Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus is behind in interior conveniences

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 06:58 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts

That Lexus is a top of the line Toyota is nothing to be ashamed of. I assume everybody knows that Lexus vehicles were sold as Toyotas in their home country of Japan for about sixteen years and that Japanese market Toyota/Lexus vehicles have only recently been rebranded as "Lexus" as new models have been introduced.

It has not mattered to us that our Lexus and Toyota branded vehicles have shared some of the same parts as long as our cars performed well and Toyota continued to be profitable -- my wife and I own ADRs (shares/stock) in Toyota which produces Lexus, Scion and a few other nameplates not sold in the U.S.

I detect that Toyota is becoming a little more agressive in putting popular technology on their vehicles -- including their Lexus branded vehicles. In today's increasingly competitive market, Toyota can not affort to lag behind.
Old 09-01-08, 07:40 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ford will offer blind spot detection (little LED will light on side mirrors) on '09 models (this came from Volvo I think)... does Lexus offer this on any model yet?

Ford has been out front in many ways, Navigator was first full size suv with independent rear suspension with power folding seats flat into the floor, power running boards and liftgate (2003) six speed tranny since 05, GM trucks still have rear seats that have to be removed and the LX570 still uses those silly side folding seats.
Old 09-01-08, 08:40 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LX570 still uses those silly side folding seats.
IMO this is because there is a lack of competition in the uber high end full size SUVs. The only vehicle that really competes at this level is the Range Rover which does have IRS but does not include 3rd row seating. Third row seating is the last priority on the minds of LX50 buyers and Toyota will always spin off that it is because of off roading that it lacks IRS.

Where most of the competition has IRS the GX470 really suffers in comparison.
Old 09-01-08, 10:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
IMO this is because there is a lack of competition in the uber high end full size SUVs. The only vehicle that really competes at this level is the Range Rover which does have IRS but does not include 3rd row seating. Third row seating is the last priority on the minds of LX50 buyers and Toyota will always spin off that it is because of off roading that it lacks IRS.

Uhh the GX 470 won 4x4 of the year not one but TWO years in a row.

Old 09-02-08, 06:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

yes, LX should have foldable 3rd seat, so you would have to have an crane to put something into the back...

:-).
Old 09-02-08, 06:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ford will offer blind spot detection (little LED will light on side mirrors) on '09 models (this came from Volvo I think)... does Lexus offer this on any model yet?
and? does BMW offer that?
Old 09-02-08, 05:40 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't consider Navigator and QX56 competition for the LX570? They both have irs and foldable flat third row.
Old 09-03-08, 06:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
Get a KIA then?
I dont think anyone will know the real reason why but if it bugs you that much then get a KIA.
So Lexus should just take the attitude that they don't need to be on the cutting edge of tech features just because they are Lexus??

Isn't that what the Germans have done? Some German cars still dont have a touch screen nav.
Old 09-03-08, 07:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
High quality interior w/ less gadgets > Cheap quality interior w/ lots of gadgets.
Which assumes that Toyota can't have a high quality interior AND lots of gadgets, which is just silly.
Old 09-03-08, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

All I know is when I bought my 2000 2GS in late 1999, I felt it was totally state of the art in interior conveniences with tons of nice features, the touchscreen nav, etc. It did lack a couple of things over my previous Legend, like the heated seats didn't have adjustable temp, I don't think the steering wheel had audio controls, etc.

The 3GS does have more features (adjustable suspension - although is that available on the GS350?, interior ambient LED lighting, push to start, adaptive headlights I think?, etc.), but it just doesn't seem as big a step up as the 2GS was, plus things are moving fast in the market and Lexus needs to keep up at least. I've joked a lot about the cassette player in the 3GS, but really, it's got to go and replace the head unit with one with a hard drive and USB port.
Old 09-03-08, 08:45 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i just noticed the KIA from the other thread has a nice portable music player integration straight from the factory. usb port and all other connectors.
......not found on any lexus vehicle.

so now, lexus interior has nothing that can't also be found on a cheap korean car.
navigation = ordinary.
tape player = wtf already....
mark lev = whoopty doo.

more tech in a kia???? say what?!?!

it seems like toyota is withholding new tech from being incorporated into the lexus cars.

whatever happened to lexus being 4 years ahead on gadgets and trickling them down toward cheaper models?
nope the s class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaiTFkHrMNE
Old 09-03-08, 09:25 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the excuse the Lexus doesn't want to put gadgets in that will be out of date in 2-3 years is laughable and an insult to the intelligent of their consumers.

#1- USB architecture isn't going ANYWHERE... it has been around for over a decade and still remains 100% backward compatible. USB 3.0 will be out soon enough but 1.0 and 2.0 will still work just find with it.

#2- The only thing that might be required of Lexus is software updates for their nav/media systems. Too bad, so sad Lexus... this is the future... cars will require software updates. Hell they already require software updates. Just unify all of your media systems to where you can release one unified update to dealers (or even via satellite to the cars directly!) for all Lexus models, or at least all nav/media systems of the same generation.

Nobody uses tape and not very many use CD anymore so the fact that Lexus is still making things like XM/Sirius/USB a port installed option is ridiculous.
Old 09-05-08, 12:21 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish we got live traffic updates and weather updates like acura.