Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best 10, Worst 10 Cars for Holding Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 09:37 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottward
Not too sure of the accuracy of that report as far as the best vehicles go. For instance, VWs are known for their horrible reliabilty issues and depreciate significantly. Also G35s are now used in rental fleets which will take a significant toll on their future resale values. Also, where is the Prius, whose used value is now higher than its initial purchase value.

Highly questionable article IMHO.
think before you stink
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...0QQ_pcatsZ6000
Old 09-01-08, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This list, to me, appears to be way out of date.

First of all, there is probably nothing else today in the American market that holds its value like a Toyota Prius, even with its super-geeky styling, annoying center-mount-gauges, quirky controls, and Roly-Poly handling (which, BTW, yields to good comfort and nice soft ride). Right behind it would probably be the Honda Civic Hybrid, which doesn't quite equal the Prius's efficiency and has a rougher drivetrain, but is equally well-built and more conventional inside and out. Just try and buy one of either today without getting on a waiting list.

The Suzuki products are mostly rebadged Korean Daewoo compact/mid sized cars.....Suzuki no longer sells their own designs in the U.S. Even the Vitara is shared (loosely) with other small GM SUV's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-08 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 01:33 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Not too sure of the accuracy of that report as far as the best vehicles go. For instance, VWs are known for their horrible reliabilty issues and depreciate significantly. Also G35s are now used in rental fleets which will take a significant toll on their future resale values. Also, where is the Prius, whose used value is now higher than its initial purchase value.

Highly questionable article IMHO.
Yeah right. VW has the highest residual value in the North American car market. This is based on JD Power.
Old 09-02-08, 05:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What we are overlooking here is that residual value is usually based on perception by fleet managers, not the actual quality of the vehicle, reliability, or performance. That's why the Jeep has a high residual value. It's a numbers game.

First, the Jeep is not a style leader. The Wrangler doesn't change much from year to year and it has a small but dedicated fan base that will support resale prices. For its intended purpose, practicality vs. fashion, used Jeeps are in unusually high demand - it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a new vehicle to bash through the bush. Finally, it is relatively inexpensive, so resale doesn't have to be particularly high to score well as a percentage of MSRP.

Looking at several of the Korean entries, they are faceless, basic appliances that occupy a competitive bottom sector of the market. They have a low resale value because the public still hasn't forgiven some of their early efforts in the US market. That will simply take time to overcome. Honda once occupied that same position.

You don't see luxury cars in these lists because their high initial price would require a huge resale value to produce a competitive percentage. One of the drawbacks of the luxury market is that "NEW" is high on the want list of a luxury buyer. One does not aspire to a ten-year old Rolls, although it may well be a "better" car than a lesser luxury make of more recent vintage.
Old 09-02-08, 06:32 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This article sucks.

If you look at used cars, for a decent 100k miles 10 year old Corolla, it would still be about 2k. If you look at our classified sections, most 10 year old Lexus still goes for 8k+.

The depreciation curves of cars is like a Gaussian distribution, during the first few years it will depreciate a lot and then the rate it loses value will slow down.

Thus if you have a okay made car, who's initial cost is low, it wont bottom at 1-2k after a few years, it will reach a natural limit of what is an acceptable price for a 5 year beater car.
Old 09-02-08, 04:02 PM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
Yeah right. VW has the highest residual value in the North American car market. This is based on JD Power.
That's pretty amazing if true, as this newest JD Power list identifies VW's horrible reliability ranking. Only Kia, Land Rover, Suzuki and Isuzu are worse.

So essentially they rank around #33 out of #37 brands. OUCH!

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...tings-by-brand
Old 09-02-08, 04:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Gals, let's remember this is projected. Some of those cars have not even been around for 5 years.

Also, things change. If gas is $1 a gallon in five years, that list is going to be a lot different than if it is $10 a gallon. If Kia/Hyundai continue to build good quality cars and start to move out of the rental car arena, their numbers will change dramatically. Anyway, the list is not set in stone, it is just projected.
Old 09-02-08, 05:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

That's pretty amazing if true, as this newest JD Power list identifies VW's horrible reliability ranking. Only Kia, Land Rover, Suzuki and Isuzu are worse.

So essentially they rank around #33 out of #37 brands. OUCH!

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...tings-by-brand
My mistake, it was a Kelly Blue Book study. Oh, and JD Power DID indeed name the 08' Passat the most improved automobile in Noth America.

Here's what KBB had to say about VW:

(transcript) Well -- brand the brand that that is our winner for best resale value award is Volkswagen and they have several vehicles. Several models on our top analysts the Volkswagen EOS, the Volkswagen rabbit. So they provide a lot of vehicles that are going to give very very good resale value over time we are looking at resale value over the course of five years of ownership the typical ownership period.

Q: What is about these cars?

Well there is a couple things when it comes to Volkswagen. There's an enthusiasm about the Volkswagen brand that is atypical in the industry people are very enthusiastic about owning Volkswagen's. We've seen Volkswagen kind of vault over some very very vaunted names in the marketplace Honda BMW among them so it's a big achievement for -- we think.

Nerad said vehicles that maintain their value best are quality-built and have brands that generate a lot of excitement among consumers. Volkswagen, the best resale brand on the list, has an enthusiasm around its brand that's atypical in the industry, he said.

"Volkswagen owners are evangelistic about their vehicles and this translates into good resale value," Nerad said. "That's because as you buy a Volkswagen, even as a used vehicle, you're kind of joining a club that's excited about the vehicle."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...DB233D84597%7D

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First of all, there is probably nothing else today in the American market that holds its value like a Toyota Prius,
Go look for a used 2000-2006 Jetta TDI. Better yet, a 2004-2005.5 Passat TDI. They hold their value ridiculously well.
Old 09-04-08, 06:43 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Gals, let's remember this is projected. Some of those cars have not even been around for 5 years.
I noticed this too. Thought it was suprising that, even though the BMW 1-Series has been on the market for all of NINE DAYS (hyperpole folks...don't bother correcting me), someone has already decided what everyone's going to pay for it 5 years from now.

As people who are currently trying to sell their houses are discovering, when it comes to the value of someting (be it a car or a house or a cat), it's not worth what you or some expert says it's worth, it's worth what someone's willing to pay for it.
Old 09-04-08, 10:51 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

90% of those cars are embarrasing to drive on the road. *If you are a car enthusiast*

i dont trust these or any other results...i have my own ideas about cars from what i have experienced. Because no matter how reliable your friends car is...when you buy one you MIGHT get one with alot of issues. You never know. I think paying more for your car is a good piece of mind. Not to mention the invisible red carpet that unrolls infront of my car everywhere i go.

I think most of those lists and all are just to push the cars that they want to be sold more.

Due to this list im sure 1/10 people who were not going to buy any of those cars will now get one because the one they wanted is not on this list... unfortunately some people do not do research and just go to a jeep dealership and get a jeep because the guy says ITS FULLY LOADED!!!

yea ok dude my lexus not fully loaded is still more "loaded" Not to mention 4 years down the line when my lexus doesnt sound like its falling apart going over potholes.

I had american cars and i dont understand how anyone can put american made cars on any top 10 list other than PIECE OF CRAP AVOID AT ALL COSTS...

but that may just be me... dont flame me if you are offended.. I wont flame you if you offend me