Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next MX-5 "will be radical"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My thoughts? Leave the MX-5 as is and bring back a MX-3 or something of that nature to be radical!
Not a bad idea. I generally have to agree. But, if they bring back the MX-3, this time, they need to get it right. Unlike the superb Miata, the MX-3 had some serious shortcomings right from the start. The world's smallest production V6 (1.8L), was absurdly short on torque (a three-cylinder Geo Metro felt stronger below 4000 RPM, not to mention the MX-3's own standard 4-cylinder). The body sheet metal, and especially the roof, was like a tin can. I can remember test-driving a MX-3 in light rain, with raindrops sounding like acorns hitting the roof. And the wrap-around rear seats (more or less a miniature version of those found in mid-60s Ford Thunderbirds) were unsuitable for even small children......IMO, Mazda should have just left them off and made the MX-3 a FWD 2-seater coupe like the Honda CRX.
Old 08-27-08, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Pretty much agree with you.

BTW, since when you changed your screen name back? I like 1Sicklex much better than goat!
Thanks. I still got love for goats, I think I changed it Sunday

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not a bad idea. I generally have to agree. But, if they bring back the MX-3, this time, they need to get it right. Unlike the superb Miata, the MX-3 had some serious shortcomings right from the start. The world's smallest production V6 (1.8L), was absurdly short on torque (a three-cylinder Geo Metro felt stronger below 4000 RPM, not to mention the MX-3's own standard 4-cylinder). The body sheet metal, and especially the roof, was like a tin can. I can remember test-driving a MX-3 in light rain, with raindrops sounding like acorns hitting the roof. And the wrap-around rear seats (more or less a miniature version of those found in mid-60s Ford Thunderbirds) were unsuitable for even small children......IMO, Mazda should have just left them off and made the MX-3 a FWD 2-seater coupe like the Honda CRX.
Good points here.

THis is the car for people that may not know what we are talking about

Old 08-27-08, 08:29 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife owns an NA. I love that thing!

I was thinking last night as I was watching the Rotary episode of the dreaded "101 Cars You Must Drive," how fresh would it be to drop the RX-8 Renesis into a Miata chassis? It could possibly just be an option to the standard motor.
Old 08-27-08, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It needs more space for the stuff
NO! It's a light sports car and the current (NC) is already quite a lot roomier than the prior ones. I routinely put a week's worth of groceries in the trunk. I've taken PCs and large flat panel displays in it. It has room enough for a long weekend getaway.

For larger hauls I use my SUV.

and better yet more economic engines.
It gets 30mpg even if I drive it like I stole it.

But sure, direct injection, more sophisticated valve control, and other improvements can be made, and would be great.
Old 08-27-08, 09:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though the Solstice/Sky are fun cars, compare their build quality to a Miata....there, they are worlds apart. The Miata wins, hands-down. And, usually, the Miata's manual top can be flipped up and down, from the driver's seat, with just one flick of the wrist and arm, right over your head. With the Solstice/Sky, you must stop the car, put the transmission in neutral or park, apply the hand brake, get out, go through a 5 or 6-step action to raise or lower the hood......IMO, a pain in the a**. And, as yet (though I could be wrong on this), I don't think they don't have a power-top option. The Miata does...but the manual top is so simple that, for most people, the power option is probably not needed.
As usual, you're completely right. I looked at the power top before I bought the cloth top but as you say, the cloth top is SO simple (up or down in 5 seconds) and so well designed, and of course the cloth top car is cheaper, I went for that.

My MX-5 is a joy to drive. Completely reliable. Cheap to maintain. Cheap to modify. Still has enough features like heated seats, satellite radio, stability control, and HIDs...
Old 08-28-08, 02:33 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As usual, you're completely right. I looked at the power top before I bought the cloth top but as you say, the cloth top is SO simple (up or down in 5 seconds) and so well designed, and of course the cloth top car is cheaper, I went for that.

My MX-5 is a joy to drive. Completely reliable. Cheap to maintain. Cheap to modify. Still has enough features like heated seats, satellite radio, stability control, and HIDs...
I would like to see a complete hardtop option. I dislike convertibles/roadsters. And I think hardtop convertibles add too much weight to something that's supposed to sporty.
Old 08-28-08, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I would like to see a complete hardtop option. I dislike convertibles/roadsters.
Miatas used to offer an accessory bolt-on hardtop, painted to match body color....I believe that is still the case. That may or may not satisfy your requirement for a "complete" hardtop.

And I think hardtop convertibles add too much weight to something that's supposed to sporty.
Agreed, to an extent............but they are sure nice to have (until the power-top mechanism fails just as a big storm is coming up )