Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 11:06 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why lexus?
I have never seen Toyota act so much like GM until just recently with the current crop of Lexus and Toyotas. There used to be a time when the difference between a Toyota/Lexus and the rest was very obvious...now the competition is so good and so competitive that the a Toyota/Lexus is not all that much better than the competition.

If you look close..Toyota excels in some key categories not because they are so good but because the competition lacks in these areas.

1. Hybrids..not everyone has hybrids yet. But this gap is slowly closing.
2. Uber fullsized SUV such as Land Cruiser/LX..there is not as much competition in this category.
3. Choices and models. There is a Toyota at every price point which is because Toyota was so profitable in the 1990s eary 2000's which allowed them to achieve this..case in point. Six suvs are offered under the Toyota nameplate.
4. Reliability...they are still the best but the competition is so close that this does not factor in as much as it used to.
5. Mid size trucks like the Tacoma. The competition has conceded this segement which leaves the Taco in a class of its own.

Where Toyota struggles.

1. Toyota does not upgrade interior features as much until recently. No gig drive are available in most lexus models while the competition has them.
2. Toyota/Lexus interiors have become cost cut. All Toyota except Land Cruiser and Avalon have exposed seat anchors and paint power seat controls have now become stripped. Compare a SC430 and a LS460 and the difference and details is very obvious.
3. Style of Lexus....L Finese has been a failure IMO. The Toyota models have faired better.
4. Toyota/Lexus grew too fast. Toyota grew too fast causing them to over forcast Tundra/Seq and totally forget about are release and more refreshed less redesign Toyota Corolla.

Last edited by pagemaster; 08-29-08 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-28-08, 11:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought my lexus because of its reputation for reliability, and the looks. The handling , brakes, and steering are designed for the geriatric. I had an infiniti before my GS so I skipped the G35, and I didnt like the TL because its FWD layout, and the motor feels anemic and torqueless compared to the G or the GS. I think all in all the G35 is the best bang for the buck. Cant beat it for performance, and all around daily driver. the lexus gives me the higher end look,refinement, ride quality, and has a better name. I think infiniti will be really trying to improve its reliability soon. Its not bad, but its not amazing either, and their service departments imo have very poor attention to detail, and are not very good overall.

I guess I got sick of telling people I drive an infiniti and later they will ask" you drive a lexus right??". Lexus has the rep and the ranking to back it. when they advertise for audi they say you will always buy a BMW, benz, or lexus instaed of an audi. Infiniti is not in that group of the top 3 in luxury. They make a bullet proof VQ motor that you can beat the crap out of, but need to add some refinment and more attention to detail inthe design
Old 08-29-08, 12:08 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a good question......they are starting to have more issues and reliability problems. for my next car im looking for somnething that handles better and is sportier, something that besides the IS-F isnt going to be found by anything that lexus makes.
Old 08-29-08, 06:50 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

these last few posts were more what i was lookng for, if the thread irritates you don't answer. Lexus/toyota in the past as looked at as superior in almost all classes, not so any more, more and products are going down the drain reliability wise, and quality wise. Maybe my question should have benn, why do you continue to stay with lexus.
Old 08-29-08, 07:29 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread.......

Interestingly I was immediately drawn to Lexus in the early 90's. I am lil' older than some of you guys and Lexus offered what could not be had by other manufacturers in terms of quality, refinement and reliability.

As time goes on my old SC300, LS400 are gone and the only Lexus product in my stable is my 94 es300 beater.... still runs like a champ with 165k.

The thought of buying a new Lexus product in 09" seems remote... I am actually leaining towards Hyundai or Infiniti.. (sorry fellas) Actually I am still a fan of the 2GS430 and not really moved beyond that point..

Anyway as mentioned you should buy whatever vehicle suits your needs and desires.
Old 08-29-08, 08:07 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

just buy what you like. When someone spends that kind of money, deciding between two similar cars can come down to the simple things really. Maybe you just like the feel or layout of the interior or the exterior. Maybe one car's engine or exhaust note sound better to you. It's reall a matter of what you like in the car.
Old 08-29-08, 08:12 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. acura's are fwd. doesn't work with my kind of styling.
2. infiniti's are good but not quite as reliable as a lexus, in the years that i am interested in and can afford.
3. german cars are far too unreliable and over engineered while being far too hard to work on, again in the years i can afford and am interested in.

a lexus gives me the reliability, styling, ease of working on ( i work on my own cars) and availability of the kind of parts for modification that i like.
Old 08-29-08, 08:33 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"So will we be driving to aunt pattand selma's funeral in the new Lexus?"

~ Lisa Simpson

It was with this quote I always felt that Lexus was prestigious.
Old 08-29-08, 07:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ well that would make me by a lexus on its one haha