Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next MX-5 "will be radical"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 11:05 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Next MX-5 "will be radical"

Mazda’s design boss has told Autocar that the company is planning a radical rethink of the MX-5.

“The next MX-5 needs to be a big step,” Lauren Van den Acker said. “The last one was too conservative and we can’t do another car like that. We need to make it more dramatic and give it some *****.”

However, Van den Acker admitted that nothing would be done to change the MX-5’s core character. The fourth-generation car, due to appear in around 2012, will still be a no-nonsense small rear-drive roadster, albeit probably lighter and more fuel-efficient than the current model.

Another senior Mazda designer told us that while there has been lots of internal debate about the future of the company’s iconic roadster, no final decision has yet been taken on what it will look like. “Last time round [designing the current car] we came up with lots of radical proposals and we may reignite one of those,” said our insider. Another Mazda designer admitted that the intention was for the MX-5 to stop being completely different from the rest of the line-up, hinting that the likes of the Kazarai concept car will influence its design.

In the meantime the current MX-5 will have at least one facelift before it is replaced. Leaked patent documents showed recently that the forthcoming visual makeover is a very minor one. It will make its official debut at the Paris motor show in October.

Chas Hallett

Old 08-26-08, 11:44 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmm, perhaps a high performance turbo/supercharged 4 cylinder engine in the next MX-5, with some radical styling to set it apart from the pack? Might be interesting.
Old 08-27-08, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Mazda’s design boss has told Autocar that the company is planning a radical rethink of the MX-5.

“The next MX-5 needs to be a big step,” Lauren Van den Acker said. “The last one was too conservative and we can’t do another car like that. We need to make it more dramatic and give it some *****.”
DON'T mess with success, guys.

The last car was NOT too conservative. If it was, it would have not gone on to become the best-selling roadster in history.

The public voted on that car........with their hearts and their wallets (right, Paul? ). Offer maybe another MazdaSpeed turbo version at the most. Screw around too much with it and sales will dry up like the RX-7 did in the mid-1990's.
Old 08-27-08, 06:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I love mine but yes Mike I don't see a need to be too radical.

Less weight and a little more power is always good though!
Old 08-27-08, 06:52 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Less weight and a little more power is always good though!
club racer version please
Old 08-27-08, 07:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

definely needs to be something different, as sales for these types of cars are falling down worldwide. It needs more space for the stuff and better yet more economic engines.
Old 08-27-08, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
definely needs to be something different, as sales for these types of cars are falling down worldwide. It needs more space for the stuff and better yet more economic engines.
I disagree. Why mess with success? That is how GM ruined Saturn, and how Subaru is also getting messed up. Falling sales or not, the Miata has been the most successful roadster in history....the way it was. This idea that cars have to change just for the sake of change is nonsense.

That is why Hyundai, lately, has become such a smashing success. They don't change their cars or the styling radically, and keep them conservative, but keep on improving the quality underneath....the important part.
Old 08-27-08, 09:20 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the next Miata needs to be "radical", I just think they need to inject some more styling into it. Solstice...Sky....nice looking cars with great styling.
Old 08-27-08, 09:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

They need to keep the size where it's at. No need to pig it out like all of the other cars nowadays.
Old 08-27-08, 09:33 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats really wrong with the current one? My manager has a new one, its very nice.
Old 08-27-08, 11:07 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sales are falling because of a couple of factors, largest one being these types of cars are usually bought for the purpose of being a second car or 'fun' car. People have been feeling the financial pinches of less disposable income. So sales of these toys have gone down.

Another factor, effecting the MX-5, is the increased competition from GM with their Solstice and Sky. Honda's S2000 and BMW's Z3 (when released) were considered competition at first. It was then realized the Honda and BMW were targeted at a different buyer (read: 'more money in the bank) than the Miata that still had a base price well below $20K. Solstice and Sky are different and are direct price tag competition.

Mazda has had success with the MX-5 since it's introduction late 1989 as the 1990 model. It has at it's core simple criteria: RWD, light weight, great handling, and cheap(er)

Mazda doesn't need to screw to much with the styling. I found the NC (the current model) to be much different than the previous NB yet have a throw back look similar to the NA. Mazda's definition of 'radical' may be quite different than what we deem 'radical'

I do believe they have somewhat missed the boat on not releasing a Mazdaspeed version of the NC to date. Rumors had feverishly abounded about placing the 2.3L turbo under the hood and, unfortunately, Mazda announed the MSNC was officially dead due to technical reasons.

Perhaps with the ND they will allot for the necessary room for the snail, intercooler, and other bits allowing for a few iterations over it's model term. One can only hope.
Old 08-27-08, 01:17 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I don't think the next Miata needs to be "radical", I just think they need to inject some more styling into it. Solstice...Sky....nice looking cars with great styling.
Considering Mazda stole the Solstice exterior designer, Franz von Holzhausen, and put him in charge of design, I expect some nice looking designs just like the Sky and Solstice.

UPDATE, looks like Tesla stole him now, no longer at Mazda, that guy gets around.

Last edited by toy4two; 08-27-08 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
Considering Mazda stole the Solstice exterior designer, Franz von Holzhausen, and put him in charge of design, I expect some nice looking designs just like the Sky and Solstice.

Though the Solstice/Sky are fun cars, compare their build quality to a Miata....there, they are worlds apart. The Miata wins, hands-down. And, usually, the Miata's manual top can be flipped up and down, from the driver's seat, with just one flick of the wrist and arm, right over your head. With the Solstice/Sky, you must stop the car, put the transmission in neutral or park, apply the hand brake, get out, go through a 5 or 6-step action to raise or lower the hood......IMO, a pain in the a**. And, as yet (though I could be wrong on this), I don't think they don't have a power-top option. The Miata does...but the manual top is so simple that, for most people, the power option is probably not needed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-08 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 03:12 PM
LexFather

On one hand I want they to be evolutionary but the MX-5 is rather "staid" compared to the GM cars, S2000 etc. Though IMO, the current MX-5 is pretty hot stock and has GREAT proportions with a damn good interior.

On the other hand, Mazda has some pretty daring designs and promises to get more daring, why leave the MX-5 out the mix?

My thoughts? Leave the MX-5 as is and bring back a MX-3 or something of that nature to be radical!

Old 08-27-08, 03:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much agree with you.

BTW, since when you changed your screen name back? I like 1Sicklex much better than goat!

Quick Reply: Next MX-5 "will be radical"