my friend that works in the same company has S5 and doesnt know how to set average MPG to show - and he is software guru...
I think that is the problem - too many people "try" iDrive and say it sucks. The fact is, it works - and pretty good at that. Takes about a day or so to learn - shorter for some people, longer for others...
Old 11-20-08, 07:54 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug_999
Takes about a day or so to learn - shorter for some people, longer for others...
Sure it works, I can get back home from work via the shortest route in 20 minutes or I can go with the longest route for one hour. Both work.

See, the problem is that if there are simpler systems out there which are easier to use than the iDrive (say the learning curve is 30 mins vs iDrive's one day) then the iDrive simply sucks.

Let's not forget that everything is comparable.
Old 11-20-08, 07:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think that is the problem - too many people "try" iDrive and say it sucks. The fact is, it works - and pretty good at that. Takes about a day or so to learn - shorter for some people, longer for others...
For a lot of people, that is far too long to learn. A controller that gives you function to different features and options should not take "a day or so" to learn.
Old 11-20-08, 07:58 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Touchscreen for me. There are enough buttons in the cabin, and in fact most of those should be integrated into the touchscreen as well...
Old 11-20-08, 08:21 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpower
Sure it works, I can get back home from work via the shortest route in 20 minutes or I can go with the longest route for one hour. Both work.

See, the problem is that if there are simpler systems out there which are easier to use than the iDrive (say the learning curve is 30 mins vs iDrive's one day) then the iDrive simply sucks.

Let's not forget that everything is comparable.
I honestly don't understand the analogy. It takes longer to learn iDrive than say a touch screen, but does that make it bad?

And yes, there are simpler systems - but with iDrive you can do a lot of things that you can't do with a simple system (want me to start naming all the fun things that a BMW driver can control that requires a trip to the dealer to change on a Lexus? I won't because that's not the topic of the thread).

What cracks me up is that I'm actually arguing with people who said that Lexus would never go the controller route because touch screen is/was simpler to use.....

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
For a lot of people, that is far too long to learn. A controller that gives you function to different features and options should not take "a day or so" to learn.
It's a $50,000+ car! Sorry, it is going to have technology and that takes time to learn. See the manual on a LS? It is huge! Why do they need such a big manual? because these cars have a lot of technology and yes, you have to learn how to use it
Old 11-20-08, 08:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I hated I-drive for about a few weeks. But I eventually get used to it. It's not the best thing but then it's not as bad as what a lot of your guys are saying.

In terms of ease of use, nothing beats my 200$ portable navigation.
Old 11-20-08, 08:33 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but with iDrive you can do a lot of things that you can't do with a simple system (want me to start naming all the fun things that a BMW driver can control that requires a trip to the dealer to change on a Lexus? I won't because that's not the topic of the thread).
I believe we are arguing about the CONTROLLER, not the actual FUNCTIONS of the iDrive. BMW can simply retain those functions but replace that rotary **** with a touch pad, touch screen or Lexus' new remote touch (which I think is the closest thing to the touch screen without actually touch the screen) sort of thing. Don't get me wrong here, iDrive is a powerful system but BMW can simply make them more user friendly (which is never German's strong suit...) or easier to use.

I am going to confess that I was one of the strong supporters for touch screen but after getting two service loaners with touch screen navi I can understand why everyone is going with the controller route. With the touch screen the screen needs to be placed closer to the driver which means it'll be below the normal driving eye-level. Although touch screen is the most user friendly interface but since most of the time the driver is looking at the screen instead of operating it, to move it up to the top of the center stack is just a natural thing to do. Since that's the case then a controller will be needed to operate the system.

I am going to the LA autoshow to try out the Lexus Remote Touch myself in a few days but based on the logic it looks like the most user-friend controller up-to-date.
Old 11-20-08, 08:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think they may be going backwards with that design philosophy
Old 11-20-08, 08:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Man, I remember the days on CL when we had pissing matches about how crappy the idrive/command/mmi **** was. My how times change and happy to see people looking at this technology with an open mind (or just some accepting the fact that it will more than likely be in future Lexus models, thus forcing everyone to get used to it )

I do want to see how this works and try it out. I have used the idrive/command systems before and for whatever reason couldnt get used to the idrive (might have been the newer generation, not sure), but I found the command system that MB uses to be quite easy. Since the Lexus version will be using a mouse, I sure hope the pointer on the screen is large enough where the driver doesnt have to be very exact while driving. And adjustable sensitivity is definitely a necessity.

Quick Reply: New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?