Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS convertible & hatchback new rendering

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 11:17 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS convertible & hatchback new rendering

not much diff from prev ones seen but this one is in decent quality

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...rio-and-hatch/

the hatchback looks a bit strange to me
did they steal the rear of a VW GTI for this photoshop?

The secret about Lexus’ upcoming convertible hardtop IS variants has been out for some time now, with spy photos and registered names tipping the company’s hand. The latest news of the Japanese carmaker’s plans for its entry-level luxury sedan indicate the high-powered IS-F will not be included in the drop-top debut.

Given the success of the IS, Lexus is likely to add even more variants down the road, including a new sporty new hatchback. Until then, however, the coupe-cabriolet will carry the new-model mantle. As the preview renderings below show, the car’s folding hardtop lines will remain very close to the standard sedan’s, but once the top is down, the car’s open top and two-door design give it a very different character.

The all-electric operation of the convertible top will ensure luxury-focused Lexus owners will have the automatic functionality they’ve come to expect from the brand. Speculation about the engines that will power the IS250C and IS350C, as name registrations indicate they will be called, include the petrol V6 as the most likely candidate, reports AutoTelegraaf. Due for a 2009 debut in the United States, likely at the Detroit Auto Show, the IS coupe-cabriolet will see sales in Europe shortly afterward, followed by the rest of the world. Specifications and equipment are expected to mirror the sedan’s.

Although Lexus is yet to confirm the development of a hatch, there were previous reports claiming a new entry-level model priced below $30,000 was in the works. This car is unlikely to be launched in North America but in Europe the car could go up against strong sellers like the BMW 1-series and Audi A3.
Old 08-27-08, 11:28 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This feels like its been going on forever to me. Isn't it getting a little late in the model cycle to introduce significant variants. When is the FMC for the IS anyways?
Old 08-27-08, 11:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those photoshopped images have been around for several seasons now.

Lexus/Toyota is very secretive with such plans. I really wonder if they will come out with something minimally official, rather than guesses by magazines, or photoshops by bored college kids...
Old 08-27-08, 11:50 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Those have been posted here before actually, I want to see actual production pictures though! Seeing we're already in the fourth year of the current model I doubt it will become a realty at this point.
Old 08-27-08, 01:41 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

still waiting
Old 08-27-08, 01:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/08/27...-in-the-works/

Lexus IS Convertible coming next year, lightweight IS-F in the works
Posted: August 27th, 2008

According to AutoTelegraaf, the first Lexus IS-F Convertible will come to the U.S. market next year. A diesel model has not yet been ruled out but Lexus has confirmed that it will not produce a drop-top 416-hp IS-F.

The Lexus IS Convertible will have a folding fully electric hardtop roof like the SC with an IS250 C and the IS 350 C badging on the back. The Japanese automaker says that it just doesn’t make business sense for it to offer a convertible IS-F.

Lexus also announced that it has no plans to build a GS-F - a high performance version of its GS mid-sized sedan. However, a lightweight IS-F is in the works. The model is currently undergoing testing and engineers have applied a lot of weight-saving techniques to the model.
Old 08-27-08, 02:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^Again, all guesses.

And in fact, they contradicted their own report. The first sentence said that there will be a convertible IS-F, and the second paragraph said that Toyota was not going to do it...

Old 08-27-08, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Just sell the damn cars already...

Old 08-27-08, 03:49 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

With Infiniti already announcing adding the G37 Coupe Convertible and the Sedan getting the 3.7L V6, i don't see any good signs with the late announcements of the IS anymore.. it's a shame unless the IS can get more power..
Old 08-27-08, 04:02 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Convertible and coupe are great, hatchback is no no.
Old 08-28-08, 01:29 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
With Infiniti already announcing adding the G37 Coupe Convertible and the Sedan getting the 3.7L V6, i don't see any good signs with the late announcements of the IS anymore.. it's a shame unless the IS can get more power..
the difference is that with infiniti/nissan what they say usually happens. ill believe that lexus is making a convertible when i see it a dealership. if the coupe even comes out ill be surprised. afterall this is the same company who has been working on the LF-A for how many years now? by the time it actually comes out the GTR will already have a V=spec model out and will probably be on its way to the midcycle refresh.
Old 08-28-08, 04:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I agree. I don't think we'll ever see a 2IS coupe or convertible. I'd be surprised.
Old 08-28-08, 05:19 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think they will make the coupe look exactly like the sedan.
Old 08-28-08, 06:14 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh man that hatchback is screaming NO!
Old 08-28-08, 07:11 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I get the convertible, but why the hatchback? If that's Lexus' answer to "make a coupe" they are setting themselves up for a huge failure.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS convertible & hatchback new rendering