Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new king of the ring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 08:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
The optional Hard Core package reduces the weight 40 pounds! wow....40 lbs is almost nothing! the acr will turn more heads than a zr1....it also costs less....corvette interiors are garbage but who really cares about the interior anyway! the zr1 is still lighter! anywho, it really depends what you want....if you want a "nice" interior thats fine...i know what i want....RAW performance aka '08 viper acr.
Corvette interiors may be garbage but they look and feel like a million bucks compared to the absolutely awful Viper interiors. When I sat in a Viper I was shocked at how utterly cheap and crappy the Viper interior was, we are talking Dodge Neon crappy and there was really no difference in quality or material design from a dodge Neon, absolutely nothing besides maybe the seats was spent on the Viper interior and it was embarassing for a 90K car, at least with the Corvette you can tell they tried a little.
Old 08-29-08, 08:14 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Corvette interiors may be garbage but they look and feel like a million bucks compared to the absolutely awful Viper interiors. When I sat in a Viper I was shocked at how utterly cheap and crappy the Viper interior was, we are talking Dodge Neon crappy and there was really no difference in quality or material design from a dodge Neon, absolutely nothing besides maybe the seats was spent on the Viper interior and it was embarassing for a 90K car, at least with the Corvette you can tell they tried a little.
more like a thousand bucks compared to the viper...both interiors suck(american made)
the corvette has a more "comfortable" interior and is great as a DD....they do pretty damn good on MPGs considering how they perform.
Old 08-29-08, 09:01 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default viper vs ZR-1

Ummm , sat in a new viper last week and it had a pretty cheap interior . Saw a ZR-1 up close and the stiched leather dash and doors , much nicer seats , NO COMPARISON !!! The ZR-1 is in another league as far as interior quality .
As far as performance these two cars are very close on a track , as far as street driving the vette zr-1 is in another league of the acr viper . If looks is what you are after than it is a personal choice .
B D HEMI
Old 08-29-08, 09:17 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you know, I'm sure the customer wanting a ACR Vipers main concern is the interior quality...

is it just me or is it funny that we're discussing the interior quality of a car that set a record time on the ring?
Old 08-29-08, 11:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
you know, I'm sure the customer wanting a ACR Vipers main concern is the interior quality...

is it just me or is it funny that we're discussing the interior quality of a car that set a record time on the ring?
The interior is a major part of a cars entire package and what you sit in and stare at and feel and operate while you drive the vehicle. It is what you spend most of the time in during the ownership of the vehicle when operating it. A interior is extremely important in any automobile sold to the public. Unless it is some gutted out track car that is only driven on the track then a cheap crappy poorly done interior is absolutely unacceptable in a 90K or a 50K car no matter what the performance is. How often will a Viper owner drive their Viper around the Ring or take it to 200mph? How often will a Viper owner look at, operate, sit in, and feel, the interior during your Viper during ownership? If I spend alot of money on a sports car I want high performance, good looks inside and out, and an interior that is nice and does not smack me in the face of cheapness, poor design, not caring, afterthought, and cost cutting.
Old 08-30-08, 06:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.ever wonder why a '90 RT/10 still is worth more than a used c6?
LOL!! Ha ha ha!! I really have to laugh at that one! Maybe it's because a Viper was $80,000, while the C6 Corvette was $45,000!!
LOL
Old 08-30-08, 06:22 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

sick viper!
Old 08-31-08, 05:21 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to see what a near perfect run around the ring looks like, check out this video.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/4071123....car-lap-record
Old 09-01-08, 11:14 AM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
LOL!! Ha ha ha!! I really have to laugh at that one! Maybe it's because a Viper was $80,000, while the C6 Corvette was $45,000!!
LOL
is it really that funny that a car that is 18 years older STILL WORTH MORE??more than a c5 z06 as well.....HILARIOUS BRO! ROFL status, ya square!
Old 09-01-08, 12:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it really that funny that a car that is 18 years older STILL WORTH MORE??more than a c5 z06 as well.....HILARIOUS BRO! ROFL status, ya square!
Cars that were very limited in production tend to hold their value better by default regardless of the quality of the car.

Even still, as a percentage of their original MSRP Vipers don't do that much better in residual values.
Old 09-02-08, 08:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Or, even the same driver with fewer mistakes. Yes, I believe the car can be driven better and faster.
I have to agree that was not the best time they could have gotten out of the car. I think with the tapping the limiter, and miss shifting he could have shave at least another second. If I was in charge of the team running the ring for record times, I would have told the driver, good job, but we are going to need you to do it again. play the video back for the driver and show him.
Old 09-02-08, 08:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
when I graduated and went car shopping I looked at a blue convertible vette for 2 seconds until I looked at the interior. It looked like my brother in laws Blazer interior. I have to agree that the interior on the viper is the worst I have ever seen outside a jeep wrangler rental I had in hawaii. At least the wrangler doesnt go for 80-90k.
Old 09-02-08, 08:59 PM
xioix
Racer

This is N-Ring track, just like all track times they vary and it is very hard to know the exact best time a car can really do
Old 09-03-08, 06:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

an ACR has a 120hp advantage, 400 lbs advantage, up to a 800lbs of downforce advantage, and only managed 7 seconds.