Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus is behind in interior conveniences

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 03:46 PM
Scottward
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i just noticed the KIA from the other thread has a nice portable music player integration straight from the factory. usb port and all other connectors.
......not found on any lexus vehicle.

so now, lexus interior has nothing that can't also be found on a cheap korean car.
navigation = ordinary.
tape player = wtf already....
mark lev = whoopty doo.

more tech in a kia???? say what?!?!

it seems like toyota is withholding new tech from being incorporated into the lexus cars.

whatever happened to lexus being 4 years ahead on gadgets and trickling them down toward cheaper models?
I noticed in the picture that the Kia has no push button start. Now that's lame since it's in almost all the cars now right? <sarc off>
Old 08-30-08, 04:22 PM
LexFather

I am not disagreeing that Lexus is behind with offering these features. You do realize most Americans probably still don't have a MP3 player. Most are bought by the same people over and over.

Now lets talk about how Lexus leads in these catagories. LED lighting, yes, Lexus did it first. Now everyone else is doing it.

The gauges. The Malibu rental I'm driving now has copied it.

Automatic Tilt and telescoping wheel. Yes Lexus came with that first too and now everyone has it.

Push Button Start. Lexus was one of the first if not the first to have total keyless entry. Now Altimas have it.

Lexus NAV has never been perfect but has always been near tops or arguably tops since 1998.

Lexus stero systems were unparalleled, another first. Today everyone has top of the line audio systems.

It is very hard to continue to lead in this area and its hard to stand out as this tech is getting cheaper and cheaper to ad.

I guess you have to jump to a loaded LS to get features in a LExus others do not have, like huge rear screen, lounging rear seat, 30gig hardrive, fridge, etc.

Old 08-30-08, 05:17 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I guess you have to jump to a loaded LS to get features in a LExus others do not have, like huge rear screen, lounging rear seat, 30gig hardrive, fridge, etc.
Yes you do...and you have to jump to a GS because you can't get a 3.5 with AWD...very shortly you will have to jump to LS because you can't get a 4.6 with AWD....outdated packaging IMO.

I am not disagreeing that Lexus is behind with offering these features. You do realize most Americans probably still don't have a MP3 player. Most are bought by the same people over and over.
Meh. I bet most do
Old 08-30-08, 05:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

most people do. it's been marketed to death. the grandma next door to me has one.

also, there are cheap $30 mp3 players too, which can hook up to a usb port.

i bet that kia boricua has a mp3 file browser and built-in playlist generator that is not ipod-specific. which is good
Old 08-30-08, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
only thing they are behind is ipod integration from the factory - because you can get official OEM iphone kit from lexus these days.

So if you want it, just get it..
Maybe vs. that Kia, but the Cadillac CTS and Infiniti G35 both have internal hard drives for storing music, a big win. The GS? A cassette player.
Old 08-30-08, 07:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Automatic Tilt and telescoping wheel. Yes Lexus came with that first too and now everyone has it.
I think we've discussed this before but Lexus wasn't first. The Acura Legend had this.

Anyway, you're right that Lexus offered other features early or first but as they say, it's always a case of "what have you done for me lately?"

By the way, I just saw an ad on TV for Lexus saying $10K off an LS460!
Old 08-30-08, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

IYou do realize most Americans probably still don't have a MP3 player.
I dunno... my mom has had iPods for years and she has zero technical skills or interest.
Old 08-30-08, 09:17 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I dunno... my mom has had iPods for years and she has zero technical skills or interest.
I look at it this way... I really want to buy a 2008 Land Cruiser...if I have to pony up extra for a IPod adapter kit....

then hell's no..l'll buy at Borego
Old 08-31-08, 04:05 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the push button start in a production car was started by honda and the s2000, not sure the exact year. and i dont know anyone who doesnt have an portable mp3 player. my mom and dad both have one and they are on their maybe 3rd ipod each.
Old 08-31-08, 05:19 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

the push button start in a production car was started by honda and the s2000, not sure the exact year.
I think transport trucks have had push button start for many many years.
Old 08-31-08, 05:33 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Now lets talk about how Lexus leads in these catagories. LED lighting, yes, Lexus did it first. Now everyone else is doing it.

The gauges. The Malibu rental I'm driving now has copied it.

Push Button Start. Lexus was one of the first if not the first to have total keyless entry. Now Altimas have it.

Lexus NAV has never been perfect but has always been near tops or arguably tops since 1998.

Lexus stero systems were unparalleled, another first. Today everyone has top of the line audio systems.

It is very hard to continue to lead in this area and its hard to stand out as this tech is getting cheaper and cheaper to ad.

As far a Toyotas go. I think Toyota has pretty much debuted things like air suspension, adjustable ride control, led this and that, power telescoping steering etc on Lexus vehicles.

I am pretty sure Toyota did use some of the stuff first on cars like the Supra (TEMS can someone verify?) and Land Cruiser.

IMO a Lexus is basically a top line Toyota. A Toyota with a very high design budget.

But I think the point of this thread is that Toyota really needs to start making all Toyota with all the features that a Lexus can be had with....That is starting to happen as cars like the Corolla can not be bought with push button start and even dual climate control.

Most items on a Lexus do trickle down to Toyotas eventually..for example my parents 2004 4runner has a tailight burnout bulbs malfunction lamp on the guages.Air suspension which likely can from the first Lexus LS and few other things.

Last edited by pagemaster; 08-31-08 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-31-08, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I look at it this way... I really want to buy a 2008 Land Cruiser...if I have to pony up extra for a IPod adapter kit....

then hell's no..l'll buy at Borego
lol... lol.
Old 08-31-08, 05:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe vs. that Kia, but the Cadillac CTS and Infiniti G35 both have internal hard drives for storing music, a big win. The GS? A cassette player.
and didnt LS460 have the first hard drive on the market in the USA? I am sure when new GS comes out, it will have hard drive as well...
Old 08-31-08, 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
and didnt LS460 have the first hard drive on the market in the USA? I am sure when new GS comes out, it will have hard drive as well...
Yes, but it's now on cars for half the price.

And when will a new GS come out?
Old 08-31-08, 06:47 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
But I think the point of this thread is that Toyota really needs to start making all Toyota with all the features that a Lexus can be had with....That is starting to happen as cars like the Corolla can not be bought with push button start and even dual climate control.

my point is that there is not enough new stuff in lexus interior, and some of the stuff it lacks is already found in cheaper cars from other brands

I bet it isn't hard for lexus to add an actual "MP3" button to the center stack and have a real mp3 player software built in

Quick Reply: lexus is behind in interior conveniences