Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus is behind in interior conveniences

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 07:10 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and some of the stuff it lacks is already found in cheaper cars from other brands
I have noticed this too. The LX470 was sold as a 2007 model without dual front climate control, aux input, a non power rear hatch.

I bet it isn't hard for lexus to add an actual "MP3" button to the center stack and have a real mp3 player software built in
They have gotten better the last little while.

Toyota upgraded the 2008 Avalon interior to include Bluetooth, aux input and a full 8 way power passenger seat. I have never seen Toyota do this to their other models.

Toyota also just recently updated the packaging on the Tacoma to include heated leather seats, aux input, LED tail lights.

This is not common for Toyota to do that.

Time will tell what they do with the Tundra. The new Ram will have such stuff as heated seat in front and in back, power adjustable pedals, cooling front seats, non leaf rear suspension etc.

I wonder if Toyota will do anything with Tundra or leave it as be.

Last edited by pagemaster; 08-31-08 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-31-08, 08:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
As far a Toyotas go. I think Toyota has pretty much debuted things like air suspension, adjustable ride control, led this and that, power telescoping steering etc on Lexus vehicles.

I am pretty sure Toyota did use some of the stuff first on cars like the Supra (TEMS can someone verify?) and Land Cruiser.

IMO a Lexus is basically a top line Toyota. A Toyota with a very high design budget.

But I think the point of this thread is that Toyota really needs to start making all Toyota with all the features that a Lexus can be had with....That is starting to happen as cars like the Corolla can not be bought with push button start and even dual climate control.

Most items on a Lexus do trickle down to Toyotas eventually..for example my parents 2004 4runner has a tailight burnout bulbs malfunction lamp on the guages.Air suspension which likely can from the first Lexus LS and few other things.
If you think a Lexus is a top of the line Toyota, I will no longer take any of your posts remotely serious.

Drive a damn Yaris, then FJ cruiser, then Camry then drive an IS 250 or a LX or LS then tell me they are only TOyotas with a higher budget.

That is ridiculous.

Old 08-31-08, 10:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

i think these so called luxury manufacturers need to be covering the basics first and then brag about things like hard drive - you know, how about 6 speed AT?

Old 08-31-08, 12:50 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Couple more things...

My Ford Explorer has power adjustable pedals. Does Toyota/Lexus on any vehicle?

Both my Ford and my Miata have mute buttons on the steering wheel. Does Lexus now? (I honestly don't know) - this is a great feature. On my Ford I also have TEMPERATURE control, plus a whole bunch of other controls.

Ford also now has Sync, a great optionn which lets you control your iPod or phone with voice commands and more.

Cadillac now has the hard drive recording on the CTS (like the Lexus LS460) but the Cadillac also lets you pause/rewind radio like a DVR - way cool.
Actually, my friends Lexus ES has power adjustable pedals which i thought was a useless feature.
Old 08-31-08, 01:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you think a Lexus is a top of the line Toyota, I will no longer take any of your posts remotely serious.

Drive a damn Yaris, then FJ cruiser, then Camry then drive an IS 250 or a LX or LS then tell me they are only TOyotas with a higher budget.

That is ridiculous.

yes. i found a top of the line toyota. it's called:
Attached Thumbnails lexus is behind in interior conveniences-xxl.jpg  
Old 08-31-08, 01:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and it's sibling:

Old 08-31-08, 03:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350ty
Actually, my friends Lexus ES has power adjustable pedals which i thought was a useless feature.
Like many of the "must have" conveniences, you don't hear much of adjustable pedals these days. A lot of these items are nice to have vs, need to have and are soon forgotten.
Old 08-31-08, 10:44 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

If you think a Lexus is a top of the line Toyota, .
A Lexus is a top Toyota plain and simple. There is no question about this.

When ones buy Lexus you are paying a premium for such things a near silent operation, trouble free operation and hassle free service. You are also paying for premium interior material such as fancy leather, rich carpeting, real wood, new features. Any of this can easily be applied to a Tundra, Sequioa Camry and even a Yaris. All Toyota needs to do is up the budget
Old 08-31-08, 11:53 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

When ones buy Lexus you are paying a premium for such things a near silent operation, trouble free operation and hassle free service. You are also paying for premium interior material such as fancy leather, rich carpeting, real wood, new features. Any of this can easily be applied to a Tundra, Sequioa Camry and even a Yaris. All Toyota needs to do is up the budget
Lexus is the luxury divison of Toyota just like Cadillac is the luxury division of GM. Just like Acura is the luxury divison of Honda. Just like Infiniti is the luxury division of Nissan. Just like Lincoln is the luxury divison of Ford. Just like Audi is the luxury division of Volkswagon and so on...

When one buys a Cadillac one is paying a premium for such things as near silent operation, not so trouble free operation and not so hassle free service. You are also paying for premium interior material such as fancy leather, rich carpeting, real wood, new features. Any of this can easily be applied to a Silverado, Suburban, Impala or even a Cobalt...and I'd never buy a GM car...
Old 08-31-08, 11:54 PM
LexFather

A Lexus has at a minimum 1/2 the tolerances of a Toyota. Lexus plants are award winning over and over. I am not going to argue with you what is a fact. You point out leather, carpeting, wood and new features? Are you remotely serious?

This rhetoric is old and unvalidated at this point and if I wasn't a super-moderator you would be on the ignore list.

Old 09-01-08, 12:28 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Lexus plants are award winning over and over
Yes they are..And Land Cruiser..Lx470 is a fancy Land Cruiser with a (no limit design budget), 4runner, Land Cruiser Prado, Rav4, Prius are all built in the same plants as Lexus models.
Old 09-01-08, 12:31 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

When one buys a Cadillac one is paying a premium
I remember my dads 96 Cadillac STS..the Avalon is about the perfect duplicate of the STS...only reliable, more comfortable, and a little less luxurious.
Old 09-01-08, 12:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

LED lighting, yes, Lexus did it first. Now everyone else is doing it.
I believe the Cadillac DTS was the first production car to every have LED lights.

Push Button Start. Lexus was one of the first if not the first to have total keyless entry. Now Altimas have it.

The Toyota Avalon was the first production Toyota/Lexus to debut with push button start on the limited model. Perhaps the LS430 added it to the 2004-2005 models but I am not sure.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-01-08 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 02:26 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I guess you have to jump to a loaded LS to get features in a LExus others do not have, like huge rear screen, lounging rear seat, 30gig hardrive, fridge, etc.
Another mistake on packaging, you can't order rear seat entertainment for instance by itself, it has to be part of the executive package which includes all of these features (except 30 gig) which requires you to buy the 460L and pushes the price to nearly 100K, most if not all should be available on the base LS460, hard drive systems with usb and other features have been on Chryslers that sell under 30 grand for a couple of years now.
Old 09-01-08, 04:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Ford will offer blind spot detection (little LED will light on side mirrors) on '09 models (this came from Volvo I think)... does Lexus offer this on any model yet?

Quick Reply: lexus is behind in interior conveniences