Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW:2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 08:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

people seem so shocked because of the quality, fit and finish, and even the paint. Ask yourselves why are we all so surpised. Is it because GM has produced poorly made and designed cars for the last 25yrs??? They gave the market to the japanese and now they are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get it back. So yeah there better be some crazy stuff coming from GM for them to regain consumer trust, confidence, and respect. At leats I hope so for their sake. It would take GM to be #1 for along time for me to even step into a GM showroom. (The thought of it makes me want to throw up though)
Old 09-03-08, 01:05 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's going to take time, if ever, for GM to catch up, but it has to start with product and theirs is now clearly far superior to the past and to most competitors.
Before we go shining each other's JD Powers awards, I want to see how it drives at 100,000miles. The benchmark is really 150,000 miles with Honda and Toyota, so I'll give them a few years before I will consider them.

I will say GM is finally making cars I would consider, Sky, Solstice, Vue Greenline, and Malibu... if they pull off the Volt and continue to cut truck/suv production, I might not just buy one of their cars, I might invest in their stock.
Old 09-03-08, 02:43 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I was literally blown away at the quality, fit, and finish of the Malibu's interior. Would you believe, even better than Camry or Accord? Yep!
Amazing things can happen when auto makers look to the Germans (*cough* Opel) for help. I too was very impressed with the interior quality of the Malibu. I don't think the leather quality was quite up to that of an Accord or Camry, but the interior fit and finish is comparable, if not better. Those base model Accords and Camrys are downright flibsy and cheap, sorry. I am also impressed by the 2009 Hyundai Sonata. Still have to hand it to the Passat for class leading fit and finish (not really a suprise), but GM is improving in leaps and bounds. The engines are the only sore point I have with the car. The 4-cylinder gets no better mileage than VW/Audi's 2.0TFSI and is substantially slower. The V6 is also nowhere near as refined as the VTEC units found in the Accord. But still - a valliant effort by GM.