Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 11:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I received an invitation in the mail for a "Discover Genesis Tour". It's being held at the Autobahn Country Club in October. After reading the information, it sounds similar to Taste Of Lexus. According to the materials there will be Mercedes, BMW and Cadillacs to compare it against. It's probably part of a national program.
Old 09-09-08, 11:55 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfection
Great review mmarshall!
As always!!!
Old 09-09-08, 11:59 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Saw one on the road the other day, had to take another look because at first I swore it was a BMW (rear end). It was ok. Handsome would be the choice word. Nothing outlandish, nothing that stuck out. BMW would be proud, BMW owners-not.

Of course the Genesis videos are hot right now.

Smoking a 750
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1hc1EhJ5IM

Outcornering a Benz and Beeme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd9S-pUFBPE

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-09-08 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 12:20 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have yet to see this car on the road in NYC.. What is going on?
Old 09-09-08, 12:31 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 773 Likes on 541 Posts

There is one in my parking structure at work. It looks good, although the stock wheels seem really small on it. Time for new wheels and a drop
Old 09-09-08, 06:23 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Crowd not ready

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I have yet to see this car on the road in NYC.. What is going on?
Maybe the world is not ready for a $35-40K Hyundai yet. Very good review, but I still think the interior will be the undoing of this vehicle. The dash is just too "plain" and I don't think the leather "ergonomics" is well laid out at all, atleast from the pictures.

Also, if I'm going to relieve myself of $40K, in this economy spend that much, I would get a Lexus for the name, or just go about $10K under and get either an Accord or Camry and save the rest for a rainy day.

Better yet, just get a CPO '04 Lexus LS430 UL with low mileage... and live happy for the next 15 years and see how the Genesis goes...
Old 11-25-08, 07:35 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marshall, I drove the Genesis 3.8 last night and must admit that I was more than impressed. Without the Nav package 32800 out the door.... V8 in the show room w/out NAV black on black 39850...

Night driving impressed me as this car has a stunning "light" set up in the interior. The v6 was a bit flat under 3k rpm however for spirited driving and family hauler very acceptable...

The pear white color is stunning at night. I rate it on par with Lexus.

This car should be on everybody's radar...
Old 11-25-08, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Marshall, I drove the Genesis 3.8 last night and must admit that I was more than impressed. Without the Nav package 32800 out the door.... V8 in the show room w/out NAV black on black 39850...
Unless you really need (or want) the NAV package, I'd say forgo it. On most cars.....and the Genesis is no exception......it just makes the mid-dash and stereo controls a lot more complicated. If you often back up in areas with small children or pets running around, though, it may be worth getting, because the NAV screen includes a back-up camera.

Night driving impressed me as this car has a stunning "light" set up in the interior. The v6 was a bit flat under 3k rpm however for spirited driving and family hauler very acceptable...
One lighting feature on the Genesis, though (if I remember it correctly), and on most newer Hyundais I've driven, is the rather bright blue odometer digital display under the primary gauges. That can be somewhat garish, even in the daytime, and the blue-black contrast of the digital figures can make them hard to read. I often list this as a MINUS when I review Hyundais.

The pear white color is stunning at night. I rate it on par with Lexus.
Pearl White, I agree, is indeed a nice paint job. Not only is it one of the safest automotive colors at night (for visibility reasons), but, in many surveys and sales figures, it has replaced silver as the most popular single automotive color.

This car should be on everybody's radar...
It's on a lot of radars. That's one reason why I gave it review priority when I did, without waiting for the 4.6L models to come in. There were numerous requests for it.