Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW:2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 06:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

chevy's come a long way eh? my mom's 2000 malibu was a joke. biggest waste of 20k.
Old 08-31-08, 06:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The new Malibu is selling well, but there is still a wide gap between it and it's main competition. It's surprising since it looks great, received good reviews and offers a lot for the money.

Year to date sales thru June:
Camry 282.0k
Accord 247.2k
Altima 182.4k
Malibu 105.2k
Old 08-31-08, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Great review Mike, thanks, and great to see your objectivity despite bad past experience with GM.

Things really are getting better at GM.

Got a suggestion - go check out a new Tahoe, or maybe a Tahoe hybrid! It is SWEET. Yes, I know, a big SUV, but you know you'd look cool sitting up that high.

Unless one has to climb a mountain, I honestly don't see why someone would want the LX570 over a Tahoe. Yes the LX570 has a nice interior, but that third seat row is so intrusive of space it's a joke and of course the LX costs $30K more than the Tahoe!
Old 08-31-08, 09:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The new Malibu is selling well, but there is still a wide gap between it and it's main competition. It's surprising since it looks great, received good reviews and offers a lot for the money.

Year to date sales thru June:
Camry 282.0k
Accord 247.2k
Altima 182.4k
Malibu 105.2k
It's going to take time, if ever, for GM to catch up, but it has to start with product and theirs is now clearly far superior to the past and to most competitors.

Having really knowledgeable people like Mike acknowledge the progress helps a lot as he might recommend it for someone looking for a comfy family sedan.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-01-08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-31-08, 09:33 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new Malibu is an awesome car... best in class in most ways, IMO... and on my current short list of vehicles to purchase to replace my 335i in about a year. I'd probably get the LTZ w/ 4-cyl. IIRC they're rated at 33mpg highway for 2009... and of course that's the EPA rating which is always way lower than you can actually get.

Its pricing is not only competitive next to the Camry and Accord but with the rebates and financing deals the value gets even better.

My friend has an 08 Saturn Aura (closely related) and so far likes it better than his 05 TL in many ways. It's smoother, quieter, and appear to be better built, too... though time will tell.
Old 09-01-08, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Great Review, Mike. I see you split it up into several different sections/ posts....interesting.

I agree with most of what you say. The only thing I really didn't care for on the Malibu 1LT I looked at was the cheapish hard-plastic interior door panels. Otherwise the interior, as you note, has at least some of the ambience of the new Cadillac CTS and Buick Enclave (two other nice recent jobs fom GM), even down to the light blue/aqua dash lights, which, like you, I find attractive. That's where the Saturn Aura, the Malibu's corporate brother, falls short....its dash lighting is an ugly (IMO) yellow/orange, it doesn't cover up the plastics as well as the Malibu does, and its rear seat/roofline, despite being on the same plaform/body shell as the Malibu, doesn't have anywhere near the headroom.

Did you get a chance to at least sample the Hybrid Malibu on a quick test-drive? That, right now, is perhaps the most interesting (and expensive) version, although I believe an SS is also on the way.
Old 09-01-08, 08:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's going to take time, if ever, for GM to catch up, but it has to start with product and theirs is clearly superior right now.

Having really knowledgeable people like Mike acknowledge the progress helps a lot as he might recommend it for someone looking for a comfy family sedan.
I agree, it will take time. I hope that GM sticks with the new Malibu long enough for it to be successful. They've been known to plug the plug on some fairly decent cars to chase the next hot trend. The Olds Aurora and Intrigue were not too bad when they were discontinued and this was before the Olds division went away. Times are different now and so is GM.
Old 09-01-08, 10:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's going to take time, if ever, for GM to catch up, but it has to start with product and theirs is now clearly far superior to the past and to most competitors.

I would recommend it. I would tell someone looking for family sedans to check out the Malibu, something i wouldn't have done in the past.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Great Review, Mike. I see you split it up into several different sections/ posts....interesting.

I agree with most of what you say. The only thing I really didn't care for on the Malibu 1LT I looked at was the cheapish hard-plastic interior door panels. Otherwise the interior, as you note, has at least some of the ambience of the new Cadillac CTS and Buick Enclave (two other nice recent jobs fom GM), even down to the light blue/aqua dash lights, which, like you, I find attractive. That's where the Saturn Aura, the Malibu's corporate brother, falls short....its dash lighting is an ugly (IMO) yellow/orange, it doesn't cover up the plastics as well as the Malibu does, and its rear seat/roofline, despite being on the same plaform/body shell as the Malibu, doesn't have anywhere near the headroom.

Did you get a chance to at least sample the Hybrid Malibu on a quick test-drive? That, right now, is perhaps the most interesting (and expensive) version, although I believe an SS is also on the way.
Budget didn't have any Malibu Hybrids. I agree on the door panels but it didn't stand out to me. I am a fan of the Aura as well.

Old 09-02-08, 09:35 AM
LexFather

One thing I forgot the mention. The Malibu has a huge turning radius

Old 09-02-08, 09:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
One thing I forgot the mention. The Malibu has a huge turning radius
Compared to other FWD cars? FWD by nature/default pretty much always has a worse radius than RWD. Compare a FWD civic's radius to a RWD Silverado and I bet they're similar at best... Silverado might even be better.
Old 09-02-08, 10:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Compared to other FWD cars? FWD by nature/default pretty much always has a worse radius than RWD. Compare a FWD civic's radius to a RWD Silverado and I bet they're similar at best... Silverado might even be better.
The Silverado, don't forget, has a 4-wheel "Quadrasteer" option which increases its manuverability.
Old 09-02-08, 11:06 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Silverado, don't forget, has a 4-wheel "Quadrasteer" option which increases its manuverability.
That was an expensive and very rarely equipped option on the Silverado and was only available from 2002 to 2005.
Old 09-02-08, 11:32 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use power-oversteer to turn a RWD car, then almost any RWD car can have a small turning radius, otherwise, I don't think RWD cars have such a huge advantage. My Corvette's turning radius is HUGE (of course, the turning circle can shrink rapidly with application of the throttle ), it's actually one of my least-favorite things about the car. It's much larger than almost any other FWD car I've driven, with the exception of the absolutely awful PT Cruiser
Old 09-02-08, 01:25 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetopdog
If you use power-oversteer to turn a RWD car, then almost any RWD car can have a small turning radius, otherwise, I don't think RWD cars have such a huge advantage. My Corvette's turning radius is HUGE (of course, the turning circle can shrink rapidly with application of the throttle ), it's actually one of my least-favorite things about the car. It's much larger than almost any other FWD car I've driven, with the exception of the absolutely awful PT Cruiser
Well... it still depends on wheel base, engine mounting and width, etc but just as a general rule of thumb FWD will have a worse radius than RWD.

I mean for example, the LS460 has a better radius than the Toyota Corolla by 2-3 inches.

The Corvette's radius is pretty bad for a RWD vehicle but still not that bad.. 39 feet. This is probably a limitation of the width of the engine. I just looked up the Aura for my friend who was commenting (coincidentally... I didn't even bring up this thread/convo) and it's 40.4 feet which is about 8 inches wider than his TL, but then again the Aura has a 5 inch longer wheelbase which works against it and means its wheels must turn even tighter.
Old 09-02-08, 01:58 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Well... it still depends on wheel base, engine mounting and width, etc but just as a general rule of thumb FWD will have a worse radius than RWD.

I mean for example, the LS460 has a better radius than the Toyota Corolla by 2-3 inches.

The Corvette's radius is pretty bad for a RWD vehicle but still not that bad.. 39 feet. This is probably a limitation of the width of the engine. I just looked up the Aura for my friend who was commenting (coincidentally... I didn't even bring up this thread/convo) and it's 40.4 feet which is about 8 inches wider than his TL, but then again the Aura has a 5 inch longer wheelbase which works against it and means its wheels must turn even tighter.
Cool, thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW:2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ