Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus NAVI controller (non-touchscreen) system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 11:58 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmbaker3
Any clue when this will be built into the LS model...?

I am expecting that this will not be added to the LS until the 5LS generation. It doesn't really make sense to add it when the screen is near the driver and touchscreen with this generation.

Just had a chance to try the Remote Touch system at the LA Auto Show and it is indeed the closest thing to a touchscreen without being one. I tried the Remote Touch system, and also used the various ***** available on the auto show floor (Acura, Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Mercedes, etc). The Remote Touch system is different, it is like a mouse, there is no rotating a ****.

Instead, the (square controller) ■ is like a joystick or mouse, navigating the 'hand' shaped cursor on the screen (I heard you can customize how the cursor looks or make it go away etc). The ■ can move in all directions, and I found it to be like using a mouse, although unlike a computer the screen real estate is comparatively simple so there is not a lot of wandering around and 'dead space.' That is not to say the screen is that small (at the test booth they were medium size), but most icons, cursor, etc are all big so it's hard to miss.

The movement felt simpler than that on a computer desktop or laptop mousepad. I did get the sense that the cursor 'gravitated' towards icons but I'm not sure if that was real. What was real was that as you hovered over icons the Remote Touch system would give a bit of vibration 'feedback' which reminded me of a Nintendo Wii control stick. I think the icons also were highlighted as you hovered over them.

One functional detail that I was not expecting based on my previous **** experience was that to select, there are 'ENTER' buttons on the left and right of the ■. Unlike a **** there is no pushing down on the ■ to select, rather you use your thumb or ring finger to select the side buttons. In this manner it is more like a joystick where the trigger is a separate button from the directional controller.

Also, some were wondering how sturdy it was, it felt rather solid. My explanation/analysis nonewithstanding, it felt extremely simple. For me and I expect most computer-using others, there was practically no learning curve. I just had to figure out that there were ENTER buttons on both sides for my convenience, and that was it.

Basically it was like the Lexus touchscreen navigation software has been simplified a bit (the menus are less cluttered), and uploaded to my laptop or computer, and now I'm using a fancier mouse to navigate, but in a simplified and feedback-added way.

IMO it is easy to see how this system will make it on to the LF-A, and it opens up possibilities for making it onto any Lexus model that would like to move the dash screen forward and simplify buttons. I still like the touchscreen, and consider it the easiest way to do things. Before I tested the Remote Touch system I was hoping that Lexus followed Infiniti in putting control buttons + touchscreen, but after my test I think that touchscreen and Remote Touch basically cancel each other out in their implementation. If you put both in the car it wouldn't make sense.

Sitting inside the luxurious interior of the LX 570, I realized that the upright center stack has to be done that way to make the touchscreen accessible to the driver. If a Remote Touch system were implemented they could put even bigger screens far forward. I did also wish that the Remote Touch controller look a bit more elegant like some of the **** systems out there, but I guess it's more form following function. The LF-A concept interior has a possible version of a minimalist Remote Touch controlller -- really all the need add is an 'Enter' button somewhere.
Old 11-29-08, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i don't think the current generation lexus will get the new setup until next full redesign
Old 11-29-08, 06:51 PM
jmbaker3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
personally i don't think the current generation lexus will get the new setup until next full redesign

How long do they run a model? ie. 460.
Old 11-29-08, 09:16 PM
3alwi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the touch screen

it is so easy and fast
Old 11-29-08, 09:46 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Helmar

For example, touching another point on the map and seeing how far away it is.

Touching a street when zoomed out to see it's name.

HBH
I remember when my wife got her C320 in 01 and my GS in 01, I was glad that Lexus' navigation is a touch screen. The MB navi is not user friendly at all and one of the issue I had was mentioned about as I can't project further down the route on the map like I can with the Lexus Navi. Perhaps its not about the joystick vs. touch screen feature, but if the joystick can't provide the same feature I would be disappointed. Personally, wife and I both convinced the touch screen is much user friendly. I remember she hated using her navi when she had her MB. I also disagreed that putting a joystick is a way to "compete" against the Germans. Look at the latest 7 series designed, you now see the Germans are following the Lexus IMO. Bottom line, I would choose touch screen over joystick any days.
Old 11-30-08, 12:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jmbaker3
How long do they run a model? ie. 460.
i say at least 5 yrs
Old 11-30-08, 01:52 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
IThe MB navi is not user friendly at all and one of the issue I had was mentioned about as I can't project further down the route on the map like I can with the Lexus Navi. Perhaps its not about the joystick vs. touch screen feature, but if the joystick can't provide the same feature I would be disappointed.
If you are referring to moving the map around so you can see the later parts of your trip, that is a function, IIRC which is replicated with the Remote Touch system.
Old 12-01-08, 01:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i can see how "moving the map" function can easily be done in the remote touch system coz' it's just a mouse, so that's no problem

but i do agree that seems to be a challenge with idrive type setup
Old 12-01-08, 01:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ok, rather than respond to the individual posts....
1. I'm still laughing that you guys are in love with a controller based system.
2. You still have not tried the Lexus system while driving - probably the major challenge with a touch screen. Will the lexus controller system work better? Personally, I'm a bit worried about the constant hand eye coordination required while driving - then again, I'm smart enough to not judge the system without using it (and using it at an autoshow is not the same thing as using it while driving).
3. Let's be honest here, many of you would never like something from BMW or MB - but it would seem to me that they were the pioneers in this new way to control a multitude of car functions....
Doug u can slap me! I will have to try it but I still don't like the thought of it. I guess cars are getting so many damn electronic options, buttons have to go.

Clearly BMW led the way here with I-drive. Just wow.