Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new king of the ring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 05:43 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
The ZR1 ran a 7:26 and is FAR more comfortable to drive and isn't stripped at all - in fact it's more lux'd up than the Z06.

While that's still technically slower, for 4 extra seconds I'll take the ZR1 every time.
what exactly do you mean by "stripped"? the zr1 weighs less than the ACR....they both come with the same options....radio,a/c....the acr even has cupholders...the zr1 is carbon fiber almost everything. the acr is NA...the zr1 is supercharged. the damn r35 is TT AWD for gods sake! all three are "track" cars....why is everyone hating just because the acr shattered the comp?
Old 08-28-08, 08:49 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
what exactly do you mean by "stripped"? the zr1 weighs less than the ACR....they both come with the same options....radio,a/c....the acr even has cupholders...the zr1 is carbon fiber almost everything. the acr is NA...the zr1 is supercharged. the damn r35 is TT AWD for gods sake! all three are "track" cars....why is everyone hating just because the acr shattered the comp?
Uh... the ACR hard core package (which is what was in that video) has:
No sound system at all and of course no nav
No trunk carpet
No hood pad
Dramatically reduced sound insulation and heat shielding between the engine bay and cockpit
manual climate control
Extremely stiff race suspension that would cause daily driving on normal roads to be headache inducing.

The ZR1 on the other hand offers full carpeting, sound deadening, bose sound system, xm, bluetooth, available nav, leather covered dash, magneto rhetorical automatically variable dynamically adjustable (for comfort or sport) suspension as comfortable as the regular C6 (by most reviews quite a bit more comfortable than the Z06), full automatic dual zone climate control, choice of auto or manual, full air bags, heads up display, etc. It's every bit as daily drivable as the regular C6.

That can't at all be said for the Viper ACR HCP in that vid.

Last edited by Threxx; 08-28-08 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 09:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I jsut looked up the MSRP on one of these bad boys. At the price tag of 98k, it's not bad at all. I rather get this over GTR if I have a bunch of cars and a nice daily driver than a GTR. This is pure American raw power.
Old 08-28-08, 09:07 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Uh... the ACR hard core package (which is what was in that video) has:
No sound system at all and of course no nav
No trunk carpet
No hood pad
Dramatically reduced sound insulation and heat shielding between the engine bay and cockpit
manual climate control
Extremely stiff race suspension that would cause daily driving on normal roads to be headache inducing.

The ZR1 on the other hand offers full carpeting, sound deadening, bose sound system, xm, bluetooth, available nav, leather covered dash, magneto rhetorical automatically variable dynamically adjustable (for comfort or sport) suspension as comfortable as the regular C6 (by most reviews quite a bit more comfortable than the Z06), full automatic dual zone climate control, choice of auto or manual, full air bags, heads up display, etc. It's every bit as daily drivable as the regular C6.

That can't at all be said for the Viper ACR HCP in that vid.

The optional Hard Core package reduces the weight 40 pounds! wow....40 lbs is almost nothing! the acr will turn more heads than a zr1....it also costs less....corvette interiors are garbage but who really cares about the interior anyway! the zr1 is still lighter! anywho, it really depends what you want....if you want a "nice" interior thats fine...i know what i want....RAW performance aka '08 viper acr.
Old 08-28-08, 09:25 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The optional Hard Core package reduces the weight 40 pounds! wow....40 lbs is almost nothing! the acr will turn more heads than a zr1....it also costs less....corvette interiors are garbage but who really cares about the interior anyway! the zr1 is still lighter! anywho, it really depends what you want....if you want a "nice" interior thats fine...i know what i want....RAW performance aka '08 viper acr.
The Viper ACR HCP MSRPs at $100,925 bottom line on the sticker. That's all of a couple thousand less than the ZR1.

It also does quite a bit more than reduce weight by 40 pounds... it by default includes the competition group package which significantly modifies the aerodynamics, brakes, tires, and suspension on the Viper.

I can't believe you just called the Vette interior garbage in the light of the Viper. I have to question if you've ever even had seat time in a Viper before... their interiors are NOT impressive... very plasticky corporate Chrysler feel to them, extremely loud, and very hot. Not that I'd say the ZR1's interior is that much better but to call the Vette interior garbage in comparison to the Viper's is to show extreme bias or ignorance IMO.

I'll agree that the Viper will turn more heads if that's what you're looking for, though I think the ZR1 will become more of a collector's car in the long run and be more sought after a few decades from now.

If raw performance is your only goal then the ACR HCP is obviously the best choice since it is ultimately faster. I only said in the beginning what everybody else has been saying about the GTR... it's just a bit slower and so much more comfortable to daily drive. The ZR1 is even faster around the ring than the GTR and is very daily drivable, too.

By the way if instead of a few seconds on the ring you'd prefer a few tenths on the 1/4-mile track, the ZR1 is faster in a straight line than the Viper ACR... ZR1 runs low 11s @ low 130s mph while the ACR runs high 11s at mid to high 120s.

There's raw performance for ya.
Old 08-28-08, 09:35 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Are you talking about running? I don't think anyone has broken a 1 minute mile yet. That is awfully fast
1 minute mile is fast
Old 08-28-08, 09:50 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

The Viper ACR HCP MSRPs at $100,925 bottom line on the sticker. That's all of a couple thousand less than the ZR1.

It also does quite a bit more than reduce weight by 40 pounds... it by default includes the competition group package which significantly modifies the aerodynamics, brakes, tires, and suspension on the Viper.

I can't believe you just called the Vette interior garbage in the light of the Viper. I have to question if you've ever even had seat time in a Viper before... their interiors are NOT impressive... very plasticky corporate Chrysler feel to them, extremely loud, and very hot. Not that I'd say the ZR1's interior is that much better but to call the Vette interior garbage in comparison to the Viper's is to show extreme bias or ignorance IMO.

I'll agree that the Viper will turn more heads if that's what you're looking for, though I think the ZR1 will become more of a collector's car in the long run and be more sought after a few decades from now.

If raw performance is your only goal then the ACR HCP is obviously the best choice since it is ultimately faster. I only said in the beginning what everybody else has been saying about the GTR... it's just a bit slower and so much more comfortable to daily drive. The ZR1 is even faster around the ring than the GTR and is very daily drivable, too.

By the way if instead of a few seconds on the ring you'd prefer a few tenths on the 1/4-mile track, the ZR1 is faster in a straight line than the Viper ACR... ZR1 runs low 11s @ low 130s mph while the ACR runs high 11s at mid to high 120s.

There's raw performance for ya.
first of all, pay attention to detail....
never did i compare the vipers interior with the corvettes...i simply said the corvette interior is GARBAGE! thats right G A R B A G E....last time i checked, studdering is not contingent through text...if you want a nice interior, go buy a ferrari or a damn living room set. and yes the vipers interior has a "very plasticky corporate Chrysler feel to them, extremely loud, and very hot"..whatever blah blah...once again, vipers are raw...R-A-W. i wanna hear my damn engine roar! real quick: vipers hold their value better, they are built better and some can say that they perform better than corvettes...which it does in comparo with the acr and zr1. i can agree with you that the r35 and zr1 are great for DD's but look at the title to this thread again. if youre hating on the viper for shattering the current comp and record, then hate on mr phelps too....the viper simply out performed.....if you wanna talk details or compare, start another thread
Old 08-29-08, 03:03 AM
MazdaSteve
Driver School Candidate

....haters
Hehe, noo, I think the Viper is cool. It's just that, I think the halo exotic car of a company should be a showcase of the company's technology. It should have something that trickles down to lesser cars. The Viper didn't have that, it didn't offer anything across the board, which is why it will be discontinued. Even the Corvette shares it's engine with a Cadillac.

The GTR, it is what it is, and it will help Nissan further develop other cars in it's lineup. And think about what it could do with serious aerodynamic parts, tuneable suspension and such.

In the comparo, when the ACR whupped every other car in Willow Springs, they had an engineer at hand to tune the suspension according to the different layouts they were going to use. It's a serious track car, that was able to beat a 4000 lb. pig on the ring by 5 seconds, that's what I meant by meh, that's all. It's great, but not incredible when you compare and consider what the GTR is, a 2+2 GT with luxury appointments.
Old 08-29-08, 03:07 AM
MazdaSteve
Driver School Candidate

first of all, pay attention to detail....
never did i compare the vipers interior with the corvettes...i simply said the corvette interior is GARBAGE! thats right G A R B A G E....last time i checked, studdering is not contingent through text...if you want a nice interior, go buy a ferrari or a damn living room set. and yes the vipers interior has a "very plasticky corporate Chrysler feel to them, extremely loud, and very hot"..whatever blah blah...once again, vipers are raw...R-A-W. i wanna hear my damn engine roar! real quick: vipers hold their value better, they are built better and some can say that they perform better than corvettes...which it does in comparo with the acr and zr1. i can agree with you that the r35 and zr1 are great for DD's but look at the title to this thread again. if youre hating on the viper for shattering the current comp and record, then hate on mr phelps too....the viper simply out performed.....if you wanna talk details or compare, start another thread

Wow, I replied to your hater post, but read the other ones afterwards, and all I gotta say is damn, take a chill pill! I think all he's implying is that how is it that the Vette is garbage, but the Viper is raw even though it has a similar fault? That doesn't make sense. A little biased, no?
Old 08-29-08, 03:55 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....corvette interiors are garbage
Garbage? You want to see garbage? Just look at an ACR, now that's *garbage*. I'd take the ZR1 any day. Just MO.
Old 08-29-08, 04:02 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vipers hold their value better, they are built better
Not many people on these boards would agree with that statement. Vipers, even the great performance cars that they are, are typical Chrysler junk. That's right *JUNK*. The viper is NOT built better than a corvette. Again, Just MO.
Old 08-29-08, 07:27 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a rennteam member commented that the Nring was changed somewhat so that laps are 5-10 seconds quicker now (ie a R8 was able to run a 7:53 and the new 911 ran a 7:50). despite this, 7:22 is impressive and the only "negative" about this lap time is that it was done with a lot of suspension adjustments. but with fully adjustable suspension, this is probably expected.
via lambo power

but then again, an exige with track pack has that too. what tires were they on?
Old 08-29-08, 08:12 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Impressive car. Impressive time. *NOT* an impressive run.

1. Driver was into the rev limiter constantly
2. driver missed a gear, lost almost a full sec.
3. Cars tires were scraping on the body constantly.
4. On the straight-away, driver was into the rev limiter for several seconds.
those are my exact thoughts after viwing that video. nonetheless, impressive time.
Old 08-29-08, 05:14 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Not many people on these boards would agree with that statement. Vipers, even the great performance cars that they are, are typical Chrysler junk. That's right *JUNK*. The viper is NOT built better than a corvette. Again, Just MO.
the viper IS built better...its not an opinion, its a FACT.....vipers are more rare, vipers look better, turn more heads, depreciate A LOT slower than corvettes...ever wonder why a '90 RT/10 still is worth more than a used c6?
here: www.google.com-use it

by the way....I LOVE CORVETTES!
Old 08-29-08, 05:33 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the viper IS built better...its not an opinion, its a FACT.....vipers are more rare, vipers look better, turn more heads, depreciate A LOT slower than corvettes...ever wonder why a '90 RT/10 still is worth more than a used c6?
here: www.google.com-use it

by the way....I LOVE CORVETTES!
source? i'd like to see a comparison between the two.

its really hard to define which car is built better...and looks is your opnion.

Quick Reply: new king of the ring?