Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 03:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101
Good review.
Thanks.

IMO, they priced the V8 just right ($42k fully loaded). It's only $2000 more expensive than a similarly featured V6 ($40k fully loaded).
Those expensive option packages push the price way up on both the V6 and V8 models. And, IMO, I think that non-Nav models are usually preferable to NAVs because the controls and buttons are usually much easier, but I know that may disagree with me on that, and in the Genesis, the non-NAV controls are almost as complex as the NAVs.

There is more than a $2000 difference, however, on the base V6 and V8 models (it is actually $5000)....and you can't necessarily compare them directly, because the V8 model includes other standard equipment than just the larger engine.

But the V6 is price too high. It should have a base price of $29,000, not $32,000.
Maybe. The actual selling market, and its conditions, will determine if it is too high or not. Look at BMW's for example.......IMO, many of them are priced more than they are worth, yet continue to sell well. And the Genesis, overall, is compatable with lower-level Lexus models that sell in the same price range, though, as I noted, for the money, its chassis enginering could be a little better.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-08 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 05:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the thorough review.

A few comments:
-The one you drove had the 14-speaker Lexicon stereo, not the 17-speaker stereo which is a part of the tech package. I listed to the 17-speaker and still didn't find it to be on par with the Levinson system but the reliability of that judgement is pretty low since they had no demo discs... I just had to scan around XM radio and see what I could find that might be decent to judge with. And XM is so much lower quality than, say, a good CD, much less a DVD-A disc!...

-I'm not sure I see eye to eye with you on the price. Maybe I do and we just put it in different terms. Hyundai historically has sold their model of a given class for the price of a car in the class below. In most ways their Genesis is in class with the GS, and yet if you compare prices it is in the ES' price class if not slightly below! I'd say that's typical Hyundai value. In the edmunds comparison it was stated that a loaded V8 genesis would come in 14k under a comparably equipped GS460... or really about the price of a well equipped (but still not even loaded and not V8 ES350)

-The difference between the V6 and V8 genesis is in fact about 2k... the main difference is that the V8 includes the $3k Premium Plus option package that was in your car. So the $5k difference really goes down to $2k unless you were planning on buying a V6 with no options or only the $2k premium package which I don't see being a common choice. As I understand it the V8 not only gives you the obvious 375hp Tau V8, but also improves the quality of the leather to some sort of 'ultra' leather that isn't available on the V6 with any option package and adds illuminated door sill plates.

Last edited by Threxx; 08-26-08 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Thanks for the thorough review.
And thank you.

A few comments:
-The one you drove had the 14-speaker Lexicon stereo, not the 17-speaker stereo which is a part of the tech package. I listed to the 17-speaker and still didn't find it to be on par with the Levinson system but the reliability of that judgement is pretty low since they had no demo discs... I just had to scan around XM radio and see what I could find that might be decent to judge with. And XM is so much lower quality than, say, a good CD, much less a DVD-A disc!...
Yes, I know it had the Lexicon stereo. The brochure and literature state that the Lexicon is part of the $3000 Premium-Plus package my car had (the brochure says 15 speakers; the website 14). I agree it is not quite the equal of the fabulous LS460 Mark Levinson (probably the best in the buisness), but, to my ears, it is one of the best I've heard outside of that. Perhaps a better name for the stereo would have been "Lexuscon".

I can't comment on the 17-speaker unit, as I have personally not (yet) heard it. But if you have heard the 17-speaker unit yourself, I'll take your word for it. I'll be surprised, however, if it sounds any better than the 14 (15?) speaker unit I heard yesterday, even though the 17-speaker unit comes with a more expensive option package. I was more impressed with the Lexicon than anything this side of a Mark Levinson.

-I'm not sure I see eye to eye with you on the price. Maybe I do and we just put it in different terms. Hyundai historically has sold their model of a given class for the price of a car in the class below. In most ways their Genesis is in class with the GS, and yet if you compare prices it is in the ES' price class if not slightly below! I'd say that's typical Hyundai value. In the edmunds comparison it was stated that a loaded V8 genesis would come in 14k under a comparably equipped GS460... or really about the price of a well equipped (but still not even loaded and not V8 ES350)
In my comments on price, I was referring more to the 3.8 version than the 4.6. The 3.8's pricing, depending on options, overlaps that of some lower-line Lexus products.....FWD, RWD, and AWD. I agree with you on Hyundai value. The 3.8 is probably worth what it costs, despite the fact that it and the Veracruz are the most expensive Hyundais in the American market. The 10/100 and 5/60 warranties alone add to Hyundai value.....I mentioned that earlier.

-The difference between the V6 and V8 genesis is in fact about 2k... the main difference is that the V8 includes the $3k Premium Plus option package that was in your car. So the $5k difference really goes down to $2k unless you were planning on buying a V6 with no options or only the $2k premium package which I don't see being a common choice. As I understand it the V8 not only gives you the obvious 375hp Tau V8, but also improves the quality of the leather to some sort of 'ultra' leather that isn't available on the V6 with any option package and adds illuminated door sill plates.
Yes, I know the V8 comes with upgraded leather (same colors). I can't comment on that leather because I haven't seen it in person. I may go back in a couple of months, look at a 4.6, and do a quick review update.

On paper, the base V6 ($32,250), and V8 ($37,250), are $5000 apart. I consider that the basic (no pun intended) difference between the two, at least on paper, although, as you note, the $3000 Premium-Plus and $4000 Nav-Tech packages muddle things a bit. Most cars in stock (as I found out yesterday) will have one of those two packages on them.
Old 08-26-08, 08:55 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another Outstanding review, thank you mmarshall!

Question please: For some reason in my mind I thought I had read that the Genesis would not have any Hyundai badges and was only to have Genesis Badges. I noticed in the pictures of the Black Genesis there were H badges on the trunk and steering wheel, did your Silver test car also have the H badges?

TripleL
Old 08-26-08, 09:28 AM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review mmarshall!
Old 08-26-08, 10:20 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That POS of a cover is the first thing I'd toss if I owned this car. And have you noticed that in (not in the Genesis), but in other Hyundais with transverse-mounted V6s, the engine cover is actually turned 90 degrees....fore and aft.....to make you THINK it is a longitudinal-mounted engine? Sure didn't fool me.

Why the delay? The 3.8 has been on sale awhile, and the auto press has plenty of 4.6s to review. Perhaps, as a member of the Hyundai team, the company reps will tell you things they won't tell us. I'm thinking it may be because of gas prices.....but the 4.6 and 3.8 have EPA mileage ratings that are pretty close to each other.
Your Welcome

Yeah a lot of the FWD cars with the same 3.8 Liter v6 have the engine cover facing the other direction to give it the RWD look. The Entourage(Van for Hyundai, The Kia Amanti (3.8L v6), and even the Azera slightly have that fake design. I guess they do that to "fool" people and to look "cool" with the RWD, but for people who are into cars, like yourself and I, and people who know how to read will see the FWD on the sales tag.

As for the delay on the 4.6. Nobody has mentioned anything to me, The gas prices may be an issue because it is slowly creeping down for now. I was guessing that they wanted to see how the 3.8s would do, or maybe they're thinking that if they release the 4.6, nobody would buy the 3.8? I'll try to dig up some information about that when the Hyundai Field techs come out to inspect some cars.

Oh and that 17 speaker Lexicon sound system is amazing....Its similar to the one offered in the Rolls Royce Phantom. Well standard in the Rolls of course, only an option in the Genesis.

Last edited by Rollin'ES3; 08-26-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Another Outstanding review, thank you mmarshall!
Thanks.

Question please: For some reason in my mind I thought I had read that the Genesis would not have any Hyundai badges and was only to have Genesis Badges. I noticed in the pictures of the Black Genesis there were H badges on the trunk and steering wheel, did your Silver test car also have the H badges?

TripleL
I think so, but I don't remember exactly where they were. Automakers sometimes use different logos, in different places on the vehicle, depending on which country and market the vehicle is sold in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-08 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Perfection
Great review mmarshall!

Thanks. I had specific requests for the Genesis, and felt I had kept those people waiting long enough.
Old 08-26-08, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews, by request (and depending on availability): 2009 Acura TL, 2009 Nissan Maxima
Old 08-26-08, 12:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i saw the last gen infiniti on the I35 on the road today.
i thought it looked like a genesis from the rear.

i think hyundai coulda made the rear more distinctive.

a very not-ugly generic looking car.
Old 08-26-08, 04:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the thorough review, mmarshall!
Old 08-26-08, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i saw the last gen infiniti on the I35 on the road today.
i thought it looked like a genesis from the rear.

i think hyundai coulda made the rear more distinctive.

a very not-ugly generic looking car.
Part of Hyundai's forte is what you would call "generic" styling. I happen to like conservative, non-outlandish styling like that myself. Few things in the auto world turn me off more than bullet-shaped cars.
Old 08-26-08, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Thx for the thorough review, mmarshall!
Thanks, encore.

More of them coming up.
Old 08-29-08, 07:32 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

good review but i feel you should leave comments like "Unacceptable delay for V8 models" out.
unless you're reviewing the entire car buying process and not just the car.
Old 08-29-08, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
good review
Thanks.

but i feel you should leave comments like "Unacceptable delay for V8 models" out.
unless you're reviewing the entire car buying process and not just the car.
I understand what you are saying, but I feel that it is currently one of the negatives associated with the car (more, however, with the buying process than the car itself, as you note).

I also note longer-than-average warranties (such as this car's 10/100 and 5/60) as a PLUS and shorter-than-average warranties (like the Smart-for-Two's 2/24) as a MINUS, even though it is not necessarily part of the physical car itself. Same principle.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan