Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

By widespread CL interest, a review of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/Genesis/genesis.aspx

In a Nutshell: The Lexus of Hyundais..........for a Lexus price.

This review was some time in coming. There has been a lot of CL interest in this car, and I have gotten a number of review requests for it. It is perhaps the first Korean-designed product in the American market to be designed specifically with Lexus in mind, and, to some extent, succeeds. Hyundai, for the time being, will market the rear-drive Genesis as a somewhat more expensive brother to the front-drive Azera, its former U.S. market flagship.

The Genesis, like the long-defunct Mazda Millenia, was originally designed to be sold as a starter model in new, upmarket, luxury/premium divisions that both Ford/Mazda and Hyundai managemant cancelled because of costs. Same with the original 1994 Toyota Avalon......it was designed to be a lower-line Lexus, but Toyota managemant decided to make it the Toyota flagship instead and sell it under the Toyota name. So, the Genesis, a spinoff of the Asian-market Hyundai Equus that never made it to American shores, now edges out the Azera as the new Hyundai flagship.

And quite a nice flagship it is, although it could use a little more work on the chassis (more on that below). For now, two basic versions are offered; a V6 Genesis 3.8 and a V8 Genesis 4.6. Some of the interest in this car has been in either version; some of you, no doubt, wanted the V8 reviewed, so, you'll wonder "Marshall, why didn't you review the V8?"

Simple. Hyundai simply don't get off their duffs and SEND any V8's yet to dealerships, at least in my Washington, DC area. The regular auto press has had 4.6 V8 models for some time now (Warren Brown, the local Washington Post auto writer, who I know casually but not very well, just did a 4.6 write-up a couple of weeks ago). Other auto magazines and publications have already done 4.6 reviews and comparisons. In fact, I had planned to do a 4.6 V8 review myself, which is why I didn't look at a 3.8L V6 Genesis earlier......I was going to wait for the V8. But then, Hyundai just kept dragging their feet on delivering them. Local Hyundai dealerships have V8s on order, but just can't get them yet. Today, I was told late September or October, so finally I said the hell with it......I decided to go ahead and do the V6 model today, which is in stock. (CL members were waiting). So, a V6 it was.....and, after actually looking at and driving the V6, I'm not so sure the V8 is really necessary.....more on that below.

The Genesis, being the new flagship, of course, has a price tag to match. Hyundai has been steadily moving away from the cheap, tinny, image it had, years ago, of building unreliable junk, and now produces some REAL automotive products......vehicles that are well-built, well-engineered, and don't break down every time it's raining or a hot date is waiting for you on Friday night. Hyundai's "Driving is Believing" ad campaign is one of the few automotive ad campaigns that have some truth to them (many, if not most, are an insult to people's intelligence.....certainly to mine).

But, with improved growth, quality, selection, and engineering at Hyundai has come, of course, higher prices (most of them deserved). The days of new $8000-9000 Accents are gone......now they run $13,000-$15,000, and, unlike before, are worth it. Fully loaded Azeras can run over $30,000. So, with the introduction of the new flagship comes a flagship price.....V6 models start at $32,250, not including destination/freight. On top of this are some rather expensive option packages, which, in some cases, can push even V6 models to $40,000 or more (V8 models, when they finally arrive, will of course be even more....some of them could push $45,000). Finally, the Genesis sedan should not be confused with the new Genesis coupe, which is a different car that Hyundai is developing for a different purpose.

So.........is this expensive (for a Hyundai) sedan worth the newfound $$$$$ it will cost?

Read On.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Base Price: $32,250

Major Options:

Premium-Plus Package $3000

Destination/Freight: $750

List price as reviewed: $36,000

Drivetrain: RWD, longitudionally-mounted 3.8L CVVT V6, 290 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque 264 Ft-lbs. @ 4500 RPM,
6-speed SHIFTRONIC automatic transmission with Sport-Shift.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 18 City, 27 Highway

Exterior Color: Platinum (Silver) Metallic

Interior: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Long Hyundai warranty.

Handsome (IMO) exterior styling.

Excellent exterior hardware.

Superb interior fit/finish.

Unusual but classy leather-covered upper dash.

Numerous luxury/convienence features.

Nice paint job.

Whisper-quiet, refined, reasonably powerful V6.

Quiet ride.....Very low road/wind noise.

Good front/rear legroom/headroom.

Superb brake-pedal feel.

Clever trunk-mounted emergency fuel-door release handle.

Well-done exterior sheet metal (except for hood).

Smooth but crisp transmission.

Clear, well-done, well-marked gauges/buttons/controls.

Roomy trunk with cargo net.

Double-layer front console flip-up compartment.

Extra rear-seat heating/cooling vents in B-pillars.

Superb stereo sound quality.

Regular fuel for the V6.

MINUSES:

Unacceptable delay for V8 models.

Mediocre sport-sedan chassis.

So-so ride/handling combination for a sports sedan.

Torque curve a little peaky for my tastes (but not bad).

Temporary spare tire/wheel unbefitting a car of this class.

Funeral-home paint colors (Once again......will it ever stop?)

Overly-firm (IMO) seat cushions for a luxury car.

Ridiculous underhood layout.

Plastic (?) hood.

Rear seats don't fold down for extra cargo space.

Expensive option packages.

Battery under trunk floor with temporary spare tire.

Overly-complex (IMO) stereo/climate controls even without NAV or Tech package.

Trunk opening compromised by rear roofline.

Hidden trunk-key lock.

EXTERIOR:

No big surprises when you first walk up to this car. It is not radically or outlandishly styled, is done with some good taste (I consider it handsome), and appears, at first glance, especially in the front end, to be strongly similiar to its FWD stable-mate Hyundai Azera, as it is roughly the same overall size and shape. The Genesis does have some subtile differences, though, in the rear roofline and rear end, where the C-pillars have the familiar BMW reverse-angle look to them. The roofline, though raked like that of most newer sedans, does not intrude much into interior headroom, although it does cut into the trunk opening a little (more on both below).

The paint job, like on all newer Hyundai products, is well-done.....very close to Toyota/Lexus in quality. There is virtually no orange peel, the color is smooth and even, and is nice and glossy, although, of course, the silver paint on my test car (Platinum Metallic) naturally doesn't shine as much as dark colors do. But why are so many auto manufacturers seemingly addicted to mortuary colors, especially on sedans? Once again, in the paint color choice for this car, it is mostly shades that would put a librarian to sleep. I'm not saying that every car has to have bright oranges, yellows, and reds, but so often it is just the same dull stuff over and over again. The people who presently market auto paint colors should be given pink slips and replaced by people that actually have two eyes to see with.

OK, enough about paint hues. My job is to review cars, not just b***h about colors. All of the exterior sheet metal except the hood (see the UNDERHOOD section below) feels solid, and the doors and trunk close with a satisfyingly solid and precise "Thunk". The exterior trim and hardware was all well-done and of high quality, and the super-slick swiveling twin outside mirrors had some of the best-feeling, most precise swivel action I've experienced (many automakers, particularly American-nameplate ones, and even the new Toyota Tundra truck, use some real junk plastic for the outside mirrors). Both outside mirrors, like most upmarket vehicles today, have built-in turn signals. I found the alloy wheels on my particular test car, with the 18" Dunlop P235/50 tires (part of the $3000 Premium-Plus package), to be quite good-looking. I generally liked the looks of the whole exterior of the car, with little to complain about, and quality-wise, the exterior materials were mostly first-rate, except for possibly the hood (that's next, below).

UNDERHOOD:

I got a big surprise when I pulled the hood release and lifted up the hood. Even with the single hood gas-strut helping out, it was feather-light, and appeared to be made out of plastic (?) or fiberglass. I rapped on it with my knuckes in several different places, and it sure didn't feel or sound like a steel or aluminum hood would. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with plastic body parts, or course, but, with the exception of the Corvette and its all-fiberglass body, plastic/fiberglass parts are usually used on lower and side-body panels, not on hoods, although some pony-cars like the Dodge Challenger and tuner Mustangs use fiberglass hoods like a Corvette. Still, though, it is highly unusual to find one on a sport/luxury sedan like this one, although, with its attached underhood insulation pad, it did seem to be very effective in quelling engine and road noise (more on that below in the ON THE ROAD section).

The underhood layout is clearly one of the car's worst features....it is awful (I don't have a digital camera, and I looked for a Google image of it to post, but couldn't find one small enough to accomodate the type spacing for this review). The longitudionally-mounted 3.8L V6 has a HUGE plastic logo-trimmed cover on it that covers up EVERYTHING on the engine except a couple of dipsticks. Plastic panels cover up almost everything to both the left and right of the engine except for a couple of reservoir caps. The battery, probably because it was simply squeezed out, is back in the trunk (see the CARGO AREA/TRUNK section below). On the back of the big plastic engine cover are printed the words "Oil Filter"...........the filter itself seems to be hidden back under the cover somewhere. It also seems to be of the BMW-style canister-filter type, but I could be wrong on that, because the engine components are so hard to see and recognize under the cover. At the risk of sounding like Ralph Nader, there ought to be a law against designs like this. And Hyundai is not alone with this nonsense.........several Lexus and high-line European models are the same way, especially the Lexus LS460. Porsche, with its Boxster, is even worse.....there is no hood or engine access AT ALL.

INTERIOR:

Open the solid-feeling doors and step inside, and you have the makings of a great luxury-car interior, although there are a couple of minor shortcomings, which I'll quickly list here. The seat cushions are a little firm for my tastes; the stereo has too-complex controls/adjustments, even in the non-NAV version, and the Nav/Tech package (another $4000) has an annoying and frustrating BMW-I-Drive-type **** on the console.....and folks, that's about it. The rest of the interior ranges from good to superb. The seats are basically well-shaped and supportive, considering that this is not a hard-edged sports car. The steering column has easy-to-use buttons and power tilt/telescoping....and it raises enough for tall people. The gauges are clear and a nice, legible, back-lit white. The dash buttons are all well-shaped and marked, and feel solid and well-made. The stereo sound is superb......IMO, only the top-grade Lexus Mark Levinson stereos can beat it for sound quality (gotta have the best sound systems, now, for Judas Priest, AC/DC, and Quiet Riot.....the best music deserves the best stereos). Unusual, but classy, is the wide band of stitched brownish leather (part of an option package) that stretches across the entire width of upper dash where wood trim is put in many luxury cars. The seat leather comes in three different colors, depending on exterior color and package. The seat leather itself is classy but not quite as smooth as Lexus or Jaguar leather......it has a slightly grainy feel, about like BMW leather. The chrome, brushed-metal, polished wood, and black interior trim is all superb, and small chrome strips surround many of the interior pieces. Just about everything inside (and all the hardware) has a smooth, solid, well-made feel. The pull-up cover on the main front console has two separate, felt-lined compartments, one over the other. There are numerous comfort/convienence/memory features all throughout the cabin. Headroom and legroom are fine front and rear, even with the sunroof housing and raked roofline...it doesn't significantly cut into interior space for a 6' 2" person my size (and with my ever-present baseball cap). Adjustable vents are built into the inside of the B-pillars for additional rear-seat comfort. A sun-shade is built into the rear window, which automatically retracts when the car is put into reverse so the driver can see out the back window (the Nav/Tech package has a back-up camera in reverse).

So, for those of you who are used to Lexus interiors, you will probably have little to complain about with this one.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid-feeling rear trunk lid, and you are greeted with a pretty-good size cargo area, despite the fact that the rear seats don't fold down, and the size of the trunk opening itself, like most contemporary sedans, is limited by the swept-back rear roofline that eats into part of it. This, of course, is not a small car, and you can safely pack a good amount of luggage or packages inside. To partially compensate for the rigid rear seatbacks, a small rear-seat center pass-through, like with many other sedans, is provided to acomodate long items like skis or fishing poles....but they had better be narrow; the opening is not particularly wide. A cargo net is attached to the rear of the compartment to help hold in bags and other soft things. The cargo area is finished in a medium-gray carpet that is not particularly thick or plush-feeling, but appears to be durable and of high quality. Once again, the factory cut costs by putting a temporary spare tire/wheel assembly instead of a real one, unbefitting a car of this class, but Hyundai is not alone in doing this.....it has become all but universal with many, if not most automakers. Still, I personally feel that upmarket cars without run-flat tires should have real spares, not dummy ones or a simple compressed-air bottle. I'm going to list it as a MINUS every time I see this on an upmarket vehicle.

The battery is located with the temporary spare tire, under the floor's pull-up panel. Many cars, especially sport-oriented ones, do this for optimum weight distribution and to take weight off the front end, but in this case, given the car's less-than-sporty steering response (more on that below) I don't see why the engineers bothered to do this and use the ultra-long battery cables that are difficult to service or to replace. I don't see what difference it makes, at least on this car......today's batteries are not that heavy, and it didn't seem to make for any crisper steering reaponse from a lighter front end. My guess is that the underhood compartment was so tight as it was (see my description above) that there just wasn't more room for company up front.

One more minor complaint with the cargo compartment. Hyundai provided a separate key lock for the trunk in case the electronic interior trunk release fails (yes, it can happen), but the slot for the key itself is hidden at an almost vertical angle up under the left side of the trunk-lid moulding overhang, where it is awkward to see, feel, and use. Still, I list it as only a minor complaint, because many other cars today don't have a separate trunk lock at all. And last, to Hyundai's credit, they also provide a cable-pull T-Handle inside the trunk to pull the gas-filler door open if the interior switch or linkage for it fails. Clever idea.....I wish more cars had that. Imagine not being able to gas up because one little part fails....it's annoying enough filling up with $3.50-$4.00-gallon fuel even when the system DOES work.

ON THE ROAD:

The Genesis is generally a nice car on the road.....although the chassis/suspension could use a little more engineering (more on that in a minute). Start the 3.8L V6 with a state-or-the-art START button and the transponder key in your vicinity. With the windows up, the idle is so smooth and quiet (even more so than Mazda's rotary engine) that you wouldn't know it from a number of Lexus vehicles. It is very difficult to tell, apart from the tachometer and the electroluminescent white gauge backighting, if the engine is running at all. I didn't see one listed on the spec sheet, but my guess is that it has a Lexus-type cutout for the starter motor so that you don't accidentally grind it up trying to start an engine that is already idling.

Once warmed up and on the road, this is a very nice V6....smooth, almost eerie-quiet, and reasonably powerful (290 HP and 264 ft-lbs torque), though the torque curve is just a little (not much) peaky for my tastes. Response is a little flat below 3000 RPM, but then torque picks up a little over 3000 and you then get a mild shove in the back as it climbs towards its 4500-RPM peak (I didn't go over that, of course, since it was a new engine, and with 4500 as the torque peak, there was little need to). And the exhaust note was quiet at all tested speeds and acceleration, just the way I like it.......none of that annoying drone and chuffle that plagues a lot of cars when you give it some gas. However, this is not quite the same 3.8L V6 that is used in the FWD Azera and some other Hyundai products...it has been re-engineered for RWD and longitudional configuration. I feel that this engine has enough spunk, especially at higher RPM, and is impressively smooth/quiet enough, that, unless you are a speed freak, the upcoming 4.6L V8's extra HP (375) and torque (333 ft-lbs.) are not necessary, though its MPG ratings are only 1-2 MPG lower. The V6 burns regular; the V8 can run on either premium or regular (at slight power loss with regular).

The 6-speed SHIFTRONIC Sport-Shift automatic was also a nice piece of engineering. The nice, polished-wood-trimmed shift lever had pretty much the same slick, smooth, snappy action that other Hyundai shifters do, and the transmission itself was quiet, slick, and shifted smoothly yet crisply, without a sluggish power/RPM loss. It has a manual-shift gate, of course, with the same smooth, crisp action.

So, in a word, this V6 powertrain, and its refinement, would do a V6 Lexus proud.

So would the noise isolation. This car rides Lexus-quiet, even with the aforementioned lightweight plastic hood over the engine. The Genesis is noticeably more quiet on just about any road surface than its corporate brother Azera, Hyundai's previous U.S.-market flagship. Hyundai has taken some criticism from Consumer Reports and some of those in the automotive press about road/tire/suspension noise in some of its recent products (I partially but do not totally agree), and it is clear that engineers worked overtime on this car's noise suppression. Engine noise, wind whistle, noise-absorbing glass, tire whine, thumps from the suspension...all of this, and more, have been dealt with superbly. While I did not have a decibel/sone meter with me to actually measure sound, to my ears, the only car I've driven lately that seemed quieter was the Lexus LS460, which, IMO, really says something for this car's noise engineers.

The engineers also seem to have worked overtime on the brakes, seemingly using BMW as their target. While the brakes don't quite haul the car down in Porsche 911-type stopping distances (at least in the conditions I used them), they are extremely close to the well-known BMW firmness and immediate response, with virtually no slop or sponginess. Blindfolded, and with only the sensations of my right foot/toes to go by, I'd be hard-pressed to tell if I was braking a Genesis or a BMW 3 or 5-series. And to top it off, the pedal was well-placed next to the gas pedal.....none of the size-15/clown-shoe hang-ups with my big feet that I get with poorly-placed brake pedals in some vehicles.

Unfortunately, the superb engineering of the drivetrain, noise isolation, and brakes did not seem to carry over into the suspension and steering gear, which, in some ways was a letdown. The handling was not particularly responsive, especially for a sport/luxury sedan, with noticeable understeer and some body roll, even with the optional wheel/tire package on my test car. You won't confuse it with a Lincoln Town car, but neither is it of sport-sedan quickness or flatness. Now, normally, in most passenger cars, with a slow-response suspension/steering system, you would expect a relatively smooth, plush ride to compensate. Most vehicles (or at least a clear majority) have a ride/handling balance or tradeoff. More of one usually means less of the other, even with electronically adjustable suspensions.....it can't be both soft and firm at the same time (BMW, Mercedes and GM Magna-Ride suspensions are some of the best compromises). Fortunately, steering effort, while not BMW-firm, is not as novicane-numb as in, say, the Hyundai Veracruz either.

Somehow, though, the Genesis manages to combine a rather mediocre chassis combination, especially for a sport sedan. While, as I said earlier, the car's noise isolation on the road is superb, the suspension and steering combines relatively slow steering response/body roll with a firm ride to boot.....the opposite of what you normally find, and a sign of a lack of sophistication in the chassis design. The car's ride is not harsh or really uncomfortable, and you certainly don't hear the bumps, but you DO feel them. The V6 Genesis, IMO, not the car to get if you want German-sedan chassis sophistication (I, of course, don't know what the V8's chassis is like).

THE VERDICT:

Hyundai, for its new U.S. market flagship, has come up with a nice sport/luxury sedan that I'd place more towards the luxury end of the spectrum. The styling (IMO), exterior/interior quality of materials, fit/finish, engine, transmission, stereo, noise isolation, brake-feel and trunk room are all first-rate, and the equal or better of many Lexus products, which was its obvious goal. The upcoming V8 model (once Hyundai finally gets them to dealerships) promises even better drivetrain power and sophistication, though IMO it is not necessary.

But this Lexus competitor, especially with the expensive option packages, also comes at a healthy, Lexus-like price, which roughly equals that of the ES350 and some versions of the IS, RX, and GS models. You obviously won't find an Accent/Elantra price tag on it, nor should you, with all the features this car has to offer. And, of course, as with any car, some improvements are needed. The car's main shortcoming, IMO, is the mediocre ride/steering/handling combination of the chassis and suspension, but it also needs less-complex stereo adjustments, even in the non-NAV versions. The underhood layout, another major shortcoming, is a joke......one can only wonder what the V8 will be like underhood. Hyundai needs to toss that big engine cover and the smaller plastic covers next to it that hide everything. And, yes, put a real spare tire/wheel in the trunk, and put the trunk-mounted battery back up front where it belongs.

But, in the meantime, even with a few shortcomings, those who have wanted a Hyundai-badged Lexus have just gotten their prayers answered. Happy Shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-08 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-25-08, 09:27 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While an interesting review, you should title this thread "Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan"

Last edited by pagemaster; 08-25-08 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 09:55 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why?

I have not driven a 4.6. They are not available yet in my area.

I got enough requests for a Genesis review that I figured it was better to go ahead and do the 3.8 while I could. I can always check-drive a 4.6 later (and post a quick update) when they are finally available.

And I'll also repeat here, as I did in the review, that I'm not sure the 4.6 is needed for most uses....the 3.8, IMO, is pretty nicely done.
My mistake. See my last edited post.
Old 08-25-08, 09:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome review Mike!

I am quite interested in the Genesis, not because I am a potential buyer, but because I wonder if such potential buyers of Lexus (especially ES and GS buyers) can be swayed into the Hyundai brand.

Your review has many references to Lexus, and it seems that is the primary goal for Hyundai. I doubt Hyundai was targetting BMW or Mercedes; the sport aspect of the ride simply does not shine through.

I guess my question is: Should Lexus be worried?

Also, for people that spend $40+k on vehicles, do you think brand image is important enough to pay for the extra premium? Compared to a GS, the Genesis is about $5k less. Although brand image is not an important aspect with most reviews, it does affect how buyers look at comparable cars.

From your experience, do you think the general public will embrace the Genesis if they can get a Lexus or Infiniti for a bit more?
Old 08-25-08, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Wow, great review, I was waiting for this one. So to you, the "value" wasn't there as much as you thought?

Old 08-25-08, 10:48 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Great Review!

I agree with you on most parts of your critique.

Just to eliminate any doubt. The oil filter is bmw styled under the engine cover. The engine cover has no bolts/screws, it just uses 4 or 6 pressure point clip type things.

I work at a Hyundai dealer and have been looking/driving the car for a few weeks now to see how it is. You were also dead on with the fact that were getting the V8 4.6s at the end of September

Well done !

PS. But again, its going to take a couple of years for people to actually trust Hyundai with 35k-45k+ in a luxury car. If Hyundai continues the way it has been going, it will certainly accomplish that task. Just my opinion from what I hear from Hyundai customers daily.

Last edited by Rollin'ES3; 08-25-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 10:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Amazing review. I've been waiting to read this one for a while. Seems like Hyundai really did their homework with this one minues some issues that you stated which imo can be corrected with the next generation model. after all, it's really hard to perfect something in one shot.
Old 08-26-08, 12:24 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Review!
All these discussions/debates/reviews (good or bad) going on in numerous online forums and in the magazines just proves that Hyundai has released a car that has jolted the market.
Old 08-26-08, 02:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
While an interesting review, you should title this thread "Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan"
OK...Done. But I can only change it in my box, not on the regular Forum List.
Old 08-26-08, 02:18 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Good review.

IMO, they priced the V8 just right ($42k fully loaded). It's only $2000 more expensive than a similarly featured V6 ($40k fully loaded).

But the V6 is price too high. It should have a base price of $29,000, not $32,000.
Old 08-26-08, 02:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Awesome review Mike!
Thanks.

I am quite interested in the Genesis, not because I am a potential buyer, but because I wonder if such potential buyers of Lexus (especially ES and GS buyers) can be swayed into the Hyundai brand.
Well, you seem to be setting an example.

Your review has many references to Lexus, and it seems that is the primary goal for Hyundai. I doubt Hyundai was targetting BMW or Mercedes; the sport aspect of the ride simply does not shine through.

I guess my question is: Should Lexus be worried?
The Genesis won't drive Lexus out of buisness, but, IMO, it is the RWD equal of the present ES350, and then some. I'm not sure I'd take one over the older ES330, however, which was a superb car. And the Lexus IS250 and GS350 models, of course, offer the AWD option that the Genesis doesn't....an important consideration.

Also, for people that spend $40+k on vehicles, do you think brand image is important enough to pay for the extra premium? Compared to a GS, the Genesis is about $5k less. Although brand image is not an important aspect with most reviews, it does affect how buyers look at comparable cars.
Personally, brand image doesn't sway me one bit. You know my posts and reviews well enough to see how much I've written about that. My view is that you spend your money on a car, not an image, and what really matters is what that vehicle, not image, gives you for your money.......how well it is built, how well it drives, how well it serves ones' needs, and if it is worth the money it costs.

But, unfortunately, brand image DOES seem to matter to a lot of people.....and many base their buying or leasing decisions primarily on the company symbol or logo on the grille.

From your experience, do you think the general public will embrace the Genesis if they can get a Lexus or Infiniti for a bit more?
With the economy like it is today, maybe. I know that's a somewhat evasive and indecisive answer (and I'm not known for evasive answers). Lexus, though, is firmly established in the American marketplace is a producer of luxury cars; Hyundai isn't (yet), despite the good reliability and test results from Consumer Reports on the Hyundai Azera. The public has strongly accepted the new Sonata........it is selling extremely well in my area. The larger, more expensive Azera lags by a significant amount. Many people just don't think Hyundai or Kia when they think upmarket vehicles, although they are certainly there.

For me, it wouldn't make a difference, but for many other people, the Genesis, IMO, might have a better chance of selling if Hyundai went ahead with a new upmarket division like Toyota did with Lexus and Nissan did with Infiniti. Mazda lost a lot of Millenia sales, with its unique Miller-cycle engine, because it never went ahead with its planned Amati upmarket division....the car was eventually dropped.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-08 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 02:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, great review,
Thanks.

I was waiting for this one. So to you, the "value" wasn't there as much as you thought?
Yes and no. Lexus, for roughly the same price, offers vehicles that have done, for a long time, what Hyundai is just starting to do now, and BMW offers vehicles that are clearly better than the Genesis in the suspension/steering department. But the Genesis does offer superb interior quality, a Lexus-quiet ride, a refined drivetrain, and one of the longest warranities in the buisness. The Hyundai warranty alone, IMO, is a significant value point in comparison....repairs to a Lexus or BMW after the warranty or free service has expired can cost big $$$$$.
Old 08-26-08, 02:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
Great Review!
Thanks.

I agree with you on most parts of your critique.

Just to eliminate any doubt. The oil filter is bmw styled under the engine cover. The engine cover has no bolts/screws, it just uses 4 or 6 pressure point clip type things.
Yes, I noticed that in the review.......it DID look like a BMW-type canister filter.

That POS of a cover is the first thing I'd toss if I owned this car. And have you noticed that in (not in the Genesis), but in other Hyundais with transverse-mounted V6s, the engine cover is actually turned 90 degrees....fore and aft.....to make you THINK it is a longitudinal-mounted engine? Sure didn't fool me.

I work at a Hyundai dealer and have been looking/driving the car for a few weeks now to see how it is. You were also dead on with the fact that were getting the V8 4.6s at the end of September
Why the delay? The 3.8 has been on sale awhile, and the auto press has plenty of 4.6s to review. Perhaps, as a member of the Hyundai team, the company reps will tell you things they won't tell us. I'm thinking it may be because of gas prices.....but the 4.6 and 3.8 have EPA mileage ratings that are pretty close to each other.

Well done !
Again, thanks.

PS. But again, its going to take a couple of years for people to actually trust Hyundai with 35k-45k+ in a luxury car. If Hyundai continues the way it has been going, it will certainly accomplish that task. Just my opinion from what I hear from Hyundai customers daily.
Yep. You can lead a horse to water, but the horse has got to be thirsty first.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-08 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 02:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Amazing review.
Thanks. I put a lot of time and effort into my reviews.

I've been waiting to read this one for a while. Seems like Hyundai really did their homework with this one minues some issues that you stated which imo can be corrected with the next generation model. after all, it's really hard to perfect something in one shot.
Hyundai has been doing their homework for years now, but their suspension/chassis engineers are not quite up to those of BMW or Mercedes.

But the reliability of many BMW and Mercedes models, though (not all of them), has been under par......something that can't necessarily be said for newer Hyundais.
Old 08-26-08, 03:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cloud9
Great Review!
Thanks.

All these discussions/debates/reviews (good or bad) going on in numerous online forums and in the magazines just proves that Hyundai has released a car that has jolted the market.
It didn't necessarily jolt US........as car enthusiasts, we, of course, knew it was coming. But, when Mr. and Mrs. General Public walk into a Hyundai dealership or auto show and see this car for the first time, THEY might notice.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan