Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile Mag Comparo: Genesis V8 v. GS460 v. XF v. E550

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 06:23 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, cause it looks like a GS
I saw another recently too, its huge for this class. Cars are getting so big. I could tell it was a size larger than the GS.

Does look good in S/C form with the 20s....
I know you are a Lexus and GS fan to the core, but this comment is ridiculous. The GS could only wish to look like the Jag.
Old 09-02-08, 01:37 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. I don't think the GS is a bad looking car at all, but to say that Jaguar copied Lexus is completely ridiculous. Lexus, at it's very core, prides itself off of copying Mercedes-Benz. Jaguar is it's own commodity and designs very distinctive cars.
Old 09-02-08, 02:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
I agree. I don't think the GS is a bad looking car at all, but to say that Jaguar copied Lexus is completely ridiculous. Lexus, at it's very core, prides itself off of copying Mercedes-Benz. Jaguar is it's own commodity and designs very distinctive cars.
Sigh..............

Originally Posted by theanimala
I know you are a Lexus and GS fan to the core, but this comment is ridiculous. The GS could only wish to look like the Jag.
You know some of you need to understand while I clearly enjoy Lexus ownership first, that does not make me blind to the facts or to other brands. I doubt much anyone on here reads as much about automobiles as I do on a monthly basis, so my comments echo those from reviews in America, Europe and other countries if I can get my hands on a review.
Please read the links below, where reviewers state the XF has Lexus GS cues. Have a nice day.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

While I'm not taken with every styling cue (the XF's profile reminds me too much of a Lexus GS's), I do like the overall look-it's sexy and stealthy,

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._xf/index.html

On the heels of all that, the new Jaguar is familiar-it's roofline recalls that Lexus GS.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rive_review__1

The XF abandons the old long-and-low rear-deck profile seen on most of the sedans in the Jag lineup, adopting instead a high rear decklid almost like that of a Lexus GS.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6693

The first thought that popped into my mind when seeing our metallic red test subject was that it looked "Lexus-like" — there's certainly no denying that it is very similar in profile to the Toyota luxury brand's GS model.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...ar_xf_sv8.html

what design chief Ian Callum calls its ‘three dimensionality’ – will work better in a soft light than the harsh motor-show spots that perhaps led some to voice doubts about the ‘ugly’ grille and headlights and raise an eyebrow over the profile similarities to the Lexus GS

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...Jaguar-XF-SV8/

But yes, this is a very modern-looking car. There’s a whiff of Lexus about the shape, but the XF is far better looking and more coupe-like than any saloon bar the Mercedes CLS.

Game, set, match

Old 09-02-08, 05:31 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

That's great, and if I had enough time as you evidently have, I could find even more instances where the automotive press has for years commented on Lexus's benchmarking of Mercedes-Benz automobiles. Let's start with the GS's lights.

I LIKE the GS, I think it's a good looking car. It's luxurious, refined, but that doesn't mean I have to stick my head up my rear end and claim that Lexus is now the benchmark for of ALL the possible makes, Jaguar. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 09-02-08, 06:29 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please read the links below, where reviewers state the XF has Lexus GS cues. Have a nice day.
Have to agree with you here...the XF definitely has a resemblance to the 3rd gen GS from the side profile.

But I have to admit that Jag has done a good job with the XF design (except for the front nose of the car). Love the rear of the Jag and pretty sweet interior

Originally Posted by FKL
...I could find even more instances where the automotive press has for years commented on Lexus's benchmarking of Mercedes-Benz automobiles. Let's start with the GS's lights.
True, true.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 09-02-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Lexus, at it's very core, prides itself off of copying Mercedes-Benz.
That's just crazy talk. L-Finesse is definitely unique to Lexus.
Old 09-02-08, 07:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
That's great, and if I had enough time as you evidently have, I could find even more instances where the automotive press has for years commented on Lexus's benchmarking of Mercedes-Benz automobiles. Let's start with the GS's lights.

I LIKE the GS, I think it's a good looking car. It's luxurious, refined, but that doesn't mean I have to stick my head up my rear end and claim that Lexus is now the benchmark for of ALL the possible makes, Jaguar. Thanks, but no thanks.
You are doing it wrong. This is about the XF sharing similarities with the GS, which I have proven myself and experts agree with. This has NOTHING to do with Lexus looking like another brand, that has nothing to do with this topic. For the record, Lexus has clearly taken cues from other brands multiple times. Everyone does it.

No one said the GS is the benchmark, certainly not I, so I am not sure where you are getting that from.

Having seen it in person I said its pretty good looking from the side and rear with the front looking odd but "better" in person.

Old 09-02-08, 09:38 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by theanimala
Sigh..............

You know some of you need to understand while I clearly enjoy Lexus ownership first, that does not make me blind to the facts or to other brands. I doubt much anyone on here reads as much about automobiles as I do on a monthly basis, so my comments echo those from reviews in America, Europe and other countries if I can get my hands on a review.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

While I'm not taken with every styling cue (the XF's profile reminds me too much of a Lexus GS's), I do like the overall look-it's sexy and stealthy,

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._xf/index.html

On the heels of all that, the new Jaguar is familiar-it's roofline recalls that Lexus GS.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rive_review__1

The XF abandons the old long-and-low rear-deck profile seen on most of the sedans in the Jag lineup, adopting instead a high rear decklid almost like that of a Lexus GS.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6693

The first thought that popped into my mind when seeing our metallic red test subject was that it looked "Lexus-like" — there's certainly no denying that it is very similar in profile to the Toyota luxury brand's GS model.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...ar_xf_sv8.html

what design chief Ian Callum calls its ‘three dimensionality’ – will work better in a soft light than the harsh motor-show spots that perhaps led some to voice doubts about the ‘ugly’ grille and headlights and raise an eyebrow over the profile similarities to the Lexus GS

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...Jaguar-XF-SV8/

But yes, this is a very modern-looking car. There’s a whiff of Lexus about the shape, but the XF is far better looking and more coupe-like than any saloon bar the Mercedes CLS.

Game, set, match
Owned!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 09-03-08, 12:16 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

You are doing it wrong. This is about the XF sharing similarities with the GS, which I have proven myself and experts agree with. This has NOTHING to do with Lexus looking like another brand, that has nothing to do with this topic. For the record, Lexus has clearly taken cues from other brands multiple times. Everyone does it.
Thanks, I can read without the grand effects. You seem to have a loose tolorance for taking design cues from other manufactures. No, everyone doesn't do it, certainly not like Lexus has over the last twenty years with every S-Class that has come out of Stuttgart. This matter has EVERYTHING to do with Toyota's tireless persuit to enmulate Mercedes-Benz, and my god they have done it pretty damn well. Nobody is going to mistaken the XF for anything but a Jaguar - I'm not sure the same could be said of the GS range. Like the new Korean Genesis sedan, the GS (and LS) have always been obviously styled right off of the E and S class Mercedes models. You're implying that it was Jaguar's goal to enmulate the GS in the rear quarter flank - I'm saying no. The difference is, Lexus has always [openly] benchmarked and styled their designs after MB. Jaguar set the Germans as the ones to beat, not the Lexus GS.
Old 09-03-08, 12:40 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

benchmarked and styled their designs after MB
I think the latest LS has some BMW 7series in the design.
Old 09-03-08, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Thanks, I can read without the grand effects. You seem to have a loose tolorance for taking design cues from other manufactures. No, everyone doesn't do it, certainly not like Lexus has over the last twenty years with every S-Class that has come out of Stuttgart. This matter has EVERYTHING to do with Toyota's tireless persuit to enmulate Mercedes-Benz, and my god they have done it pretty damn well. Nobody is going to mistaken the XF for anything but a Jaguar - I'm not sure the same could be said of the GS range. Like the new Korean Genesis sedan, the GS (and LS) have always been obviously styled right off of the E and S class Mercedes models. You're implying that it was Jaguar's goal to enmulate the GS in the rear quarter flank - I'm saying no. The difference is, Lexus has always [openly] benchmarked and styled their designs after MB. Jaguar set the Germans as the ones to beat, not the Lexus GS.
Lets see here
1. Thread about Jag XF comparo
2. I tell bit XF has "GS cues"
3. Some go apenuts about my comment and it has no merit, go off tangent
4. I post links showing the validity
5. Still off tangent about Lexus, when we were talking about Jag.
6. I never said it was a GS ripoff or the GS was better nor have I stated Lexus is king of orginality

If it makes you feel better, continue to talk about how the LS ripped off Benz 20 years ago. I am not talking about that. Lexus has no pursuit to emulate Benz, that is something Euro lovers cling on to.

I state all car makers copy, you act like Lexus only does it.

Name one Lexus TODAY that looks like a Mercedes please. If anything, they took cues for BMW. Today we now have BMWs, Benzes that take cues from Lexus and others. That is how the game goes.

FYI, the 1st generation GS was designed by Giugiaro. The 2nd one was designed in-house and the SC 300/400 was its influence with the front end and its dimensions were changed to compete better with the Germans, including its first V-8. The 3rd gen is the first Lexus to use "L-finesse".

You state "Jag benchmarked the Germans not the GS". We still are not talking about that. We are talking about design here. Surely the GS was not used to benchmark handling but it was in the mix for quality and refinement but that is neither here or there.

FKL, I am a huge Jaguar fan actually, since I was a kid. Like everyone here, I watched Jaguar struggle and move downmarket with the X-type. I think the XK is superb as the XJ and now the XF. I am worried about TaTa ownership but IMO, they have a lineup that does not get the credit it fully deserves, from better quality, to aluminum usage to sportier handling.

That does not make me blind that the XF shares the GS profile from the side and rear.

Old 09-03-08, 10:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I'm not sure the same could be said of the GS range. Like the new Korean Genesis sedan, the GS (and LS) have always been obviously styled right off of the E and S class Mercedes models. You're implying that it was Jaguar's goal to enmulate the GS in the rear quarter flank - I'm saying no. The difference is, Lexus has always [openly] benchmarked and styled their designs after MB. Jaguar set the Germans as the ones to beat, not the Lexus GS.
I don't think the 3rd Gen GS looks anything like the Merc E class. If Lexus copied anybody with the 3rd Gen GS it would be Nissan because it looks like a Altima/Maxima. The Maxima came out in 2004 and the 3rd Gen GS came out in 2006 so you have to say Lexus took inspiration from the Maxima instead of the Maxima being inspired from the Lexus since the GS came out 2 years after the Maxima. Aside from a similar front end treatment I don't think the 2nd GS copied the Merc E class much either as you would never mistake the two but both kind of had the big bodied luxury look instead of sleek and sporty. Although the previous LS were obviously designed to look very similar to S classes, the current LS to me does not resemble the previous or current S class, unfortunately it looks similar to a ES350 or Camry. The SC430 does not look like any Mercedes either and has more Audi TT cues. The IS never resembled any Mercedes.

The GS and XF have a similar body shape but I feel the Jag looks much better and they did it right. Where the GS went for a sportier look and can be mistaken for a non upscale car like a Maxima/Altima or even some kind of new Avalon the Jag just looks upscale and luxurious. The 3rd GS can look akward from several angles and the rear end just does not look good. I feel the 2nd Gen was a better design and is one of the best looking luxury 4 doors on the road. I think the Jag is the overall better looking car and looks much better when seen in person, I am still on the fence with its interior though.

Last edited by UDel; 09-03-08 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think the 3rd Gen GS looks anything like the Merc E class. If Lexus copied anybody with the 3rd Gen GS it would be Nissan because it looks like a Altima/Maxima. The Maxima came out in 2004 and the 3rd Gen GS came out in 2006 so you have to say Lexus took inspiration from the Maxima instead of the Maxima being inspired from the Lexus since the GS came out 2 years after the Maxima. Aside from a similar front end treatment I don't think the GS copied the Merc E class much either as you would never mistake the two but both kind of had the big bodied luxury look instead of sleek and sporty. Although the previous LS were obviously designed to look very similar to S classes, the current LS to me does not resemble the previous or current S class, unfortunately it looks similar to a ES350 or Camry. The SC430 does not look like any Mercedes either and has more Audi TT cues. The IS never resembled any Mercedes.

The GS and XF have a similar body shape but I feel the Jag looks much better and they did it right. Where the GS went for a sportier look and can be mistaken for a non upscale car like a Maxima/Altima or even some kind of new Avalon the Jag just looks upscale and luxurious. The 3rd GS can look akward from several angles and the rear end just does not look good. I feel the 2nd Gen was a better design and is one of the best looking luxury 4 doors on the road. I think the Jag is the overall better looking car and looks much better when seen in person, I am still on the fence with its interior though.
And the 2GS predated all the new Infiniti/Nissan models today. I am SO happy the new Maxima looks the way it does.

I am with you that the 3GS has some awkward angles.

Old 09-03-08, 12:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kudos the Jaguar XF's good points, winning comparos etc., but there are many who feel that Jaguar was derivative this time around. Indeed, in the past you could pretty much not mistake a Jaguar sedan for anything else, but this time the XF is a bit different.

So much so, that for instance leblogauto has a design analysis comparing the two:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Design: Jaguar XF vs Lexus GS
It is possible to confuse the two models (as a friend who looked over my shoulder while j'attaquais this post and said "Keep a Lexus!" While it was the Jaguar)
Other auto commentators have suggested as well:

http://www.automobilesdeluxe.tv/when...ings-get-ugly/

The Car Magazine UK video also has the presenter directly talking about the Lexus GS in reference to the XF.

Having seen the XF in person several times, I think it is more 'under the radar' than other Jaguars, nice though.
Old 09-03-08, 12:50 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

...so the 2GS bit off of the E-class....hmmm, what because of the quad headlights? lol. There are other rides with quad headlights. Oh, and the second gen GS sides and rear are WAY different as well as the interior! Obviously they didn't copy it properly then...lol