Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus is behind in interior conveniences

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 06:52 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lexus is behind in interior conveniences

i just noticed the KIA from the other thread has a nice portable music player integration straight from the factory. usb port and all other connectors.
......not found on any lexus vehicle.

so now, lexus interior has nothing that can't also be found on a cheap korean car.
navigation = ordinary.
tape player = wtf already....
mark lev = whoopty doo.

more tech in a kia???? say what?!?!

it seems like toyota is withholding new tech from being incorporated into the lexus cars.

whatever happened to lexus being 4 years ahead on gadgets and trickling them down toward cheaper models?

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-29-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-29-08, 08:01 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i just noticed the KIA from the other thread has a nice portable music player integration straight from the factory. usb port and all other connectors.
......not found on any lexus vehicle.

so now, lexus interior has nothing that can't also be found on a cheap korean car.
navigation = ordinary.
tape player = wtf already....
mark lev = whoopty doo.

it seems like toyota is withholding new tech from being incorporated into the lexus cars.

whatever happened to lexus being 4 years ahead on gadgets and trickling them down toward cheaper models?
Get a KIA then?
I dont think anyone will know the real reason why but if it bugs you that much then get a KIA.
Old 08-29-08, 08:17 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmmm, food for thought there.
Old 08-29-08, 09:42 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus just started offering OEM iPod integration kits, and all 08 models except for the RX feature Auxiliary jacks for your iPod.
Old 08-29-08, 09:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Couple more things...

My Ford Explorer has power adjustable pedals. Does Toyota/Lexus on any vehicle?

Both my Ford and my Miata have mute buttons on the steering wheel. Does Lexus now? (I honestly don't know) - this is a great feature. On my Ford I also have TEMPERATURE control, plus a whole bunch of other controls.

Ford also now has Sync, a great optionn which lets you control your iPod or phone with voice commands and more.

Cadillac now has the hard drive recording on the CTS (like the Lexus LS460) but the Cadillac also lets you pause/rewind radio like a DVR - way cool.
Old 08-29-08, 10:21 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Couple more things...

My Ford Explorer has power adjustable pedals. Does Toyota/Lexus on any vehicle?

Both my Ford and my Miata have mute buttons on the steering wheel. Does Lexus now? (I honestly don't know) - this is a great feature. On my Ford I also have TEMPERATURE control, plus a whole bunch of other controls.

Ford also now has Sync, a great optionn which lets you control your iPod or phone with voice commands and more.

Cadillac now has the hard drive recording on the CTS (like the Lexus LS460) but the Cadillac also lets you pause/rewind radio like a DVR - way cool.
Then get another ford, freak.
idk i dont really need those options so i dont really care. Well whats a TEMPERATURE control. I can control my AC if thats the same thing.

also, i just noticed i quoted the OP when i was the first to respond. i guess its a habit.
Old 08-29-08, 10:26 PM
LexFather

I agree that Lexus seems to be behind with the Aux and I-pod game but I'd rather they bring real cars to the market and not focus on these outsourced things that you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a kit for.

What would you rather, top of the line transmissions or a plug for your I-pod for instance?

Ford Sync is pretty sweet.

Old 08-29-08, 10:50 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree that Lexus seems to be behind with the Aux and I-pod game but I'd rather they bring real cars to the market and not focus on these outsourced things that you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a kit for.
Everybody quit your whining. This is why lexus still gives us a cassette player:

No I agree. Lexus is weak in this area Took them forever to offer a cheapo analog plug
Old 08-29-08, 10:52 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

wait for the new RX because with the new control for nav, im sure they have something up their sleeve
Old 08-29-08, 10:58 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Everybody quit your whining. This is why lexus still gives us a cassette player:

No I agree. Lexus is weak in this area Took them forever to offer a cheapo analog plug
ROFL
Old 08-29-08, 11:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack

whatever happened to lexus being 4 years ahead on gadgets and?
Hey I have noticed this to0. The 200 series Land Cruiser/Lx570 lead the way in features like four zone, gig drive in the LX, 2nd row power moving, pre crash etc etc.

trickling them down toward cheaper models
I have noticed that Toyota does not always upgrade their interior features as much. However, the 2008 Avalon got upgrades such as bluetooth, aux input, passenger fully articulating seat ect.
Old 08-30-08, 01:16 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno how many cars ive rented in the past two years. everything from american cars to other brand japanese luxury cars.....none of them still have a tape deck and all had either an aux jack/ipod jack, or some sort of music integration system. i have a tape in the tape deck in my car, of couyrse the tape was from when i was in high school back in the 90's.
Old 08-30-08, 05:02 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a Lexus ride and drive I attended a year ago, these kinds of technological advancements were brought up, and why Lexus did not use them when their competition was. The answer?

Lexus feels that Ipod integration, usb connectivity, and MS Sync, are too computer oriented, susceptible to the same computer obsolescence. Lexus doesn't want to have unusable technology in a 3 year old car. Let's face it, Sync will be utterly useless in 24 months, maybe 36. It was difficult for Lexus to even consider a built in hard drive but they felt safe enough because, basically, the only advancements in HD technolgy has been capacity. Lexus doesn't want to have it's customers beating down their door for computer upgrades.
Old 08-30-08, 06:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

Someone should tell them that tapes have been obsolete for a while now
Old 08-30-08, 06:56 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
In a Lexus ride and drive I attended a year ago, these kinds of technological advancements were brought up, and why Lexus did not use them when their competition was. The answer?

Lexus feels that Ipod integration, usb connectivity, and MS Sync, are too computer oriented, susceptible to the same computer obsolescence. Lexus doesn't want to have unusable technology in a 3 year old car. Let's face it, Sync will be utterly useless in 24 months, maybe 36. It was difficult for Lexus to even consider a built in hard drive but they felt safe enough because, basically, the only advancements in HD technolgy has been capacity. Lexus doesn't want to have it's customers beating down their door for computer upgrades.
I don't think anything you said was correct. Why will Sync be useless in 24 months? You are telling me that if I bought a Ford with Sync, in 2 years it will stop working? Who cares if something newer comes out in the future, the past systems will keep working perfectly. Will it crash like all of the world's computers did the night of new years 2000?

My 1998 GS400 had a hard drive based nav system, and long after they went to DVD, it still gave me directions to my destination. I do think that what we are seeing with this Kia is more and more entry level cars are getting luxury features. I mean the Altima had a start button smart key before most Lexus models did.

Quick Reply: lexus is behind in interior conveniences